• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    So after signing Chacin and Richards the rotation looks like:

Shit...

Chacin
    Richards
    Friedrich
    Perdomo
    Cosart

(but wait! They are probably going to Sign Peavy so it'll be even worserer)
    Wow.

There is no excuse for this. Even in rebuilding fans deserve better than this.

Comment

• While it will suck for a while, I can see the wisdom.

Thier payroll sits just under sixty million with more than half of that going to players no longer on the team, so in reality the pads on field payroll sits at twenty five million.

In Thier defense, they have already put eighty million into international players and look to continue doing so. They also had several extra draft picks in 2016. With trades, rule v, the draft and international players the Padres system is very good and very deep. The product will get better with time as these guys make the bigs.

It will be a long season, but by it's end we as Padre fans, should start seeing the beginning of results.

Till then, I have my fantasy teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
        While it will suck for a while, I can see the wisdom.

Thier payroll sits just under sixty million with more than half of that going to players no longer on the team, so in reality the pads on field payroll sits at twenty five million.

In Thier defense, they have already put eighty million into international players and look to continue doing so. They also had several extra draft picks in 2016. With trades, rule v, the draft and international players the Padres system is very good and very deep. The product will get better with time as these guys make the bigs.

It will be a long season, but by it's end we as Padre fans, should start seeing the beginning of results.

Till then, I have my fantasy teams.
        I lived through the wisdom (Cubs). Their goal was to lose for serveral years to get draft picks. I don't think their pitching staff was this bad when they lost 100 games.

Could this staff have the makings of the worst record in modern history? Can they win 36 (would tie) or more games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I lived through the wisdom (Cubs). Their goal was to lose for serveral years to get draft picks. I don't think their pitching staff was this bad when they lost 100 games.

Could this staff have the makings of the worst record in modern history? Can they win 36 (would tie) or more games?
          They won 60+ last season and with pretty much the same kind of rotation minus Pomeranz who threw 100 innings. Ross went down game #1, Shields was a disaster, Jackson? Rea? Vargas? Erlin? Their rotation was horrible last season. Even if they sign Peavy, it can't really be worse. Now I'm hearing rumblings of Jared Weaver. Their Offense should be as good if not a tick better and defensively, much better. So no, though they look horrible on paper (and will on the field) and though I can see losing 95-105 games--they wont be historically bad as a team.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• How long until the Padres are kicked out of the revenue share arrangement?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              How long until the Padres are kicked out of the revenue share arrangement?
              They just splurged 2 seasons ago, so I think they're safe (unlike the A's who've never splurged)
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Apparently the Padres are bored too, they are now considering signing Colby Lewis........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The market must be tough for guys like Solarte seeing as so many FA sticks far better than his remain homeless.

They had tried to trade him, but now they've reversed field and extended him through 2018 with options for 19-20. He may not remain a Padre, but he's their starting 3b for 2017, keeping Schimpf at 2b and Spang to super sub. (these are of course MY projections)

Myers is about to sign a 6 year 80 million extension which is pending a physical.

Pads signing Trevor Cahill as well and probably Peavy.

So now, in no particular order, here's the Padres rotation going into 2017:

Chacin
                  Richards
                  Cahill
                  (Peavy)
                  Friedrich

Leaving Cosart and Perdomo on the outside unless one of them tears it up in ST. I understand wanting Perdomo to get some more minor league reps after he jumped from A ball as a rule 5 guy last season.

But as always, one or more of the projected starting 5 could get hurt or be traded so this craptastic set of arms isn't at all set in stone.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    The market must be tough for guys like Solarte seeing as so many FA sticks far better than his remain homeless.

They had tried to trade him, but now they've reversed field and extended him through 2018 with options for 19-20. He may not remain a Padre, but he's their starting 3b for 2017, keeping Schimpf at 2b and Spang to super sub. (these are of course MY projections)

Myers is about to sign a 6 year 80 million extension which is pending a physical.

Pads signing Trevor Cahill as well and probably Peavy.

So now, in no particular order, here's the Padres rotation going into 2017:

Chacin
                    Richards
                    Cahill
                    (Peavy)
                    Friedrich

Leaving Cosart and Perdomo on the outside unless one of them tears it up in ST. I understand wanting Perdomo to get some more minor league reps after he jumped from A ball as a rule 5 guy last season.

But as always, one or more of the projected starting 5 could get hurt or be traded so this craptastic set of arms isn't at all set in stone.
                    Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that Myers is going for a contract like this...yeah, it gives him financial freedom, but if he performs like he did last season, he's selling himself really short, IMO. I think that it buys out 3 years of his free agency as well...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Talk to me about the OF because I seem to own way too many Padres OF right now
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Cahill's going to be a starter? He hasn't been a full-time starter since 2014!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Cahill's going to be a starter? He hasn't been a full-time starter since 2014!
                          It's the Padres, you could start.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            Talk to me about the OF because I seem to own way too many Padres OF right now
                            My guess is Renfro is RF. A job share of some sort between Jankowski and Margot in CF and Jankowski and Dickerson in LF

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
                              My guess is Renfro is RF. A job share of some sort between Jankowski and Margot in CF and Jankowski and Dickerson in LF
                              Looks right to me, but I think we might see Jankowski end up as more of a traditional 4th OF. That probably depends on Dickerson who likely has the shortest leash and the softest pedigree. If he plays like he did last year, he'll play almost everyday.

That's actually an interesting little OF. Some real upside, maybe some quiet success to come from this bunch.

Comment

• LOL, just when you thought that the rotation couldn't be more of a shitshow, the Pads sign...Jered Weaver! Yeah, the Pads need a "leader" to help the young staff, which really isn't that young...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X