No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is Ryan Schimpf actually good? He hit .103 in June after his callup but so far in July he's hitting .300 with 8 HR.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
      So is Ryan Schimpf actually good? He hit .103 in June after his callup but so far in July he's hitting .300 with 8 HR.
      Not a kid at 28. Been in the minors forever, has been good at every stop but he's a slow-climber. Obviously. The power is real. The walks are real. The strikeouts are real.

The week he came up, I grabbed him for $1 FAAB in all of my leagues. I figure he's a strong hitter in his prime years on a team with opportunity to give him time to show his stuff. San Diego has, for the next few years (barring trades, of course), Spangenberg, Pirela, Amarista and Weeks as 2B competition, so the field is incredibly wide open for a guy like this to make a mark until Urias or Guerra make their way out of A-ball.

I think if things bounce his way, I could picture a career like Casey McGehee, maybe, with a couple of years of real value and then a precipitous decline. That is the high end of my estimation. I feel he's a fine risk if you can get him cheap, especially now that he's playing well. Let's be frank, if he keeps this up, he's a starting 2B next year and that's something if you can get it cheap.

Buy, with moderation.

Comment

• Potential steals alert in SD...

ROTOWORLD: Padres outfield prospect Manuel Margot was pulled from a game at Triple-A El Paso in the fourth inning Saturday. Margot was spotted in the dugout and he isn't believed to be injured. The speculation is that he could be headed to the Padres to replace Melvin Upton, who appears likely to be traded at any moment. Margot is a top-50 prospect who's batting .306/.356/.434 with four homers and 24 steals for El Paso. He's worth a speculative add in mixed leagues.
        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
        UTIL- Benintendi
        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
        IL: Buxton

Comment

• Dickerson with a HR in his fourth straight game today.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            So with Cashner obviously heading out of San Diego the rotation going forward looks like this:

Perdomo
            Rea
            Jackson
            Clemens
            Freidrich

I understand some here have questioned why I have Perdomo rostered in multiple leagues, but I promise, the kid is someone you want to grab now at a buck or two and keep going into next season.

he's lowered his ERA every month and this month has a 3.45 ERA in 4 starts. His last start vs the Nats was solid.

Again, if you have roster room, take a flier on him. You might just be pleasantly surprised come end of the season.
            With Rea going with Cashner put Cosart in his spot.

Comment

• As of right now, Edwin Jackson is the Padres best starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                As of right now, Edwin Jackson is the Padres best starter.
                Perdomo

Comment

• Alert?!!?

SS Jose Rondon is apparently being added to the ML roster of the Padres. I can't imagine why except a short term audition while Solarte is out on leave.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• can NOT believe the Padres got Josh Naylor - a potential Prince/Cecil Fielder type - for two boxes of balls.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Andrew Cashner is made of pudding

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        can NOT believe the Padres got Josh Naylor - a potential Prince/Cecil Fielder type - for two boxes of balls.
                        Yeah, the Padres have done well in their deals this year. Then again, if the current RP market is an indication, minor leaguers have become cheap currency in MLB 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          can NOT believe the Padres got Josh Naylor - a potential Prince/Cecil Fielder type - for two boxes of balls.
                          I was surprised too. in fact very surprised that the Marlins would give up Naylor in this deal. The Pads did very well in this deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                            I was surprised too. in fact very surprised that the Marlins would give up Naylor in this deal. The Pads did very well in this deal.
                            I agree that Padres did well. However, let us not forget that Naylor still has a lot of hurdles to overcome before he ever sees a pitch in MLB. He's certainly one for targeting, but he's far from a sure thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              I agree that Padres did well. However, let us not forget that Naylor still has a lot of hurdles to overcome before he ever sees a pitch in MLB. He's certainly one for targeting, but he's far from a sure thing.
                              For sure but to walk away with a decent prospect for a pitcher who has been nothing but mediocre in a good pitching park they again they did well.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                                For sure but to walk away with a decent prospect for a pitcher who has been nothing but mediocre in a good pitching park they again they did well.
                                Yeah, I like Naylor, but of course, low-leve prospects are high risk. But its the return--I don't see the appeal of Cashner. Park-adjusted, is he even a replacement level pitcher?

Comment

Working...
                                X