Pirates sign Corey Hart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates sign Corey Hart

They tried getting him the last time he was available, but did so this time.

Did they add a DH in the National League when I wasn't looking?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Did they add a DH in the National League when I wasn't looking?
      Hart's a very good defensive 1B, actually. Not awesome, but above average for sure. Now health...that's another matter.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Hart's a very good defensive 1B, actually. Not awesome, but above average for sure. Now health...that's another matter.
        The Pirates kind of have Pedro Alvarez slotted in at 1B. Would they play Hart in RF? I guess he could platoon with Gregory Polanco for a while.

I guess Hart is the Gaby Sanchez replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          The Pirates kind of have Pedro Alvarez slotted in at 1B. Would they play Hart in RF? I guess he could platoon with Gregory Polanco for a while.

I guess Hart is the Gaby Sanchez replacement?
          RotoWorld is speculating he will platoon at first with Alvarez.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

A platoon at first sounds like a good idea.

Comment

The initial plan will probably be to platoon him with Alvarez at 1B, plus the occasional start in RF. Of course, this will all change when he gets hurt around game #10.

If I'm wrong on that, it may be an OK gamble for the Pirates, but on the surface it looks like one of those bad-old-days signings of a past-it-but-still-a-name veteran.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Still only 32 years old, Maybe Hart will benefit from a return to the NL Central. As long as his knees hold up. The Pirates are desperate for a power hitter and Hart is desperate to prove that he can still play. They could be a good match.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I actually like this deal. I thought I would hate it, since I expected Hart to get paid a lot more, but for 2.5mil it is worth the gamble. Gaby Sanchez got 2.3mil in arbitration last year and probably would have gotten more this year. For as good as Gaby is supposed to be, he hit .229/.293/.385 last year. Hart should be able to do better than that. And if he's healthy he can get some starts against righties when Pedro is in his monster slumps.

Comment

Working...
                  X