Rays sign Assdribble Cabrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rays sign Assdribble Cabrera

Now teams will start lining up throwing their best offers at the Rays for Zobrist (who is a FA after this season).

I was really hoping the Yankees would sign him. He would have been a great player to have as insurance for either second or short. We know Didi is a great fielder but who knows if he can hit enough. Adding to that two rookies competing for second base could be another offensive black hole. Cabrera would have been great insurance for either position. Oh well.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Rosenthal is reporting it's only a 1 year deal. Wow. He's 29. Thought there was actual interest in him (Yankees, Nats, among others)

One of the best under-the-radar free agents of the offseason is officially off the market, as infielder Asdrubal Cabrera has agreed to a contract...

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Rosenthal is reporting it's only a 1 year deal. Wow. He's 29. Thought there was actual interest in him (Yankees, Nats, among others)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ments-reaction
        And that makes me even more frustrated that the Yankees didn't sign him. I guess he only wanted a one year deal in the hopes of having a good year and getting a much better multi-year deal next off season.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

So Nick Franklin goes to Triple-A to start the season? It seems like he's had enough time on the farm at this stage, but maybe they want to eke out another year of control on him, too.

Also, what's the outfield shaping up to be in Tampa at the moment? Souza, an injury prone Desmond Jennings, and who else? Zobrist is still easily their best outfielder, so I don't think the Cabrera signing blocks him as much as it does Franklin. Just a thought. My guess is that the Rays will deal Zobrist, but they may not end up getting offers as enticing as his draft pick compensation will be the next year. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            And that makes me even more frustrated that the Yankees didn't sign him. I guess he only wanted a one year deal in the hopes of having a good year and getting a much better multi-year deal next off season.
            Seems like Yankee Stadium would have been a better place to improve your stock than Tampa's stadium (which is a pitcher's park). There's no way I would've gone to the Rays on a 1-year deal as an offensive-minded middle infielder unless that was literally the only offer I could get.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Cabrera has been really awful for a couple years now. I wouldn't lament not landing him too greatly.
              That's a good point. When you consider the Yanks options currently at second and short he's a good upgrade. On the other hand I do like how the Yankees do seem committed to getting younger when they can.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                So Nick Franklin goes to Triple-A to start the season? It seems like he's had enough time on the farm at this stage, but maybe they want to eke out another year of control on him, too.

Also, what's the outfield shaping up to be in Tampa at the moment? Souza, an injury prone Desmond Jennings, and who else? Zobrist is still easily their best outfielder, so I don't think the Cabrera signing blocks him as much as it does Franklin. Just a thought. My guess is that the Rays will deal Zobrist, but they may not end up getting offers as enticing as his draft pick compensation will be the next year. You never know.
                Franklin goes into the Sean Rodriguez role now.

OF right now would be Souza, Jennings, and Zobrist, but the odds of Zobrist being on the roster opening day are about the same as me making the roster. His market value is rather large right now when you consider Kendrick netted a guy like Heaney. Giants, Nats, and Rangers are just a few clubs that would come to mind for Zobrist.

I'm for getting Cabrera on a pillow deal, but I have no idea why his agent picked Tropicana Field for him to rebuild value.

Comment

Seems like Yankee Stadium would have been a better place to improve your stock than Tampa's stadium (which is a pitcher's park). There's no way I would've gone to the Rays on a 1-year deal as an offensive-minded middle infielder unless that was literally the only offer I could get.
                  There might be non-baseball related reasons in play here.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Franklin goes into the Sean Rodriguez role now.

OF right now would be Souza, Jennings, and Zobrist, but the odds of Zobrist being on the roster opening day are about the same as me making the roster. His market value is rather large right now when you consider Kendrick netted a guy like Heaney. Giants, Nats, and Rangers are just a few clubs that would come to mind for Zobrist.

I'm for getting Cabrera on a pillow deal, but I have no idea why his agent picked Tropicana Field for him to rebuild value.
                    Thanks for putting some home team perspective on it for me, Jason. That makes a lot of sense.

If/When Zobrist is dealt, who slots into the outfield at this point? Do the Rays have anyone of merit in the minors who's close?

Comment

Thanks for putting some home team perspective on it for me, Jason. That makes a lot of sense.

If/When Zobrist is dealt, who slots into the outfield at this point? Do the Rays have anyone of merit in the minors who's close?
                      Nobody in minors close

If Zobrist is dealt, OD OF would be Kiermaier, Jennings, Souza with Guyer platooning with Kiermaier struggles vs LH

Comment

Working...
                      X