2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Kimbrel and Benoit gone, Padres clear 20 Million off the books and somewhat restock the system. Who closes? I still think they'll trade for Storen. This isn't a fire sale, they're dealing what they think they can and I believe you'll see a couple of big bats brought in via FA. I can see them dealing Shields as well, that'd give them 40 million to work with.

But who knows when you have the worst GM in baseball pulling the strings...........
    I think that you're fooling yourself if you don't think that this is anything but a fire sale, especially if they deal Shields as well. Yes, the Pads have always been good at cobbling together a bullpen, but that was different management and different ballpark dimensions. They lose Upton, they still don't have much of an infield, and Kemp is slowly sinking into middle age as a ballplayer.

I think that Preller did what he thought was right last year and now realized that it simply didn't work. Now is the time to rebuild a decimated farm system and the Kimbrel deal was a nice start.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I think that you're fooling yourself if you don't think that this is anything but a fire sale, especially if they deal Shields as well. Yes, the Pads have always been good at cobbling together a bullpen, but that was different management and different ballpark dimensions. They lose Upton, they still don't have much of an infield, and Kemp is slowly sinking into middle age as a ballplayer.

I think that Preller did what he thought was right last year and now realized that it simply didn't work. Now is the time to rebuild a decimated farm system and the Kimbrel deal was a nice start.
      Couldn't disagree with you more Horns and if I'm fooling myself it's because I believe what I hear from the Front Office of the Padres.

I see it as exactly this. Like any baseball fantasy owner that inherits a shit team and is now to the league, you get rid of the guys you don;t like because you 1 didn't draft/sign and/or don't like them for some reason. You then spend ALL the money in your allotted salary base, make trades and hope you get what you feel is a strong nucleus to build on. and go from there.

Like I've said, the Padres now have the payroll flexibility to go get a needed SS (if they don;t trade for one) and a power hitting LH bat. Even their post arb estimated payroll comes in 25-30 under their stated payroll for 2016 which may go all the way to 120 million this season.

They can go many ways on this. Deal Shields for someone like Profar or Beaz (they'd also get others back in either deal or any like it) , the turn around and sign an FA arm in a very deep FA class of pitching. They could keep Shields and sign a Desmond That still leaves them money to add a power LH bat. There are lots of options and as you've seen with Preller--you canNOT predict what he's going to do. On thing is certain, if the FO has lied to the fans--it will undo ANY of the good will they built last season. I will believe they're statements that Payroll will be up this year over last until it doesn't happen.

So again, we might see it differently, but I keep pretty close to the pulse of this team and though I might be a bit of a homer when it comes to their expectation of performance on the field. I'm pretty much spot on with roster management calls.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I've said it before - I think I've said it before. Maybe I just said it in my head - anyway, did what the Padres did last offseason work? No. Was it speculated that it probably wouldn't (too many square pegs in round holes)? Sure. BUT...after years of watching them pinch a penny until Abe's nuts were in his throat, it was just refreshing to see them do SOMETHING. ANYTHING!

Hell, if anything it gave us our first Cycle (Kemp) in the history of the franchise! That's gotta count for something, right? Come on, we have to find the silver linings where we can.

With that said, whether we are in "re-build" or "fire sale" mode now remains to be seen. Fact is, as Brian has pointed out, our payroll is down to $80 mil and have $40 to play with (with Kimbrel and Benoit gone). In my eyes, we flipped Kimbrel for even better prospects than we had - although, yes, I know we're saddled with Upton's salary.

Lots of questions heading in to the new year at almost every position:

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
          I've said it before - I think I've said it before. Maybe I just said it in my head - anyway, did what the Padres did last offseason work? No. Was it speculated that it probably wouldn't (too many square pegs in round holes)? Sure. BUT...after years of watching them pinch a penny until Abe's nuts were in his throat, it was just refreshing to see them do SOMETHING. ANYTHING!

Hell, if anything it gave us our first Cycle (Kemp) in the history of the franchise! That's gotta count for something, right? Come on, we have to find the silver linings where we can.

With that said, whether we are in "re-build" or "fire sale" mode now remains to be seen. Fact is, as Brian has pointed out, our payroll is down to $80 mil and have $40 to play with (with Kimbrel and Benoit gone). In my eyes, we flipped Kimbrel for even better prospects than we had - although, yes, I know we're saddled with Upton's salary.

Lots of questions heading in to the new year at almost every position:
          Non Padre fans don't understand this.

The Cycle was HUGE, shit Garvey hit ONE big homer and they retired his number!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Non Padre fans don't understand this.

The Cycle was HUGE, shit Garvey hit ONE big homer and they retired his number!
            Whenever they throw the first no-hitter, that pitcher will be allowed to legally commit murder in San Diego County.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              If Preller is legally allowed to commit murder anywhere in SD, perhaps the bar for a pitcher to get the same allowance shouldn't be a no-hitter but rather just finding the stadium.
              I knew that sounded familiar.

I'm a slow adult.

Comment

• Padres acquired LHPs Drew Pomeranz and Jose Torres and a player to be named later or cash considerations from the A's for 1B Yonder Alonso and LHP Marc Rzepczynski.

Both Rep and Alonzo were non tender candidates and Pomeranz should help the Pen and possibly could be given a shot at the rotstion.

Small but good move for the Pads, A's too should either Alonzo or Repz turn it around.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Through trade or selection, Padres have 3 of the top Rule 5 picks. Perdomo, Blash and Martin. They also took Blake Smith off pale Hose AAA roster. They won't keep em all, but Blash and Martin might stick.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Jabari Blash!!! I have been holding him in RJEL for a couple years now. I was hoping he'd be taken by the Reds at #2 because they have an obvious opening in LF, but I guess the Padres do too.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Padres pick up Bethancourt for Casey Kelly.

That makes 4 ML level catchers on the team. Somethings brewing, I heard--Hedges and Ross to Chi Town...........Come on down Baez and Soler!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Writer at MLB.com is calling Quackenbush the most likely closer candidate. He also envisions that Jon Edwards has a chance at crossing over into the role. Anyone have any thoughts on possibilities out there? GitH?
                        Drew Pomeranz might also get a shot.

I still think might go get one.

Comment

You might go get a shot?

I'm not so sure. Trading for a closer on a terrible team is a very bad move. I'd imagine (hope) that Preller learned his lesson on that one.
                          Then there is this from Rotoworld:

MLB.com's Corey Brock writes that Drew Pomeranz "likely pegs as a reliever."
                          Pomeranz has both started and relieved in his career, but he really seemed to find his niche out of the bullpen last year with the A's (2.61 ERA) and it appears the Padres will keep him in a relief role. The left-hander filled in as Oakland's closer for a bit last season and it's possible he could work his way into the ninth inning in San Diego, as the Padres are currently fielding a patchwork bullpen.

Comment

Writer at MLB.com is calling Quackenbush the most likely closer candidate. He also envisions that Jon Edwards has a chance at crossing over into the role. Anyone have any thoughts on possibilities out there? GitH?
                            Quack closed just fine in the minors and when he first got a shot in the bigs, his struggles came when he started pitching the 6th, 7th and 8th innings. They look like they're going to give him first crack at closing and all I can say is, some guys thrive in the 9th inning role and struggle elsewhere, this could well be the case with Quack.

With Maurer going into the rotation, Drew will most likely slot into the set up role and be first one up if Kevin struggles.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Padres sign Carlos Villanueva and apparently still looking to sign Fernando Rodney so this closer thing might not be as settled as they said.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Padres supposedly about to sign Alexei Ramirez to man shortstop.
                                I'm pretty happy they went with ramirez and not Desmond. No pick surrendered, cheaper and shorter contract which won't block any of the three potential ss the Padres have in the minor leagues

Comment

Working...
                                X