Who to Keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to Keep?

Trying to decide who to keep in my 16 team points league (trying to defend the title I won last year). We keep 15 and have 30 man rosters, and have a $400 cap instead of $260, so salaries are at least 50% higher than you'd expect, given the cap and the extreme inflation due to so many keepers. Elite SPs also go for more than you'd expect, because it is a points league, and while years ago our system favored hitters, the shift in stats recently means elite arms outscore elite bats now by a fair bit--Kershaw, Kluber, Cueto, Hernandez, and Price all outscored Trout, the top bat, last year, and the scoring system is such that not only do elite arms outscore elite bats, but they outscore 2nd/3rd tier pitchers by a wide margin too, so their value is skewed, while lesser arms remain valued at what you'd expect.

A problem I have is that I have a big surplus of closers, with Holland, Jansen, Doolittle, McGee, and Davis on my roster, but I've shopped around and I can't deal any of them for close to what I'd get if I wait until the season gets roling and folks get desperate (my league is gun shy of closers in the offseason, but trades for them in-season once their sleeper MRs don't end up getting the closer job).

My decision players (guys not on guaranteed deals and or not no-brainers):

Howie Kendrick $20 (can be kept two years at this price)
    Alexei Ramirez $24 (can be kept 2 years at this price)
    Oswaldo Arcia $5 (must be extended or lost after this year)
    Felix Hernandez $69 (can be kept two years at this price; seems high, but that is what was paid in last year's auction and it was considered good value at the time. See explanation above about elite SPs in this scoring system; I'm fairly confident Kershaw will go for over $100 in the auction this year, for some perspective).
    Sean Doolittle $5 (can be kept 2 years at this price; I had some bites on him before the Clippard trade, but now folks are afraid he might lose his job)
    Jake McGee $5 (can be kept 2 years at this price; I had some bites on him before his injury)
    Wade Davis $5 (can be kept 2 years at this price; in our scoring system, which awards 3 points per hold vs 6.5 per save, and favors Ks, Davis was the 12th best reliever last year, despite not closing, and I think he could end up being a closer by year's end)

I like all of these guys, but one of them has to be cut. I'm leaning to cutting Davis or McGee, because keeping 5 relievers is not ideal, as I can only start 3, but I like them both a lot, and IF Davis ends up closing and McGee ends up healing well and not losing the job to Frieiri, both will have good in-season trade value. So, who would you cut? I could cut Arcia, because he might go for close to that in the auction, depending on when he goes. But I need a RFer, so keeping him makes sense over the RP options. I could cut one of that close to cost MIFers, but pickings are really slim at MIF in the auction this year, and our league starts 3 MIFers, but only 4 OFers, so MIF is a lot thinner than OF.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM.

can you keep all of them? in any case, i definitely keep king felix, given your explanation.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

If I read this right you need to cut one. I would cut McGee given your roster and what you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        If I read this right you need to cut one. I would cut McGee given your roster and what you have described.
        Yeah, I have to cut one. My other keepers are on long term deals or are better keepers than this lot. I'm surprised to see you recommend McGee get the ax over Davis, but you are probably right in the suggestion. Davis outscored McGee last year even without being a closer, and Mcgee might be out a couple of months, although early reports sound good.

The thing that irks me is I know if I let McGee go, he'll go for $15+, yet I can't get anyone to give me even a decent prospect for him right now. I'm tempted to cut Arcia, because OFers are devalued in this league (but so are closers). I like Arcia though.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-19-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

McGee would be my easy choice.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            McGee would be my easy choice.
            Even with an April return possible and reports that he will close when healthy?

Comment

" I have a big surplus of closers, with Holland, Jansen, Doolittle, McGee, and Davis on my roster" This combined with the injury and the fantastic numbers that Davis put up last year makes it an easy decision for me.

Arcia is a young potential 30 hr hitter for little money. Not going to cut him.

Comment

" I have a big surplus of closers, with Holland, Jansen, Doolittle, McGee, and Davis on my roster" This combined with the injury and the fantastic numbers that Davis put up last year makes it an easy decision for me.

Arcia is a young potential 30 hr hitter for little money. Not going to cut him.
                Yeah, I guess I am leaning toward cutting Arcia, because I am thinking of extending him a year. But why do that if I can get him in the auction for $10, and then have him longer at that price? Him being in a decision year and the closers not being there yet complicates things a bit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Even with an April return possible and reports that he will close when healthy?
                  If you can't deal him, yes. You have two other stud closers and one risky one and another stud RP in your scoring system. April return is only possible and him only probably having the closer role, and I'd cut him before Arcia. I'd keep Arcia for this year at $5 and let him back in the auction.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

How much is it to extend him? If it is $5 per year, I would easily give him one year.

Comment

How much is it to extend him? If it is $5 per year, I would easily give him one year.
                      Yea I think I would too given your budgets. And I agree that McGee is the one to cut.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Welp, that is why I posted. I couldn't make the call, as I see a lot of value in McGee, and I like that I don't have to make a decision on him this year. But the consensus is he is the one to cut. My thinking on a player who is due an extension, generally, is that if the extension brings him close to market value, then it is better to let him go, and try to get him back at the extension price. I THINK Arcia will go for around $10 on the open market, especially with the back issue rumblings, and that is preferable, because then I can keep him two more years at that. But he might go for more, and you all are right--he makes more sense for my team than McGee.

I'll continue to shop my closers though. I really hate that rotoworld speculated that Clippard could close for the As. I don't see that happening, as Doolittle is cheaper and on a long term deal whereas Clippard is gone after 2015. But them mentioning it scared off a potential deal I had for a cheap Phil Hughes.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-19-2015, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Man, I don't know how I feel about Arcia in a points league. I certainly wouldn't extend him. He's fine in roto because of the HRs, but the rest of the package isn't very good. How many pitchers would you keep (or I guess how many open slots would you have) if you kept McGee? That would be my biggest concern about keeping him since you seem to have a lot of pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Man, I don't know how I feel about Arcia in a points league. I certainly wouldn't extend him. He's fine in roto because of the HRs, but the rest of the package isn't very good. How many pitchers would you keep (or I guess how many open slots would you have) if you kept McGee? That would be my biggest concern about keeping him since you seem to have a lot of pitchers.
                            Out of 15 keepers, I'd be keeping 8 pitchers, if I kept McGee. But 5 of them would be relievers, which I have never done. Heck, I don't think that has been ever done in the 20+ year history of the league.

My three SP keepers are Kluber, Hernandez, and Lance Lynn. My pitching is what won it for me last year, as I also had Scherzer, Lester, and Hamels. But Scherzer and Lester are expired deals, and I traded Hamels for prospects to be able to afford to keep Felix. Going all in on pitching and letting that carry me worked, because this is a point league, and as I said, elite sps score a lot of points in this set up. My pitching, SPs and RPs, was just so much better than anyone else's, I dominated other teams who had much better hitters. So, I am not against keeping 8 pitchers at all. It's just having 5 RPs that worries me. I can only start 3 RPs, and would be looking to trade one of them in season ASAP, if I keep all 5. I had a Doolittle for Hughes deal lined up until Rotoworld scared off that owners with talk of Clippard closing.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

So, should I drop doolittle now? Shoulder scares me. I wish I had dealt him before the clippard deal. How does his risk compare to mcgee now?

Comment

Working...
                              X