Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanaka vs. Felix?

AL only 5x5 deep keeper high inflation.

Tanaka is $31 for this year and next vs. Felix $36 and done this year (could technically give a year raise and have him for 2 years at $41). Pitching is scarce in the auction.

Who would you rather have?

I've never played an only league but I'd say Felix by a fair margin.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

No way on Tanaka. None. Zip. Nada. Oh hell no.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I wouldn't keep Tanaka at $31 even if Felix wasn't an option, and I'm a Yankee fan.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I wouldn't say hell no to Tanaka, but if you can keep only one, I agree, Felix is the correct choice, even if Tanaka's elbow is 100%.

Comment

It's just a matter of time before Tanaka needs TJ surgery.

Comment

agreed based on the parameters
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks fellas.

I didn't mean to leave anything out. I thought it was more straightforward than it is. Your responses have made me pause to reflect.

I am the Tanaka owner my only other starters are Roenis Elias at $2 and Ivan Nova at a buck. The Felix owner has put him on the trade block in CBS. The best pitcher back in the auction is Jeff Samardzija then Sonny Gray. It then drops to Ervin Sanatana or Verlander (who will be thrown back at $33). Very slim pickins.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Thanks fellas.

I didn't mean to leave anything out. I thought it was more straightforward than it is. Your responses have made me pause to reflect.

I am the Tanaka owner my only other starters are Roenis Elias at $2 and Ivan Nova at a buck. The Felix owner has put him on the trade block in CBS. The best pitcher back in the auction is Jeff Samardzija then Sonny Gray. It then drops to Ervin Sanatana or Verlander (who will be thrown back at $33). Very slim pickins.
                  So you're hoping he'll accept Tanaka in trade for Felix?
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

One thing to look at is whether all this pitching was acquired at these keeper prices at the start of the season or as free agents. There have quite a few AL pitching gems the past few years in the AL acquired as free agents, such that is it no longer necessary to have an ace to build a staff around, though getting one at a decent price still helps. If that was the case in your league, I wouldn't necessarily trade away hitting to get an ace.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      So you're hoping he'll accept Tanaka in trade for Felix?
                      No not with this owner. I think he is moving Felix to save cap money. I have another owner who is interested in Tanaka but I am not sure what he will pay.

I think Tanaka can give me the counting stats that I need if healthy. Given the lack of available pitching and some cap space. Keeping Tanaka I thought was a no brainer. I apparently have a glass ceiling when it comes to pitching. I very seldom spend over $30. The thought of spending $36 or even $41 on a pitcher is uncomfortable territory for me.

As a result of the responses. I am thinking about trying to trade Tanaka and trade for Felix. Kind of tricky because if either owner would get wind of it the prices both ways would change drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon1 View Post
                        One thing to look at is whether all this pitching was acquired at these keeper prices at the start of the season or as free agents. There have quite a few AL pitching gems the past few years in the AL acquired as free agents, such that is it no longer necessary to have an ace to build a staff around, though getting one at a decent price still helps. If that was the case in your league, I wouldn't necessarily trade away hitting to get an ace.
                        Many of the pitchers filtered through the rookies drafting process (low prices) kept or then traded when making a title push. Darvish is in the last year of a 5 year contract. He was drafted in the $5 slot then when needed given a two year raise. So he is $15 this year. Price was purchased in auction last year for $34 and will be kept.

I was thinking about keeping my offense and Tanaka. Now I am going to investigate what kind of deals are possible for both Tanaka and Felix.

Comment

Has there been ANY news this off season on Tanaka? I thought that there would at least be something. Has he done any type of throwing?

I have him at $23 and plan to keep him. It would be a blow if he were to only make a few starts. Any updates on him?

Comment

I think Adam Wainwright is the textbook example... he made it like 5 years before his UCL finally snapped.

So to turn this around... just because I'm curious if Felix was $36, how cheap does Tanaka have to be to make him preferable?

Do you take a $20 Tanaka over a $36 Felix? How about a $15 Tanaka? I'd expect most people would take a $10 Tanaka over a $36 Felix, especially if you could have Tanaka 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Says the elbow feels good. Still, his UCL is partially torn. I can't imagine that he'll avoid TJ surgery.....has anyone with a torn UCL ever come back long-term without surgery?

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/..._good_per.html
                              Ervin's was partially torn a few years ago and he has made it this far. There have been other cases of younger guys getting away with it for awhile, but it is rare now, because most prefer to get it out of the way rather than wait 1-3 years for it to finally give out. I mean, long term, the surgery is most often the right play, because it is a ticking time bomb, but it is one that gets set off in a controlled way more often now. On its own, it can keep ticking for awhile. A stressful player to have, but worth the risk at some price point. Not this price point for me, but I am risk adverse with injuries.

Comment

Working...
                              X