2k15: Javier Baez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k15: Javier Baez

Baez is currently the #9 2B in ADP, going 115th on average overall. Personally, I think that's a little crazy. OK, a lot crazy.

I completely understand his potential, but at this point, that's all it is. In his 229 PA MLB audition last season, he hit .169 with a whopping 95 Ks (41.5%). He did hit 9 HRs and had 5 SBs, so if one wanted to simply prorate that out, he'd hit 20+ HRs with double digit SBs over the course of a full season. As far as I can tell, his 41.5% strikeout rate is the highest ever in a season for a player with 200+ PAs. Human windmills like Mark Reynolds, Rob Deer and Adam Dunn never came close to that lofty percentage.

And recent reports about his Puerto Rican winter ball stats are just as dire, as he's struck out 27 times in 52 PAs. Dayum.

He's being drafted over the likes of fellow 2B-men Howie Kendrick, Daniel Murphy, Ben Zobrist, Neil Walker etc. That's just crazy talk.

The positives are his minor league numbers, but until those even remotely translate to the MLB level, I'm hands off for 2015. If he performs better than the four 2B named above, fantastic, I'm glad you took the huge risk.

He's pretty hard to project for 2015, since it's very possible he doesn't get anything close to meaningful ABs. Steamer has him with 589 PAs and a 30% K/AB rate, which is very optimistic, IMO. It all depends on that K rate. If he's at 30%+, no way does he come close to sniffing 589 PAs. Given his ADP cost, he's a massive risk for 2015.

For a redraft league, I can't see him being worth more than a later round pickup at this particular moment. With Jed Hoyer already saying that Baez has to earn his spot on the 25 man roster and with La Stella and Alcantara as backup plans at 2B, projecting more than major league 300 ABs in 2015 currently seems difficult IMHO. If he starts to show signs in spring training games that he can bring down the K rate a bit, then his short term value would climb quickly. I personally would not assume a rapid improvement until I see it first hand.

In a keeper or dynasty league, I think you still have to grab him somewhat quickly or hold onto him if you already have him. He has made reasonable adjustments at each minor league level to deserve promotions, so we still have to hope that he can do the same in the majors. It just may not happen very quickly.

Comment

Yeah, I'll be avoiding in a redraft league. The challenge will come in our auction league - if he's still with the team, I'm really struggling with figuring out how high to go on him.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

optioned to AAA today.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          optioned to AAA today.
          He strikes out way too much, and has no place to play. He plays very good defense and has power. His time will come it is just not now.

This would be a good time for people in keeper leagues to buy low and stash him.

Comment

crap. that is all.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
            X