No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe not, but I highly doubt he'll be a Padre come spring training. They will absolutely have to eat his contract to move him, but he's a serviceable DH for someone. he hits when healthy, but playing in the field always leads to injury for him.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star reports that Japanese infielder Takashi Toritani is "mulling offers" from the Blue Jays and Padres.
      A Scott Boras client, Toritani could potentially start at his familiar position of shortstop with the Padres, while the Blue Jays would ask him to move to second base. Toritani, 33, batted .313/.406/.415 with eight home runs and 10 stolen bases in 144 games with the Hanshin Tigers of Nippon Professional Baseball in 2014. He's a free agent, so it will not require a posting fee to sign him. However, it's not a given that he'll come to the states, as Toritani could ultimately decide to re-sign with Hanshin. The infielder is expected to require only a 1-2 year contract and will make a decision sometime next month- Rotoworld

Comment

calling venable a "solid LH bat" is a stretch after last year (79 OPS+). yes, he's one year removed from an OK year (i wouldn't put much emphasis on 20/20 - look at his OBA and K:BB ratio - ugh), but he looked awful last year. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they moved him if anybody would take him.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Venable was banged up all of 2014, and 106 OPS+ for career even with that debacle. Versatile, with speed - few teams have 5 or 6 better OF options, so someone will definitely take him.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Quentin and Maybin have negative trade value. Fed Ex has no options and cannot be sent to AAA unless he clears waivers. Barmes is for sure the SS unless he gets hurt, imo. He's on a major league contract and Amarista is not really major league caliber.
            Wow, go away for a couple of years and my insight diminishes. I left the board not the Padres. But whatever, this isn't a competition it's to give you what I see happening ahead of the time it does so you can keep it in mind while you manuver your offseason rosters towards your auctions..........

let me put it ANOTHER WAY.

MAYBIN IS LESS VALUABLE THAN vENABLE WHO WILL REMAIN ON THE TEAM AS A RESERVE PLAYER FOR HIS DEFENSE IN cf, i AM PRETTY SURE i MENTIONED THAT, AND HAS HAD A BETTER YEAR THAN Q OR MAYBIN AND IS FAR LESS EXPENSIVE.

Well that wasn't expected, but I think I'll leave it.

Quentin and Maybin will not be Padres come opening day. fedex might be out of options, but Preller has already shown he wants someone else backing up Norris when he tried to sign Ross. Barmes? not a fucking chance he's the starter.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Easy, fella. It's ok if we disagree about some things......like, for example, your assertion that the moves the Padres have made amount to "10-15 more wins." I disagree with that.

And Barmes is a wizard with the glove - one of the very best in the majors. He may not end up starting but right now he's the clear frontrunner (I don't even think there's really a competition, honestly.) Of course that would change if they acquire another, better shortstop.

And you said, and I quote: "Catcher Starts with Norris, but I don't see them starting with Federowicz on the ML roster. The Padres have already attempted to sign his replacement once and I can see them actually accomplishing that by opening day, pushing Fedex to AAA." No they won't push him to AAA. He is out of options. They may release him or DFA him or whatever but they won't push him to AAA unless he clears waivers (which I doubt he would, but I could be wrong.)

I'm not attacking you, I'm just adding what I know about the Padres and their players, which might not be as much as you but is far from nothing.
              Too much Don Julio last night to agree with the Devil in the morning. I completely disagree regarding Barmes being the clear starter over Amarista. Fedex was going where if they'd signed Ross? I appreciate the additional insight.

PS Dodgers suck.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The Padres need some sort of glove wizard, because their defense was mediocre at best and is trending down. Myers is being called a liability in CF, though mediocre is more likely. Given the injury, league average is his upside, but it's a reasonable one. Ironically, the team's OF is the mirror opposite of Myers parent team, the Royals.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Gosh, I hope the Pads are foolish enough to try and run Fedex through waivers. My Brewers could use a better backup C.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

wow, a frenzy for a C with a career 54 OPS+ in 247 MLB AB!

and if last year is most important, he was 8 for 71 (.113) with a 1 OPS+.
                    sure, defense matters and he does hit in AAA at 10,000 feet, but ....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• agree with elD - easy big fella . we know you know more about the padres than most (all?) of us, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree (as long as it's civil).

i still maintain venable is an average (at best) hitter (career wOBA of .318, average WAR of ~2). to JJ - he actually wasn't hurt that much of 2014, he appeared in 146 games. you are probably right, GITH, that the pads will keep him for his glove, but it might be as much because they can't move him as they really want him there. it will be interesting how the pads OF plays out...
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Gosh, I hope the Pads are foolish enough to try and run Fedex through waivers. My Brewers could use a better backup C.
                        maybe they'll flip him too.....They have already shown they would rather have another Catcher to back up Norris.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                            agree with elD - easy big fella . we know you know more about the padres than most (all?) of us, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree (as long as it's civil).

i still maintain venable is an average (at best) hitter (career wOBA of .318, average WAR of ~2). to JJ - he actually wasn't hurt that much of 2014, he appeared in 146 games.
                            he only started 102 games. he had a back strain in Sept that I think dated back to spring training, and some other ailments, iirc, during the season. he kept off the DL, but "not truly healthy" can compete with "2013 career year" as reasonable narratives. He hit .264 in 2nd half with 6 HR and 8 SB and about a 109 OPS+ in just 178 AB (fewer than when he was horrible in the first half with 528 OPS vs 721 in 2nd half).

Rotisserie value, where Venable fares better, is -1 for 1st half and 16 for 2nd half, per Forecaster

problem all players have is that if you are horrible in 1st half and decent in 2nd, you can't do enough to convince people that you weren't that bad in the 2nd half. while some players get off to a decent start, narrative is reinforced, and not that much notice when they crater in 2nd half....
                            Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Marlins are nosing around a Haren for a Padre OF trade, since Haren doesn't want to play in MIA. Haren for Maybin or Venable? I think I like Haren in Petco, even though that outfield defense will give him nightmares.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                Marlins are nosing around a Haren for a Padre OF trade, since Haren doesn't want to play in MIA. Haren for Maybin or Venable? I think I like Haren in Petco, even though that outfield defense will give him nightmares.
                                Would be a great trade for MIA. Not sure about SD.

Comment

Working...
                                X