No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Buchter was a WHIP/ERA killer tonight. Jeeeeebus...

0.1 IP, 3H, 3BB, 5ER, 135.00 ERA, 18.00 WHIP.
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
      Well, Buchter was a WHIP/ERA killer tonight. Jeeeeebus...

0.1 IP, 3H, 3BB, 5ER, 135.00 ERA, 18.00 WHIP.
      What did you expect with a name like Butcher?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Uh....that's not his name. Buchter is actually a German word meaning "overbooked", oddly enough, according to Google Translate, although I've heard the word as ueberbucht instead.

Edit: "Bucht" means bay. So a buchter would be, maybe, someone who works on a bay or with a bay?
        To quote the most underrated band of the 80s.

too much time on my hands................
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Catcher Austin Hedges has more hr (12) than k's (10) along with 30 rbi in his last 17 games at AAA El Paso. For the season he's hitting .385/.433/.787 in 122 at bats. Granted, it's the hitter friendly PCL, but wow. His glove has been MLB ready for a few years now and San Diego has just been waiting for his bat to catch up. When will the Padres give the 23 year old another look?
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Catcher Austin Hedges has more hr (12) than k's (10) along with 30 rbi in his last 17 games at AAA El Paso. For the season he's hitting .385/.433/.787 in 122 at bats. Granted, it's the hitter friendly PCL, but wow. His glove has been MLB ready for a few years now and San Diego has just been waiting for his bat to catch up. When will the Padres give the 23 year old another look?
            As soon as they trade Derek Norris.

Comment

• So Pomeranz is gone, who will take his place in the rotation. Ross is still a couple of weeks away. I'd say an outside chance of Edwin Jackson, but he's sucked it up at AAA. My money is on Michael Kelly. Was solid in AA and just ok in AAA. They might give him a shot to show what he's got.

I'll say this, with so many arms getting ready to go (Cashner, Hand, Butcher) and bats as well (Norris, Solarte, possible Upton and Kemp) the Padres roster will look very different August 1st.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Is there a reason why Pomeranz couldn't be in the Padres future? He is only 27. I guess they must have felt he would cost too much to resign.

Comment

• The Padres are apparently setting up for contention in 2018 which would make Pomeranz a luxury over the next 2 seasons. Getting high end talent for him in Espinoza and Paddak for Rodney indicates the direction they've chosen. Add to that their draft this year and the Intnl signings, plus on pace to draft top 5-10 next year and it becomes more clear why they dealt him at the very eighth of his value.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    So Pomeranz is gone, who will take his place in the rotation. Ross is still a couple of weeks away. I'd say an outside chance of Edwin Jackson, but he's sucked it up at AAA. My money is on Michael Kelly. Was solid in AA and just ok in AAA. They might give him a shot to show what he's got.

I'll say this, with so many arms getting ready to go (Cashner, Hand, Butcher) and bats as well (Norris, Solarte, possible Upton and Kemp) the Padres roster will look very different August 1st.
                    Why on Earth would they let Butcher go? He's controllable at the league minimum now, and very cheaply for the next few years.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

The Padres are apparently setting up for contention in 2018 which would make Pomeranz a luxury over the next 2 seasons. Getting high end talent for him in Espinoza and Paddak for Rodney indicates the direction they've chosen. Add to that their draft this year and the Intnl signings, plus on pace to draft top 5-10 next year and it becomes more clear why they dealt him at the very eighth of his value.
                      Contention in two years! I think it will take them longer than that. Who on the current roster will be left? Myers and who else everybody? Everybody else will be players from in their minors now or more FA signing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                        Contention in two years! I think it will take them longer than that. Who on the current roster will be left? Myers and who else everybody? Everybody else will be players from in their minors now or more FA signing.
                        Yeah, I agree, with most of their good young talent in "A" level ball, I'd say that 2020 is probably the soonest that you could see the Padres in contention. I also can't see a lot of free agent signings with last years disastrous results. Might be a few here and there, but big signings are probably going to be scarce.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

The Padres are apparently setting up for contention in 2018 which would make Pomeranz a luxury over the next 2 seasons. Getting high end talent for him in Espinoza and Paddak for Rodney indicates the direction they've chosen. Add to that their draft this year and the Intnl signings, plus on pace to draft top 5-10 next year and it becomes more clear why they dealt him at the very eighth of his value.
                          Problem is they've been setting up for contention in 2018 since 1998!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Problem is they've been setting up for contention in 2018 since 1998!
                            Sadly true, they did. Outside of a couple of one and dones in the mid 2000s they've been very bad.

Thing is Starting to contend in 2 years isn't unrealistic at all. By contention, I don't mean favored to win the division, I mean stay within 5 games of a playoff berth all season.

The Padres will follow the Rangers path moreso than the Royals in rebuilding. They'll trade for some players, sign very few and hopefully grow most of their core.

At present they have Myers alone as their go forward star. However they have Margot and hedges in AAA. Possibly Renfroe. We don't know who they'll get in return for the guys they deal over the next few weeks, but any one of those could be ready to at least start come 2018.

Out of the recent Amateur draft there are a couple of guys who could move quickly as well as the INTL signings.

Hornsby, don't confuse trades with FA signings, they only signed Shields as a FA of any consequence and completely rebuilt the bullpen through FA this season. So yes, they ate shit with big Game James, but they cut bait quickly.

Not saying they're going to win anything come 2018, but that's the year they look to start being competitive, which is how I should have phrased it in the first place.

But yeah the 2 decade suckage will continue for a while.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So, it's Buddy Bauman who gets the call to replace Drew in the rotation. I missed him on the El paso roster, thought he was still on the dl.

Has great numbers in EP and was going to be on the opening day roster before he was hurt.

I have no recommendation either way for this guy.

28 career minor leaguer for the royals.

Comment

• Preller set an unofficial deadline of before this start to deal Cashner, who's coming off perhaps his best start of the season. He has about an hour! Get 'er done!!

Comment

Working...
                                X