2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    Will Carlos Asuaje hold the starting job at this point and be productive? I was planning on keeping Adam Frazier at 2B over Asuaje at tonight's transaction deadline, but I'm (probably foolishly) rethinking after his HR and 4 RBI last night. Most projections show Frazier as the better fantasy play, though.
    Padres have a couple of ways to go here. Myers is locked in and I am presuming Margot is as well. Pirela can play LF or 2B and you have Cordero and Asuaje needing at bats. Renfroe looks buried and isnt an issue. I am not sure which way they go.

Glad I could not help . I own Pirela so I have a vested interest as well.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Will Carlos Asuaje hold the starting job at this point and be productive? I was planning on keeping Adam Frazier at 2B over Asuaje at tonight's transaction deadline, but I'm (probably foolishly) rethinking after his HR and 4 RBI last night. Most projections show Frazier as the better fantasy play, though.
      I like Frazier more, but I think Asuaje still gets more PT. I don't see the Padres committing to Pirela full time at 2B, though lord knows maybe they should see if they can find a place for his bat. Frazier has nowhere to play once Jay-Hey comes back, but the Pirates will surely find an injury somewhere or just trade someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I targeted and got him in the end game of our NL only 5x5. I worry a bit about his playing time this year.

He has huge potential...I hope. If he can be George Springer, I just need him to get there quicker than George did. It took Georgie awhile.
        Last night was Cordero in a nutshell: whiff, lineout with 116+mph exit velocity, whiff, 450+ ft. HR, infield single (showing the speed), ground out to pitcher.

Comment

• Cordero in tonights lineup. Asuaje isnt. Pirela at 2B
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Who is Eric Lauer and why do the Padres think starting him in Coors is a good plan?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Who is Eric Lauer and why do the Padres think starting him in Coors is a good plan?
              tough love?

Comment

Who is Eric Lauer
                Shouldn't be too far off the radar he was a 1st round pick less than 2 years ago.

Average stuff across the board. Low 90s fastball tops out at 94, average secondary pitches but seems to make it work - ~10K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 across several levels in the minors. Sounds similar to Luchessi in that he relies on deception (probably a lazy comparison since they are teammates, but that's who the description reminds me of)

Profiles as a ~#4 starter but may have some upside on top of that

Comment

Who is Eric Lauer and why do the Padres think starting him in Coors is a good plan?
                  A gascan, and no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Shouldn't be too far off the radar he was a 1st round pick less than 2 years ago.

Average stuff across the board. Low 90s fastball tops out at 94, average secondary pitches but seems to make it work - ~10K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 across several levels in the minors. Sounds similar to Luchessi in that he relies on deception (probably a lazy comparison since they are teammates, but that's who the description reminds me of)

Profiles as a ~#4 starter but may have some upside on top of that
                    This sums Lauer up well in all aspects. I also think he is comparable to Luchessi in terms of career upside, but I highly doubt he will have his short term success, certainly not in his first start in Coors. He reminds me of Robbie Erlin and Joe Wieland and some of the other Padre pitchers I've fallen for over the years that put up good stats in the minors but had mediocre scouting reports that outlined back end upside. Those sorts haven't worked out for the Padres, Luchessi's short term success notwithstanding. Sometimes you have to look at the stuff and scouting reports and not the minor league stat lines with these finesse/deception guys. Then again every once in awhile, one of those guys exceed expectations like Alex Wood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I highly doubt he will have his short term success, certainly not in his first start in Coors.

Good call!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Good call!
                        Ha, I hadn't realized he'd already pitched and bombed. For some reason, my ESPN league site, which I use to check on players, isn't listing Lauer, so I didn't see his putrid stat line. Maybe the Padres send him back down for a bit now? I don't think he is ready.

Comment

• Thoughts:

Mith - yeah, sorry about that, I'm starting to have doubts on Margot as well. Not sure what the issue is.

Franchy is raw, raw, raw, but so talented. Been down this road with a lot of other former Padres with raw tools (see Liriano, Rhymer; Blanks, Kyle, etc.) that dinger he hit in AZ the other night was majestic.

He is the variable here as far as Margot, Pirela and Asuaje's playing time. If they keep giving a long leash to Margot, then Franchy starts in left pushing Pirela to 2b more. Pirela will continue to get FT ABs between the OF and 2b, I think that's the only real guarantee. If they start doubting Margot, then Franchy sees more time in CF, leaving Pirela in left and Asuaje at second.

The team seems committed to Pirela. He's a grinder and a fan favorite. Team also seems to like Asuaje but his time is short anyway with Urias on the horizon.

Calling up Lauer to make his debut in Coors was ridiculous! Yes, they had a need for a spot start but they could have thrown Lyles out there.

Lucchesi separated himself from Lauer in spring and, after seeing him pitch last night, I see why. First round pick in 2016...I'm not seeing anything special. The blown double-play that would have had him escape the first inning last night would have changed things a bit but I'm not high on him. His fastball is flatter than (insert boob joke here) and his breaking stuff isn't too, um, breaking. At least Lucchesi has a deceptive delivery - yes, it is very reminiscent on Kershaw as someone earlier pointed out, but comparing him to Kershaw in anyway at this point is lame.

Ross looks like a different pitcher from before his surgery. He used to look herky-jerky and not smooth at all. Now, he looks to be throwing free and easy and his slider is just nasty. His near no-no a few days ago was legit. From a personal standpoint, he seems like a quality guy. He loves it in San Diego (saw an interview with he and his wife and they genuinely are happy to be here). They need to sign him for a few years and have him be the vet that the kids will model themselves after.

Team needs to kick Headley to the curb. Ugh. Hope getting him back just to get Mitchell was worth it, Preller (AJ had a big boner for Mitchell for some reason). Chase really cost himself a lot of dough when he didn't sign the extension they were offering him after his big 2012 season (which would have been the biggest deal in team history).

Comment

• Thanks for the input Friar!
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Friar, and what about Villanueva...not a young chicken, but certainly not old and has some spark left, was mashing before hammy injury. Think they just saw the shit weather at Coors and rested him (along with off-day) until coming back relatively fresh on Friday? And, think his April has earned him a long leash as the ROS 3B?
                              12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                              1B-Cron
                              2B- Villar
                              SS- Andrus
                              3B-Baez
                              MI-L. Gurriel
                              CI- Y.Gurriel
                              OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                              UTIL- Benintendi
                              BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                              SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                              RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                              IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                                Friar, and what about Villanueva...not a young chicken, but certainly not old and has some spark left, was mashing before hammy injury. Think they just saw the shit weather at Coors and rested him (along with off-day) until coming back relatively fresh on Friday? And, think his April has earned him a long leash as the ROS 3B?
                                Love the kid! He’s earned his playing time and 3b is his for the foreseeable future (only threat would be if they decide to move Tatis from short to third). Yes, he’s a little older for a rookie but keep in mind he was stuck behind Bryant in the Cubs system for a few years. He should be back in the lineup on Friday. If they weren’t playing in the frozen tundra of Denver the last couple of days he would have been back in the lineup already.

Al or nothing swing opens him up to the league figuring him out the second time around but he’s been raking. Even his outs are hit hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X