2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Rotoworld:

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that free agent right-hander Adam Wainwright "has received several competitive offers," including one from the Padres.
    Goold labels the Padres' offer as "current," so it's apparently still on the table even after the club added Yu Darvish, Blake Snell, and Joe Musgrove this offseason in a series of blockbuster trades. Wainwright would presumably want to be locked into an Opening Day rotation spot wherever he lands, and San Diego might not be able to guarantee that, but perhaps he'll simply take the richest contract he can find as he enters his age-39 campaign. Wainwright pitched to an excellent 3.15 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, and 54/15 K/BB ratio over 65 1/3 innings with the Cardinals in 2020. He has spent his entire 15-year MLB career with St. Louis, at least up to this point.

Comment

• I like the Melancon signing, but I wouldn't pencil him in as closer just yet. Some are saying he will be, but those closer to the team are suggesting he'll be a high leverage RH arm and Pegan/Pomeranz will compete or share the closer spot.

I also wouldn't count out Rosenthal being added, even though it seems like there's no room--The Padres are known for trades/deals in ST when they have too many ML ready players and not enough minor league options.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I like the Melancon signing, but I wouldn't pencil him in as closer just yet. Some are saying he will be, but those closer to the team are suggesting he'll be a high leverage RH arm and Pegan/Pomeranz will compete or share the closer spot.

I also wouldn't count out Rosenthal being added, even though it seems like there's no room--The Padres are known for trades/deals in ST when they have too many ML ready players and not enough minor league options.
        Enjoy the ride sir enjoy the ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Enjoy the ride sir enjoy the ride.
          As a long time Cubs fan, I'm sure you can relate to the euphoria that comes with a team crawling out of the morass of so many shitty seasons to a bright immediate future.

I will indeed enjoy every second of this Padres evolution.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Padres sign Keone Kela today further crowding the BP picture, so thought I'd take the time to run down the Padres roster (potential ST battles) from my perspective.

First, roster breakdown.

The Padres look to carry 12-13 Position players and 13-14 Pitchers into the regular season. They have quite a bit of positional flexibility as Kim, Machado, Cronenworth, Profar, Mateo and Nola can all play multiple positions on the infield. Mateo and Profar can also play in the OF and O'Grady can ply IF as well. If they want to go 14 arms, Mateo looks to be the one starting in the minors over O'Grady

As of today (and barring a Preller last minute trade)

Ca:

Austin Nola
            Victor Caratini

IF:

Eric Hosmer
            Jake Cronenworth
            Manny Machado
            Fernando Tatis Jr.

OF:

Tommy Pham
            Trent Grisham
            Wil Myers

Bench:

Ha-seong Kim
            Jurickson Profar
            Brian O'Grady
            Jorge Mateo

Barring Injury this is the starting 5:

Yu Darvish
            Blake Snell
            Dinelson Lamet
            Joe Musgrove
            Chris Paddack

That leaves 8 spots in the pen of which these guys are locks:

Drew Pomeranz
            Emilio Pagán
            Mark Melancon
            Keone Kela

And these guys battling for 4-5 spots:

Matt Strahm
            Pierce Johnson
            Dan Altavilla
            Tim Hill
            Craig Stammen
            Austin Adams
            Michel Baez
            José Castillo
            Taylor Williams
            Javy Guerra
            Adrian Morejon
            Ryan Weathers

Now of those guys, Morejon and Weathers would be the first options to replace Lamet should he follow Clevinger to the TJ list. I have to think Morejon would be first in line. Both could start the year in the minors simply to keep them stretched out for potential spot start duties, though the team could keep ONE out of ST. I don't see that happening.

The guys with $$$ contracts are Johnson, Stammen and Strahm. Johnson seems to have a spot as does Strahm, though Strahm's knee had surgery in the off-season so if that is all good, that's one more. Stammen has been in a downward trend overt the past couple of years but is owed 4 million. Unless he lights it up in ST I can see him being traded or released as there are just too many other options the Padres have and in the battle for the MNL West, every small improvement is important.

The guys without options are Gurrera, Altavilla and Stammen. Of those I only see Altavilla getting a spot, though if Gurrera pitches to his FIP, I know the team loves the guy and believes his arm is something special and that he'd be claimed if they put him on waivers. That's 3 guys so far.

Hill and Adams are the 2 names I hear mentioned as arms who the Padres seem set on breaking camp with though Castillo has been mentioned as well.

Barring injury and/or trade (which I believe there will be one of prior to opening day if most or all these guys pitch to form, this is the Padre BP I see emerging from ST"

Drew Pomeranz
            Emilio Pagán
            Mark Melancon
            Keone Kela
            Matt Strahm
            Pierce Johnson
            Dan Altavilla
            Tim Hill
            Austin Adams

That's 14 arms--I think they'll break camp with that and send Mateo down (health caveat)

Morejon, Castillo might bump a guy off if the feel they're too righthanded.

Well that was fun, 26 players, let's see how close I get this year.

Updates to come throughout ST.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• GITH - Two quick questions - who are you thinking is first man up in the OF if someone gets hurt, and closer by committee or figure it out in ST and designate a closer? Thanks!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                GITH - Two quick questions - who are you thinking is first man up in the OF if someone gets hurt, and closer by committee or figure it out in ST and designate a closer? Thanks!
                I'm sure they'll enter ST with Pom and Pegan as the top 2 contenders for saves. If both pitch to their best, they may share duties in the RS. It's kind of cool they have 4 guys with closing Exp now. So for me--it's too close to call.

The OF question, Profar will be getting close to 500 ABs if he performs like he did in 2020 so for me, he's the #1 option, then O'Grady.

Don't think I'm weird, but if the NL adopts the DH, I can see the Padres signing a Jackie Bradley Jr or Puig with Puig being the most likely as he'd fit this team with his personality.

If you meant... who do the Padres Promote? Ona was the first call in 2020 and is the only OF on the 40. There really isn't a guy in the minors who's ready--every OF prospect is too far away from making the ML roster.

So if you meant--next IN, Profar then O'Grady (not thinking Mateo will ever be more than a Def replacement or PR) If you meant next UP then Ona. But like I've said quite a bit--I don't think Preller is done, especially if the NL allows the DH at the last moment.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Thanks - I did mean which player on the roster would get most of the OF ABs if there's an injury.

Comment

Thanks - I did mean which player on the roster would get most of the OF ABs if there's an injury.
                    I don't think that's the question in SD. One of Kim/Cronenworth/Profar will play second and all can play OF with Myers, Pham, and Grisham already there. That's the starts for two injuries assuming SD thinks that Pham and Myers can still play center if needed (they both have within the past few years).

Comment

• I think the Padres might hate fantasy players

Apathetic might be a better adjective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        I think the Padres might hate fantasy players

El Nino send a bat Flip your way

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          I think the Padres might hate fantasy players

I can keep Cronenworth for $10 in a 16-team mixed 5x5. I was going to at the start of the off-season. Now, yeah, no. Too many good players, not enough positions. Sort of like Dodgers' SP's. I wonder who they are trying to beat...

Comment

• Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Fernando Tatis Jr. has agreed to a 14-year, $340 million contract extension with the Padres.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• $25ish mil a year...a steal for a player of his talent

Comment

$25ish mil a year...a steal for a player of his talent
                                Yeah, for sure, but it is a win-win, for sure, in this case. That is a MASSIVE contract, and the young man gets access to the big payday way earlier than he would have. It is a fantastic move by the Padres--if I am a Padres fan, I am over the moon right now. But it also makes total sense for Tatis given the long slog to free agency under the current CB. He wasn't gonna be a FA until 2025, so I totally get him doing this now. He just signed the 3rd largest contract in MLB history. Everyone is super happy right now--him, his family, and every one in Pads nation.

Comment

Working...
                                X