Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12-team AL 5x5 redraft league...what do you think about this squad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-team AL 5x5 redraft league...what do you think about this squad?

The day after the Boxscore auction, I had the auction for my AL-only league. Half of the owners are also in Boxscore, the other half are guys I've played roto with for many years. It is a redraft, so no keepers or inflation. Here's how it turned out:

C John Jaso $3
    C Alex Avila $4
    1B Kevin Youkilis $29
    CI Chris Davis $2
    3B Edwin Encarnacion $18
    2B Alexi Casilla $15
    MI Christopher Getz $4
    SS Alcides Escobar $15
    OF Shin-Soo Choo $30
    OF Rajai Davis $24
    OF Travis Snyder $14
    OF Lorenzo Cain $3
    OF Conor Jackson $1
    DH Travis Hafner

P Max Scherzer $23
    P Scott Baker $11
    P Joel Pineiro $4
    P Jeff Francis $3
    P Scott Downs $5
    P Daniel Bard $7
    P Jon Rauch $8
    P Frank Francisco $11
    P Matt Thornton $21

A little short on starting pitching, but I should have some surplus stolen bases and maybe some saves to trade. Stolen bases could be really good if Lorenzo Cain gets called up soon.

Doesn't appear to be much power in this lineup, unless a few things happen...Hafner gets his power back now that his shoulder has been repaired, Conor Jackson gets more ABs when that peanut brittle Oakland outfield starts tripping back and forth to the DL.

Not a great squad, but I think it can finish in the money.

How would you evaluate it? What needs to be my next move to fix it?

You need a big bat and a big arm. I agree you have lots of SB and will probably be able to trade a closer later down the road.

I would look to pick up an SP (how do FA work?) and see who has power to trade for speed.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
      You need a big bat and a big arm. I agree you have lots of SB and will probably be able to trade a closer later down the road.

I would look to pick up an SP (how do FA work?) and see who has power to trade for speed.
      We use the FAAB approach, but there's not anything left that I can see. I'll send out a message for a possible power/speed swap. Thanks.

Comment

I would call that a lot short on SPs and power. I don't really believe in Bard as the backup closer so I'd dangle him for a similar price SP. Do you have any reserves?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          I would call that a lot short on SPs and power. I don't really believe in Bard as the backup closer so I'd dangle him for a similar price SP. Do you have any reserves?
          No help at all in the reserves. I'll shop Bard around.

Comment

I agree with the others. Need to trade some speed and saves for power bat. And then another starter. The bat seems more important to me than the starter.
            Last edited by Gregg; 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Your offense doesn't have the horses right now. Your pitching will need a lot to break the right way in order to compete. I like your mixed team a lot better than this one. I'm not sure what to do to make this team work. The unfortunate thing is that you're short on star power, which diminishes your ability to trade in dump deals. Therein lies the downside of going middle-of-the road with guys like Choo and Escobar, etc.

I agree that if you think you can compete that you should try to trade for a big bat asap.
              Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's probably my worst auction in years.

I don't know why...I was very prepared. Physically, I wasn't 100%. I had a migraine and my lower back was hurting from the auction on Saturday, but this isn't the first time I've drafted with a bad migraine and I made it through the others fine.

It looks like I spent way too much on the infield, which didn't leave me the money I needed to finish out the outfield. Plus, I let myself get drawn into bidding on Rauch and Downs, and I should have avoided one or both of them.

It's a redraft league, so there's no dumping/playing for next year. I'll just have to do the best I can with what I have.

Comment

Working...
              X