2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    My comment was spot on. Your post was uninformed and utterly useless - no value whatsoever, other than to take a random and unsolicited dig at my team. I didn't ask for opinions on my rotation; I asked for information on Tyson Ross' return. You're welcome to inject yourself into the conversation, even if you have nothing substantial to add, but if you want to come in and troll people about how sh!tty their teams are, don't cry like a little bitch when they fire back. That, my friend, is the definition of "asinine."
    It was a comment in jest. Like i give a fuck about your team.

I would say, lighten up man, but you've shown to be pretty incapable of that.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      How the hell is Kemp that bad?

Season
      AVG - .228
      HR - 10
      RBI - 30
      R - 20

but last 2 weeks
      8/57
      runs -5
      hr - 2
      rbi - 7
      sb 0
      avg - .140

last handful of games
      3 for 33
      The last two seasons, for whatever reason, he's been pretty terrible early in the season and turned it on around July. Since I am a Kemp owner, I'm going to assume that is an airtight trend and this is not him sucking all year. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Any speculation on when it is Hunter Renfroe time?
        Between $20,000,000 and $50,000,000 from now.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          It was a comment in jest. Like i give a fuck about your team.

I would say, lighten up man, but you've shown to be pretty incapable of that.
          I dunno, perhaps the guy angrily demanding apologies, dropping F bombs, and returning two days after a silly online skirmish to carry on the fight is the one who could stand to lighten up a bit?

But, hey, I'm all about self-improvement, so as a "lightening up" exercise, I'll let you have the final tirade, and then we can let the rest of these fine folks have their Padres forum back.

Cheerio!
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Between $20,000,000 and $50,000,000 from now.
            Most logical answer I've yet seen.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Screw you James Shields!

I usually don't vent about individual performances, but I bet my longest time frenemy and fantasy rival, who is also the commish of our 20+ year h2h points league $100 on our h2h match up this week, and of course Shields puts up -20 for me today.

I made the bet because he has been bragging about being undefeated and undefeatable, despite getting incredibly lucky in his match ups so far. It's the largest single week wager I've ever made, by far, but much more importantly, if I end up losing by 20 points, he will hold this over my head for 20 more years. He will use "Shields" as a trigger word. He'll text it randomly to me.

If that happens, Shields is forever going on my DO Not Draft list.

Comment

• I hear you Masher. I was leading the league in ERA. Now in 4th place thanks to "Big Game James". That was a quick 4 points lost. At what point does the manager decide that enough is enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  I hear you Masher. I was leading the league in ERA. Now in 4th place thanks to "Big Game James". That was a quick 4 points lost. At what point does the manager decide that enough is enough?
                  Double-digits, apparently.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• One day after the team president publicly rips the team to shreds, they blow a 12-2 lead and lose 16-12 to Seattle. This is not going to end well....

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      One day after the team president publicly rips the team to shreds, they blow a 12-2 lead and lose 16-12 to Seattle. This is not going to end well....
                      The "Miserable Failure" tour was in force last night.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        The "Miserable Failure" tour was in force last night.
                        Shit has hit the fan. Massive change lies ahead. Stay tuned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                          Shit has hit the fan. Massive change lies ahead. Stay tuned.
                          The real question is will they allow Preller to make those changes? He's probably set the franchise back 5-10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            The real question is will they allow Preller to make those changes? He's probably set the franchise back 5-10 years.
                            It really isn't his fault. He came in with an edict in place to make the team immediately competitive. The Padres had a history of prospects who never lived up to the bill, in fact I can't name one guy who came up and made a difference or even stuck as a player prior to AJs arrival.

5-10 years is a bit of an overstatement, how is losing Ross and Turner really setting them back that much? Yeah Ross is a great little pitcher, but Preller acquired Pomerantz for Bupkis. Turner got him Myers. He flipped Kimbrel for Margot, Gurrera, Logan and Asuaje. By the time the All Star game has come and gone, Kemp, Shields, Upton, Norris, Ross and more could be gone.

They're in the second tier of the and have been for years so from that perspective, they've pretty much remained the same. He's had one draft, with another just on the horizon where the Padres have several picks in the first few rounds. Add to that the international signing day, where Preller is supposed to shine, and it's not at all as bleak as it seems.

The Padres suck right now and will for a few years to come. Preller did nothing, IMO to make that a reality nor to extend the time of that suckage.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It really isn't his fault. He came in with an edict in place to make the team immediately competitive. The Padres had a history of prospects who never lived up to the bill, in fact I can't name one guy who came up and made a difference or even stuck as a player prior to AJs arrival.

5-10 years is a bit of an overstatement, how is losing Ross and Turner really setting them back that much? Yeah Ross is a great little pitcher, but Preller acquired Pomerantz for Bupkis. Turner got him Myers. He flipped Kimbrel for Margot, Gurrera, Logan and Asuaje. By the time the All Star game has come and gone, Kemp, Shields, Upton, Norris, Ross and more could be gone.

They're in the second tier of the and have been for years so from that perspective, they've pretty much remained the same. He's had one draft, with another just on the horizon where the Padres have several picks in the first few rounds. Add to that the international signing day, where Preller is supposed to shine, and it's not at all as bleak as it seems.

The Padres suck right now and will for a few years to come. Preller did nothing, IMO to make that a reality nor to extend the time of that suckage.
                              You are right Brian, but there's more to it, in my opinion.

AJ Preller's background is in player development, and I think he's really very good in that role, given the opportunity.

I agree that he was given an impossible edict.

I guess the question that begs (given that Preller understands the value of the correct long term approach), is why did he ever take the job in the first place, and why was was he offered that role?

Easy to say in retrospect, but if I'm Preller, I would have been looking for a team that has a little patience and is looking to play the long game. That's his niche.

And if I'm the Padres, and I want to compete immediately, I'm not looking to hire a guy who has made his mark in player development.

Something doesn't add up.

Comment

Yeah, maybe it's like 3-5 years. But I think you're understating some of the players they shipped off. You forgot to mention:
                                - Zach Eflin
                                - Yasmani Grandal
                                - Jesse Hahn
                                - Max Fried
                                - Mallex Smith
                                - Johnny Barbato
                                - Cameron Maybin
                                - Matt Wisler
                                - Nick Vincent

Hahn & Wisler are solid arms and Wisler is emerging into a top-line starter. Eflin is killing it at AAA and will be up this season. Fried is working back from surgery. In addition to Joe Ross, that's an entire rotation right there. Vincent & Barbato are doing very well in their team's pens, so he traded away 7 major league arms (and he also lost Dan Straily on a waiver claim on 4/1). Yep, he killed the Pomeranz deal, but hey, you gotta win one every now and then.

Mallex is up and doing well. Grandal has slumped, but he's still a quality backstop. He didn't get much for Rymer Liriano. And you already mentioned Trea.

They owe Kemp, Shields and Upton a moatload, and if they get teams to take on their salaries, they won't get the haul they need to replenish.

Look, I liked a lot of the moves the made at the time, and I was surprised they almost all backfired. I don't think it would be surprising if they canned him.

Comment

Working...
                                X