2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    If a player is out of options, he has to pass through outright waivers (i.e., no team claims him) in order to be sent to the minors. If a team claims him and then wants to send him to the minors, they would need to pass him through outright waivers again in order to do so.

It's helpful (at least was to me) to remember that waivers = permission. Teams don't really "put a player on waivers", they request waivers from the other teams to make some sort of assignment of the player to another team. If that other team is in the minors, then they are requesting permission for an outright assignment, i.e., "outright waivers". If that other team is in the majors, then they are requesting permission for a trade, i.e., "trade waivers", which only applies from August to the end of the season. If the other 29 teams grant permission, then the player "passes through waivers." If one of the other 29 teams makes a claim, that means they refused to waive their rights to claim the player instead of allowing the requested transaction to proceed.
    Thanks for the education!
    1) If someone is on a MLB team 40-man roster, I assume they don't have to do waivers? Or maybe they still do?
    2) What options do MLB teams have for a guy who is out of options, but is maybe the 27th best player on their team, when everyone is healthy? Is there any way around this?
    3) Can a player "waive his right" to be out of options (E.g., a family man middle reliever on the AAA--MLB shuttle, kids are in school, he'd rather stay put instead of moving to another coast).
    4) Is there any sort of courtesy for the older AAAA player that ends up on the shuttle between major league and AAA?

Comment

• Originally posted by james33 View Post
      Thanks for the education!
      1) If someone is on a MLB team 40-man roster, I assume they don't have to do waivers? Or maybe they still do?
      2) What options do MLB teams have for a guy who is out of options, but is maybe the 27th best player on their team, when everyone is healthy? Is there any way around this?
      3) Can a player "waive his right" to be out of options (E.g., a family man middle reliever on the AAA--MLB shuttle, kids are in school, he'd rather stay put instead of moving to another coast).
      4) Is there any sort of courtesy for the older AAAA player that ends up on the shuttle between major league and AAA?
      1. If they are on the 40-man roster, and the team wants to keep them on the 40-man roster, they can option them to the minor leagues. Technically, a player has to clear optional waivers to be sent to the minors on option, but because optional waivers are revocable, teams extend each other the courtesy of not blocking optional assignments with waiver claims.

If a player is on the 40-man roster, and the team wants to take him off the 40-man roster to clear a spot for someone else, but the team would still like to retain the player in their minor league system, then they have to hope that the player will clear outright waivers. If the player clears outright waivers then he can be sent to the minors, with some exceptions. One of those exceptions is that if a player has been sent outright to the minor leagues at least once before, then he has the right to elect free agency rather than reporting to the minor league club.

2. There is no way around it, other than hoping they clear outright waivers. It stinks for the team, but it's in the rules of the good of baseball, to prevent teams from stockpiling forever talent that they don't intend to use at the MLB level.

3. No. When he gets six years of service time, he can go wherever he wants, but until then, no.

4. No, but typically they don't end up in that kind of situation. Once a player has completed his original minor league contract (7 years), if he hasn't made the big leagues by that point, he is a minor league free agent and can sign with any team. Typically those players sign one-year contracts in a situation of their choosing. But then if they are selected to the 40-man roster and are out of options (which they may not be), and a team wants to outright them to the minor leagues, they go through the same waiver process as everyone else.

A team is typically not going to claim a player like that unless they have a major-league opportunity for them, so it's not necessarily a bad thing for them. But occasionally you see a guy getting passed around to three or four teams on waiver claims in a year, and that has to suck for them.

We typically try to be cognizant of the fact that players are human beings and not to claim them unless we have a real opportunity for them that we think will last, but we're not always perfect at predicting that. And not every team follows that same sort of thinking process.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Brett Wallace: any hope for playing time (with Myers to the OF)?

fangraphs' values, using Steamer, have Wallace at $2-$3. He wasn't selected in toutwars.

Comment

• Originally posted by james33 View Post
          Brett Wallace: any hope for playing time (with Myers to the OF)?

fangraphs' values, using Steamer, have Wallace at $2-$3. He wasn't selected in toutwars.
          Wallace will be the back up at both corners. I see something like 400 abs more if Myers gets hurt.

If the Padres do trade for panda, that of course would change everything.

I don't see Myers in the Of at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Padres talking to Mariners about sending them a RH relief arm, Vincent, Quack or Edwards

I could see them claiming Montero and making that kind of deal.
            Vincent was traded to the Mariners today for a PTBNL.

Comment

• Any update on Panda to SD? Would love to acquire a guy like that via Faab and have a regular player for a full season to fill a roster hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                Any update on Panda to SD? Would love to acquire a guy like that via Faab and have a regular player for a full season to fill a roster hole.
                Preller just said there won't be another deal before opening day. So hopefully, no.

Green said while Morrow doesn't have a for sure spot in the rotation, he pretty much said, once he's healthy, he''s got a post in the rotation.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• When in doubt in NL-only, grab a SD MR for $1. Any good options this year beyond Maurer?

Comment

• So Pomeranz grabs a spot in the rotation meaning Rea or Erlin gets the 5th, Erlin has somewhat out-pitched Rea and Rea has options so....Whomever get's the nod is IMO a place holder for Morrow so maybe one start.

So Pomeranz gets the 4th spot??

Bullpen is Rodney to Close, Villanueva, Thornton, Quack, Maurer round out the short guys and I have to think the Padres keep the loser of the #5 race in the pen as long men. They have given the 2 rule V guys a long leash but both Martin and Perdomo have pretty much sucked. Edwards will start on the DL so the only possible surprise candidate for the BP is Butcher, though I don't really see it.

Amarista is starting the season on the DL in his inevitable release from the team. That means Pirela and Weeks are backing up the IF. Wallace might be hurt and Rosales has some on strong late so if there's a move, Rosales might grab the last bench spot. Blash looks like a lock to make the team, though he could end up the PTBNL in the Vincent trade if he doesn't (even though that's been denied).

It'll obviously all shake out by tomorrow.

Hope some of this was helpful
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So it looks like Rea grabbed the #5 spot in the rotation. Erlin will be going to AAA instead of into the BP where Butcher did claim the last spot, though the fact they Kept Rule 5 guy Perdomo (he reaallly sucked but they must like his stuff down the road) Was the real reason he missed out on the BP.

So 13 pitchers,

Blash and Janko on the roster.

Means they're going light on the IF bench.

Rosales makes it because of apparent positional versatility (hitting 4 bombs, 4 games in a row down the stretch didn't hurt either)

Wallace is apparently good to go.

Bethancourt is obvious.

So Pirela and Weeks, whom I thought out played everyone vying for a bench spot, miss out.

Hey it's opening day and the Padres are in 1st place!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Listening to Aaron Boone on Sunday Night Baseball gives me chills because he sometimes sounds like the late Tony Gwynn, who also did commentary on ESPN games.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• In a rebuilding year I snatched Melvin Upton for $5 in my 11-team NL-only - he's going to get most of the starts right? Any idea what spot he'll hit in the lineup?

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            In a rebuilding year I snatched Melvin Upton for $5 in my 11-team NL-only - he's going to get most of the starts right? Any idea what spot he'll hit in the lineup?
                            He should unless this Blash kid takes off. I grabbed him too because he should get 500 abs and if he can build on last years return to form, you got something at $5.

He'll hit at the lower part of the order unless he gets hot. But right now It's Jay, Kemp and Myers 1, 3, 4 with Norris at 5. If Spang struggles he could grab that 2nd spot.

But as in everything, everything must go exactly right for this to come about.

Starting with Melvin and his play.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I always like betting on a guy with a quality pedigree who has shown skills in the past and Melvin fulfills those requirements. Pretty sure he won't sniff 30/30 again like he did in his prime, but he's not that old and if he could manage 15/15 with a manageable OBP he'll easily outearn his $5 price tag.

Comment

• I ended up snagging Pomeranz late in my auction for more than I would have paid if more options were available at the time. I decided to overpay for his upside rather than play it safe with my end game cash. I'm hoping it pays off. He has teased a break out for years. Maybe if he can stay healthy for once it will finally happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X