2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    LOL, just when you thought that the rotation couldn't be more of a shitshow, the Pads sign...Jered Weaver! Yeah, the Pads need a "leader" to help the young staff, which really isn't that young...
    This is News to you?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      This is News to you?
      LOL...I just don't see any reason on God's green Earth for this signing, none. It's a total waste of a roster spot, and 3 million dollars that they could have invested elsewhere. I don't think this guy could knock over the milk bottles at a carnival anymore.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

LOL...I just don't see any reason on God's green Earth for this signing, none. It's a total waste of a roster spot, and 3 million dollars that they could have invested elsewhere. I don't think this guy could knock over the milk bottles at a carnival anymore.
        You are, for a change :P, absolutely correct.

The only justification I'm hearing (and have to agree with it) is that the Padres are going to need innings from multiple places to cover the 1000+ Innings needed from the starting staff. Weaver brings nothing but an arm to soak some of those up, they pay 3 Million so that it's HIS arm and not one of their young guys, who'd need to be brought up from AA AAA to cover those.

The Padres will be a top 3 team in the race for the #1 overall pick in next years draft. So whomever starts this year, with the exception of maybe Perdomo or possibly Vargas, will not be rostered in 2018. So I'd say, 23 million to prevent an early call up, over use or starting a clock on any of their young guys, is a wise investment.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• ERA+ of 81 and 78 the last 2 years which is bad, but even good teams can take an 85 in the 5th spot.

so any encouragement from BBHQ projections on that front would...... oh, never mind. even in SD, it appears there will be no survivors.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

You are, for a change :P, absolutely correct.

The only justification I'm hearing (and have to agree with it) is that the Padres are going to need innings from multiple places to cover the 1000+ Innings needed from the starting staff. Weaver brings nothing but an arm to soak some of those up, they pay 3 Million so that it's HIS arm and not one of their young guys, who'd need to be brought up from AA AAA to cover those.

The Padres will be a top 3 team in the race for the #1 overall pick in next years draft. So whomever starts this year, with the exception of maybe Perdomo or possibly Vargas, will not be rostered in 2018. So I'd say, 23 million to prevent an early call up, over use or starting a clock on any of their young guys, is a wise investment.
            I guess that makes sense...still wouldn't go near him for any reason. Call up a career minor leaguer, give him the MLB minimum, and let the lucky stiff get a lifetime pension.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I guess that makes sense...still wouldn't go near him for any reason. Call up a career minor leaguer, give him the MLB minimum, and let the lucky stiff get a lifetime pension.
              Part of me thinks they are trying to make up for taking Matt Bush over Weaver 13 years ago, sad thing is, Bush is actually more valuable this season than Weaver.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• http://deadspin.com/jered-weaver-and...ium=socialflow

that's an article offering a mild defense of the signing
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Thinking about my NL-onlys here... since just about every starter gets drafted in the leagues I play in, I bet the COL starters go for more than the SD starters. And considering the relative park effects, that would be an AMAZING situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    Thinking about my NL-onlys here... since just about every starter gets drafted in the leagues I play in, I bet the COL starters go for more than the SD starters. And considering the relative park effects, that would be an AMAZING situation.
                    That could be possible.

Comment

Part of me thinks they are trying to make up for taking Matt Bush over Weaver 13 years ago, sad thing is, Bush is actually more valuable this season than Weaver.
                      George H.W. Bush is more valuable this season than Weaver!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Trying to mount an argument....... Failing miserably

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                          Trying to mount an argument....... Failing miserably
                          I tell you what -- pick any Bush:

- George W.
                          - Barbara
                          - Jeb
                          - Billy
                          - Randy
                          - Gussie
                          - The Burning

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Can he still play 1B?

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• They're trying Urias out at SS, he's a long shot to break camp with the club, but stranger things have happened and they really have no one of consequence slated to play there.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So as if the Padre Starters weren't already going to be worthless, Green is suggesting they might keep 7 starters and piggyback them through starts, essentially limiting them to one time through the line up per start, then bringing in a second starter, then going to the bullpen the third time through.

So there you have it, the Padres will set a new record for losses in a season, but do it in the most idiotic fashion you can imagine.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X