2K15: Cole Hamels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K15: Cole Hamels

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding Hamels and his production going forward. There's a debate among Padre fans that he won't pitch through his contract even if he remains healthy because power pitchers who have 1700+ innings on their arms at 30 decline rapidly. That assuming his contract in a trade would be foolish. I contend otherwise because....

Many arms after 1700 IP, guys who have a 7K/9 rate or higher, seem to have 3-5 dominant-very good years left in them. Hamels has always remained relatively healthy. Over the past 5 years he seems to have hit stride as a pitcher culminating in last years outstanding numbers, though 2011 was pretty great as well. A move to Petco always helps. Balsley and the Padre bullpen don't hurt either.

So it's my contention that with a trade to the Padres Hamels will enjoy another 3-4 years of 5.5-6.5 War per season thus pitching through the majority of his contract at an elite status.

Help me out on this cuz I could be completely wrong about it.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Think about it this way, GITH/Doig: Hamels has a very expensive contract that approaches the market rate for top FA starters (see Kershaw, Greinke, others). The Padres are showing a willingness to spend but are probably still constrained. If you're going to take a risk on a player like that, is Hamels your guy? Or is it an Adrian Gonzalez-type? Seems like a wrong step could cripple the franchise for several years.

Comment

Which WAR are you looking at?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The thing is he really isn't signed to a market rate contract. He would get at least what Lester got on the FA market. So it's reasonable for the Phillies to ask for a little something for him. Hamels is signed at roughly 4 years/100mil, but also has a vesting option for 2019 that I'm not so sure about. So assuming you have to pick that up, you're saving about 1 year and 30mil at the end of the contract (compared to Lester.) Maybe not worth a team's 2 best prospects, but something.

He's a changeup guy and hasn't started losing his velocity yet, which means his change should stay effective for a while. I think he'd be a good pitcher for 3-4 years if not a Cy-Young contender. His numbers might look like Cy-caliber in Petco though. He had a 151 ERA+ last year. In Petco that's probably like a 2.30.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Which WAR are you looking at?
          huh, that's a bigger spread in WAR calculations than you usually see. baseball-reference has his last five years as 5.4, 6.6, 4.6, 4.6, 6.6. fangraphs has them as 3.5, 4.6, 4.4, 4.1, 3.8.

fangraphs RA9-WAR has him as 5.5, 6.3, 5.1, 3.0, 6.0. fangraphs uses fielding-independent stats for their regular WAR calculations and actual runs allowed for RA9-WAR; b-r uses runs allowed and also tries to figure in team defense somehow.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
          X