• Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 16m16 minutes ago

Padres acquire rhp Shawn Kelley from yanks for john barbato
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Seth Smith to Seattle for Brandon Maurer is a done deal.

Padre Bullpen is looking strong!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        he only started 102 games. he had a back strain in Sept that I think dated back to spring training, and some other ailments, iirc, during the season. he kept off the DL, but "not truly healthy" can compete with "2013 career year" as reasonable narratives. He hit .264 in 2nd half with 6 HR and 8 SB and about a 109 OPS+ in just 178 AB (fewer than when he was horrible in the first half with 528 OPS vs 721 in 2nd half).

Rotisserie value, where Venable fares better, is -1 for 1st half and 16 for 2nd half, per Forecaster

problem all players have is that if you are horrible in 1st half and decent in 2nd, you can't do enough to convince people that you weren't that bad in the 2nd half. while some players get off to a decent start, narrative is reinforced, and not that much notice when they crater in 2nd half....
        he only started 102 games because he sucked, not because he was hurt.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• he clearly did not suck in the 2nd half (see stats). he wasn't great, but he didn't suck. sore back and sore foot among the ailments.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Suck or not, he's going to be relegated to a back up role if he stays in SD. I think he can thrive in that role as there will be NO pressure to carry the team like there has been the past 3 years.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• yeah, he could be OK as a sub OF
              of course, he's going to get a pay cut from me for the privilege!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                he clearly did not suck in the 2nd half (see stats). he wasn't great, but he didn't suck. sore back and sore foot among the ailments.
                i've seen the stats. and followed fairly closely last year. we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. GITH is probably right - in a backup role he'd likely be fine.
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Buncha news outta the Padre camp:

- Venable looks like he's staying.
                  - Quentin won't be moved for perhaps another couple months, if at all. Sounds like the medicals on his shredded knees are really bad.
                  - AJ Preller said not to expect any more big splashes. No Hamels, then?
                  - Josh Johnson has just now started playing long toss. His signing was just announced today. The Padres designated Jake Goebbert, who struggled with the big league club but annihilated AAA last year.
                  Where did you hear this?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• minor league depth?

The Padres have signed former closer Jose Valverde to a minor league deal, Baseball America's Matt Eddy tweets. San Diego …

Pads sign Valverde, Mateo and Elbert.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      minor league depth?

The Padres have signed former closer Jose Valverde to a minor league deal, Baseball America's Matt Eddy tweets. San Diego …

Pads sign Valverde, Mateo and Elbert.
                      for their fans' sake, I hope so. Elbert may prove useful if his elbow holds up.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        for their fans' sake, I hope so. Elbert may prove useful if his elbow holds up.
                        yeah I doubt any of these guys sees a ML inning. The Padres are very deep in the pen. Very.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• 2016 All Star game is going to be in Petco Park......finally.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            2016 All Star game is going to be in Petco Park......finally.
                            All we had to do was name a street after Der Seilig

Comment

• How exciting is it to be a SD fan these days? Very cool about all that has happened recently. Hopefully you guys don't wake up from your dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                                How exciting is it to be a SD fan these days? Very cool about all that has happened recently. Hopefully you guys don't wake up from your dream.
                                I hope you're right and BTW It's Whale's Vagina........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X