2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Man, ElD, I think you may enjoy seeing the Padres suck as much or more than you like seeing the Dodgers succeed .

the Padres shook things up. They went all in, attempting to improve dramatically with some bold moves. They looked at the market and decided the best talent acquisition opportunities were in offense-first OFers. Choosing to acquiring that particular asset given their stadium, pitching staff, and overall team make up wasn't ideal, but it was something, and despite how it did work out, it was possible that it could have worked out better. That was the hope, and the moves gave that hope to fans who had given up hope.

I'll end by commenting, as an outsider with no vested interest in either the Dodgers or the Padres, but as someone who appreciates and respects your insights, Eld, in nearly all other matters, that you continuing, repeatedly to gleefully rub salt in the wound that is the 2015 Padres season, and more generally, the great joy you take in the Padres failing in general comes across as a privileged bully picking on the poor kid at school wearing hand-me-downs. Maybe I am ignorant of the Dodgers-Padres rivalry and fan dynamic, but I haven't noticed you display such schadenfreude in relation to any of the Dodgers' other in-state or division rivals. Maybe I need to be schooled on the origins of Dodger-fan disdain for their long suffering, and seemingly affable neighbors to the south.
    This is a lot of it right here, the Padres have been high and dry for years. Preller was never known for wheeling and dealing, he was and IS known for building through international scouting/signings.

Preller rolled the dice, he signed Shields, Kennedy, Morrow and Kelly traded for Kemp, Upton x2, Kimbrel, Meyrs, Norris, Maurer. He gutted a minor league system that had constantly underachieved. He indeed, went all in to bring some credibility and excitement to San Diego and the fans and in that respect, he was successful.

He added the first front of the rotation arm to the staff in years, brought in arguably the best young closer in baseball, Kelly and Maurer lived up to billing and Morrow did until he predictably went down. Who knew the staff that was retained, one that was 8th in the league the year before, would regress so. Shields had his worst year ever. Kennedy got hurt his opening start and didn't return to form until mid season. Çashner dealt with his mother almost dying, having leukemia and a leg amputated. All this in pitcher friendly Petco.

For the first time in years they had a duo of bats that could go 20/20. Kemp and Upton brought a charge to the ballpark every time they came to bat. Sure they were defensive liabilities, but chicks dig the long ball and so do talent starved Padre fans. Kemp's cycle was the first in Padre history. This might seem inconsequential to non Padre fans, but to us it was HUGE. Norris and Myers (pre injury) were upgrades to the 2014 roster and though Melvin's contract is crap, he has shown signs of life enjoying his best year in 3 seasons.

Fast forward to this year, Preller has flipped Kimbrel for more than it cost him in minor league talent. Picked up 2 drafts picks in the top 30 for Kennedy and Upton and so is poised to rebuild the system in his image as well as promising to get 4-8 of the top 20 Intl players available (which is supposed to be his specialty) to help restock as well.

The Padre should field a team that surprisingly fares a little bit better than last year which should be good for 3rd in the division.

Chris has shown restraint, he actually was positive about the Kimbrel deal. But you have to understand, he's becoming a Lawyer. He has to think he's smarter than everyone and that his opinion reigns supreme. He also has to be a bit of an arrogant dick in the courtroom so don't jump him for practicing here. :P
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Lol, okay, this makes me see the pleasure one could take in calling out pie-in-the sky optimists. If anyone on here was doing proud chest-thumbing about the "genius" of the Shelby Miller trade, I could see taking joy in poking fun at that misplaced pomposity .

I haven't checked out Zona message boards, but I'd hope their fans are self-aware enough to be bummed by at least that deal. Although, given the myopia and bias of fandom, I suppose it is possible some Zona fans are talking smack about them being the 27 Yankees now.

And you are right about the Dodgers not really being the established bully on the block. The McCourt era was horrible, and it is only relatively recently that you have gotten to enjoy good ownership and management. Just don't turn into what Red Sox fans became after morphing from lovable losers to smug, entitled champions. But I guess that is really inevitable. I shudder to think how insufferable Cubs fans might become after their young core of stars inevitably ends their century old losing streak (yeah, I'm calling it--I think the Cubs win the WS in the next 3 years).
      The Met's beg to differ..............
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Chris has shown restraint, he actually was positive about the Kimbrel deal. But you have to understand, he's becoming a Lawyer.
        Ah, well, that explains it all .

Also, that fact that you refer to him as Chris indicates that you and he know each other beyond these boards. Most of his Padres ribbing seems directed your way, so if you guys know each other, that makes a lot of sense. The crap I talk to friends and long time league mates makes ElD's ribbing of the Padres seem like compliments. Also, you were a little more boisterous in your jersey popping after all of those deals than maybe you should have been, but I get why.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          The Met's beg to differ..............
          I like the Mets too. If I didn't think their ownership would screw up the precious gift that is their 1990s Braves-esque stable of aces by not doing what it takes to surround that staff with the pieces to put them over the top, I'd be betting on the Mets to snag a WS ring over the next 3-4 years too. Hell, their pitching might be good enough one year to win anyway, but I like the Cubs strategy of building through stud hitters rather than pitchers more, and I believe in their willingness to acquire the pieces they need to get over the hump. The Mets are extremely reliant on arms to win, and putting that much weight on something that often breaks is risky.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            Charles Johnson was actually on the 1st ws winner not the second.
            orgive me, I am growing senile. Renteria was also on the 1st WS winner. I believe Alex Gonzalez was on the second.

Comment

• Despagnie dealt to the O's

Looks like Villanueva will be given a shot at the rotation along with Maruer.......

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So once again it's time for GITH's Padre prognostications, based soled on MY opinion, That means Chris should be in here shortly to tell me why I'm an idiot.

The Padres have a lot of new faces for the second year in a row, none more important than Andy Green their new manager. He promises to bring with him a new approach to in game management as he's big on shifts and the Diamondbacks led the league in shifts (I believe) last season. The Padres ignored defense last year to their demise and there have been a few upgrades in that department this off season, nothing earth shaking, but enough that they shouldn't lead the league in unearned runs again. (Yes I'm aware FGs has them previewed as last in defense for 2016) Their Bullpen will be much different this season as they've gone away from the big dollar back end and spread the wealth somewhat.

So with 2 weeks or so to go, here's what I see shaking out for the Padres roster as we look to open the season.

Let's start with a few yet to be made moves I see on the horizon.

I think Norris will be traded before opening day allowing the Padres to give Bethancourt and Hedges the Gig as platoon partners behind the plate. This is a move that was made pretty clear once the Much Maligned GM AJ Preller started collecting backstops over the Winter.

The infield should be set at all 4 spots with Myers at 1st, Spang at 2nd, Ramirez at SS and Solarte at 3rd. Look for Weeks, Wallace and Pirela to get the back up slots.

The OF is open beyond Kemp in Right. You'll definitely have two of these three playing CF and LF--Upton Jr, J Jay and T Jankowski. The final OF spot will go to either Dickerson or Blash and the Padres want to give Blash every chance to make the team. Even though he's struggled in ST I see Blash making the team and Dickerson starting in El Paso.

That's 14 position players.

The Pitching staff is a quite a bit more in flux, or so it would seem. Again I see a move coming, I really believe that if Lincecum can show anything once he showcases, he will be a Padre. Right or wrong move, I've no idea but it's what they do in Padreland, grab an old broken down used to be great arm and hope they can rebuild him.

The rotation sets up like this: Ross, Shields, Cashner and Rea

The pen should shake out like this: Rodney, Villanueva, Thornton, Pomeranz, Janssen.

Maurer will be either in the pen or rotation.

Yes, outside of whomever claims the 6th spot I see a whole new Padre BP.

Candidates for the 5th rotation spot are Maurer, Erlin and an outside shot of Phil Humber a one time top prospect of the Padres. the also afore mentioned Freak.

Candidates for the 6th BP spot are again, Maurer, Quack, Vincent and Garces

My choices are Maurer in the rotation and Garces in the Pen.

My choice of the Padre you will most want to own: Cashner

Of course all this could change if Preller pulls another opening day deal where he acquires Stanton from the Fish for the entire Padre minor league system..............

Enjoy boys now bring the heat!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Nice rundown, thanks GitH. A little disappointed you didn't throw out a crazy win prediction though

Whenever Rodney inevitably blows it, which of the relievers do you see as the best bets to get some saves? Quackenbush and Maurer are popular names but it doesn't seem like you even have them as locks for the pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    Nice rundown, thanks GitH. A little disappointed you didn't throw out a crazy win prediction though

Whenever Rodney inevitably blows it, which of the relievers do you see as the best bets to get some saves? Quackenbush and Maurer are popular names but it doesn't seem like you even have them as locks for the pen.
                    With 4 guys in the pen, all who've been closers, it should sport itself out easy. I don't see Quack on the team out of ST and I see Maurer in the rotation so I think it'd be Carlos, Casey, Matt or Drew.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Nice rundown, thanks GitH. A little disappointed you didn't throw out a crazy win prediction though

I think they'll finish above .500 which will be an accomplishment in this ultra competitive division.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I completely forgot about the two rule five guys. Perdomo and Martin. Martin looks like he's going to make the club and I know that they like Perdomo even though he's struggled. Pencil Martin in wait for a trade clearing room for Perdomo or he'll be back in St Louis

Comment

• After allowing 16 ER in 5 IP, the Brandon Maurer-as-a-SP experiment is over.

Comment

• What's the word in SD on Will Myers' wrist?

Comment

• Myers with 5 rbi yesterday so, looks ok :P

A little bit of an update.

John Jay is going to be the starting CF and leadoff guy for the Padres going into the season. Blash is certain to make the team which means, barring a trade, Janokowski could start in AAA. Melvin looks to start in LF but Blash could steal time if he can continue to flash power and patience.

Weeks will absolutely be on the roster and could actual secure the starting 2bman gig if Spang doesn't kick it into gear.

I still think Norris will be moved before the season, but apparently the Padres are asking too much for him in return as their talsk with Texas have stopped (thought Norris did put on a display today for his possible future team) Should Norris stay, Hedges will probably be the guy sent to AAA. all 3 catchers are doing very well this spring.

Rea is definitely in the rotation at #4 Erlin might look like the #5, but Morrow has been pitching and could be ready to take the spot in the rotation when they need a #5 guy (not till mid April) That's a big if given Morrows injury history.

The Bullpen is very interesting, probably the most difficult to ferret out. Of course there are the absolutes--Rodney, Villanueva, Thornton, Pomeranz and Mauer, but then it gets murky. Neither of the Rule 5 guys, Martin nor Perdomo have done anything to merit keeping them on the roster, even given their high upside.

So you've got Janssen, Vincent, Garces, Quack and even the possibility of Erlin should Morrow make the rotation, all vying for maybe 2 spots.

I'm liking what I've seen of Green, he's making decisions and looks like he'll set the line up and not screw with it as Black had a pathological tendency to do.

Opening day is right around the corner! This is getting fun.........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Hey GwynnInTheHall, what do you think are the chances of Pomeranz getting saves this year? Do you think he is the most likely guy to take over if Rodney gets hurt/sucks/gets traded?

Comment

Working...
                                X