Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting choice--NL-Only Keeper-possible trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting choice--NL-Only Keeper-possible trade?

If it works out a possibility, who? --and why?--would you rather have in this one:
    Dee Gordon--$20-2nd yr.
    A. Hechaverria--$1-2nd yr.

Remember, this is NL-only keeper league, $260. cap, 25 -man. Please consider the salary difference also, not just the player only.
    Thanks,
    Scottw
    Bearin' up!

I'll take Gordon, at least he's a contributor. Hechevarria is just as likely to lose you 5 bucks as he is to make you 5 bucks. I don't see a lot of alternatives to Dee in Miami so even if he hits .240 with a .290 OBP, he'll probably still get you 50 steals.

Comment

I think JC nails it. Hechavarria might have a few bucks of profit in a good year, but Gordon almost certainly breaks even and has big upside.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Gordon by a mile. While I don't love his salary it is not that bad.

Comment

Thanks, guys. anyone else?
          Bearin' up!

Comment

I wouldn't want Hechavarria on my keeper list. Even if you don't like Gordon at $20 he would have trade appeal (where Hechavarria has none).

Comment

Definitely Gordon. By some estimates Gordon earned nearly $40 last year in only leagues. Even if that doesn't repeat, he should be a lock to return profit. And bigger consideration: he's a difference maker; in most leagues you could get a real haul by trading him (especially mid-season). Can you say that for Hechevarria? Can you say that for $19 extra at auction? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Upside? From last year? Eh, I'm not sure about that.
                Upside from $20 was my thought. .240 and 50 steals earns $20 (if not more), and I think he has upside to that.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Edit: That all said, I can't imagine Gordon would go for less than $20 in an NL only, regardless of whether he should or not. He's clearly a better value than Hech.
                  I agree with this.

Comment

Gordon had a great year last year, relatively speaking, but let's not pretend that one good year (really one great half) makes him a "lock". His risk is precisely why he's not a great keeper, imo. Better than Hech is not a high bar to clear.

Can you tell us more about what the situation really is here? Which do you own? Are you looking to target one of the two? Why?
                    It doesn't look like it will happen now, as the Gordon owner can only see SB's dancing in his head and thinks a +.300 BA is in the cards, too. I am perfectly happy to take Hecheverria into the season at $1., as I can't find another SS to draft in dollar days who will be any better. As I have virtually no SB's on my keeper roster, I was willing to write off the other categories for Gordon. Thanks for the thoughtful replies: they pretty much confirm my own impressions. Personally, I see a better BA from Hecheverria than Gordon [not that either one will be all that!]. Is there any upside you can see from Adeiny?
                    Bearin' up!

Comment

Gordon having a bad second half is a bit over stated. He hit .284/.300/.348 with 21 steals in the second half. The biggest problem was he stopped walking and thus getting on base. But for fantasy purposes you could do a lot worse than Gordon's second half stats.

Comment

I don't see much upside in Adeiny, sadly. He doesn't hit the ball hard or particularly well in any respect and doubles down on the lack of a hitting tool with a lack of power. He then completes the triumvirate of offensive ineptitude by not running much, either.

Steamer projects him for: 4 HR, 48 RBI, 47 Runs, 9 SB, .248/.288/.345 and I think that's probably pretty close.

Still, in an NL only one of the very most important things is to get an adequate number of plate appearances from your guys in order to compete in the counting stats. Lots of teams end up rostering part timers by the end of auction. If this is a 12 team NL only, Adeiny is a palatable end game selection at SS. Depending on your other options I would not be excited to keep him and burn a keeper slot but you could feasibly do worse. If this is a 10 team NL only I would advise against Adeiny under any circumstance, really.
                        As you might guess, this is a very deep [40 players rostered] NL only, 12-team league, so having a regular SS who won't kill your counting stats is not a bad thing. Would I keep him for much more than $1? No, but, as you say, I could do much worse in dollar days! I'll happily give up a roster spot unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.
                        Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                          As you might guess, this is a very deep [40 players rostered] NL only, 12-team league, so having a regular SS who won't kill your counting stats is not a bad thing. Would I keep him for much more than $1? No, but, as you say, I could do much worse in dollar days! I'll happily give up a roster spot unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.
                          I play in the same size NL only league. I would certainly keep him for a buck if I had the roster space. That said he doesn't have much trade value.

Comment

That's what I thought, but 2 guys have each asked about trading for him. At $1.I guess he has some appeal.
                            Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                              That's what I thought, but 2 guys have each asked about trading for him. At $1.I guess he has some appeal.
                              What SS will be back in the auction to spend money on? If the trade is right, I do it and bid there.

Comment

Working...
                              X