No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      $25ish mil a year...a steal for a player of his talent
      He's not even the highest paid player on his team.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        He's not even the highest paid player on his team.
        Ha, still a great deal for him. If he invests even half the extra money he is getting on the front end of this deal, by the end of the contract, he will be well ahead of where he would have been if he waited for FA and signed essentially the same deal for 3-4 less years.

Comment

• he's 22, and he signed a contract for a third of a billion dollars.

boggles the mind.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Obviously, baseball is in horrible financial straights. Barely able to squeak by...

Yeah, good luck playing THAT card next year in the upcoming labor dispute. And remember, San Diego is considered a small market. I'll bet the other owners are livid right about now...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Ha, still a great deal for him. If he invests even half the extra money he is getting on the front end of this deal, by the end of the contract, he will be well ahead of where he would have been if he waited for FA and signed essentially the same deal for 3-4 less years.
              Without knowing the terms of the contract, especially what the money looks like in those early years, it’s too early to say that.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

$25ish mil a year...a steal for a player of his talent
                Agreed. Once again, the owners make out like bandits. The overall money is incredible in the context of “normal people”...but he’s probably leaving a lot of money on the table.
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                  Agreed. Once again, the owners make out like bandits. The overall money is incredible in the context of “normal people”...but he’s probably leaving a lot of money on the table.
                  Agree per money on the table, though in my IPA contemplations last night, I realized it's less than I thought. Revo, being the financial wizard on the board, can do the math better than I can, but Tatis will get somewhere from $50-80 mil more in the next three years than he would have, and that can come with a pretty big time value of money with it if he's smart about putting a chunk of that away.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Obviously, baseball is in horrible financial straights. Barely able to squeak by...

Yeah, good luck playing THAT card next year in the upcoming labor dispute. And remember, San Diego is considered a small market. I'll bet the other owners are livid right about now...
                    Interesting - I came to the exact opposite conclusion and that agents were gonna be PO'd since the owners will point to a guy with Trout-level talent getting $25 mil/year instead of $40-45 mil/year. It not only impacts FA contracts, but also arbitration values.

OTOH, I agree with Sour Masher that it's a great deal for Tatis, jr. too.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Interesting - I came to the exact opposite conclusion and that agents were gonna be PO'd since the owners will point to a guy with Trout-level talent getting $25 mil/year instead of $40-45 mil/year. It not only impacts FA contracts, but also arbitration values.
                      I think everyone in those type negotiations grasps the difference between pre-arb contracts and free agent contracts. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

Maybe, but it is close and a hell of a lot better than Acuna's awful deal. Unlike Acuna, I doubt Tatis ends up regretting this deal.

Comment

Agree per money on the table, though in my IPA contemplations last night, I realized it's less than I thought. Revo, being the financial wizard on the board, can do the math better than I can, but Tatis will get somewhere from $50-80 mil more in the next three years than he would have, and that can come with a pretty big time value of money with it if he's smart about putting a chunk of that away.
                          Considering the way the Acuna deal was structured, I don't think there's any way he's getting that much in the next three years. I'd be surprised if he makes more than $26 million over the next three seasons (I'd assume something like $2 million, then $9 million, then $15 million)...and that's probably not far off from what he'd have received in arbitration.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Maybe, but it is close and a hell of a lot better than Acuna's awful deal. Unlike Acuna, I doubt Tatis ends up regretting this deal.
                            Last season, Bellinger received $11.5 million in his first year of arbitration (the record). Arenado set the overall arbitration record with a $26 million dollar deal in his final year. So let's assume the following:

2021: $500K (final pre-arb season)
                            2022: $12M
                            2023: $20M
                            2024: $28M (final arb season)
                            2025 - 2034: $35 million per season for 10 seasons (via free agency)
                            Total: $410.5M (which may be slightly conservative seeing as how Trout received $426.5)

Thus, Tatis has probably left $70 - $100 million dollars on the table. Even billionaires believe that's a lot of money, so to a brand new millionaire...that's definitely significant.
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Last season, Bellinger received $11.5 million in his first year of arbitration (the record). Arenado set the overall arbitration record with a $26 million dollar deal in his final year. So let's assume the following:

2021: $500K (final pre-arb season)
                              2022: $12M
                              2023: $20M
                              2024: $28M (final arb season)
                              2025 - 2034: $35 million per season for 10 seasons (via free agency)
                              Total: $410.5M (which may be slightly conservative seeing as how Trout received $426.5)

Thus, Tatis has probably left $70 - $100 million dollars on the table. Even billionaires believe that's a lot of money, so to a brand new millionaire...that's definitely significant.
                              Your $70-$100m deficit is the combination of injury risk, market risk, and decreased performance risk along with net present value of money. Consider that the $10m signing bonus alone is worth ~$20m in 14 years.

Seems about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Your $70-$100m deficit is the combination of injury risk, market risk, and decreased performance risk along with net present value of money. Consider that the $10m signing bonus alone is worth ~$20m in 14 years.

Seems about right.
                                I agree. Perhaps more risk for Tatis. My guess is he would have done better on a shorter contract...but locking in hundreds of millions of dollars is also not a bad idea. He is clearly financially secure for life so all he needs to deal with is the ego/mental aspect of wishing he got tens of millions more as the contract plays out
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X