• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player A
    .274 ba - .333 obp - .391 slg - 9 hr - 50 rbi

Player B
    .269 ba - .325 obp - .425 slg - 10 hr - 49 rbi

Player A tried holding the Padres for ransom and overplayed his hand after having only one big year and received a 4 year $52 million contract. Player B makes $516k and is eligible for arbitration in 2017.

Of all the scrutinized moves Preller has made (and, hey, Kemp is on FIRE) this is one that is in his favor (for now)

Obviously, player A is Chase Headley and player B is Yangervis Solarte. It's been a joy watching him play.

Comment

• I commended their moves, but it turned out to be an epic disaster. But Eld -- it was the manager's fault! Come on!

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        And the Padres finish their majestic makeover season with a record of 74-88, three games worse than last year, and 18 games out of first place.

I've just re-read this entire thread and all the congratulatory posts about what a great offseason it was for the Fathers brought a wry smile to my face. Ah, schadenfreude!

This thing went about as poorly as humanly possible for Preller (the guy who could "legally commit murder in San Diego" after his amazing offseason, according to some ) and the Padres. They are saddled with a multitude of horrific contracts for aging players, little to no minor league talent, and at least as many question marks as before they started their overhaul. I wish I could say I was above saying "I told you so!"........but I'm not.
        Good luck in the playoffs.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          I commended their moves, but it turned out to be an epic disaster. But Eld -- it was the manager's fault! Come on!
          Actually I believe they screwed it up when they fired Black. He had them 1 game under even though they were under performing. There were a lot of things that went wrong, but saying it was an epic disaster means you really haven't looked at the team closely. I'll do a post mortem soon.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Actually I believe they screwed it up when they fired Black. He had them 1 game under even though they were under performing. There were a lot of things that went wrong, but saying it was an epic disaster means you really haven't looked at the team closely. I'll do a post mortem soon.
            Well, their 2014 pre-season Vegas odds were 100-1, and their 2015 pre-season odds were 20-1. And they have $80m already committed to just 5 players in both 2016 and 2017, which would be their highest payroll ever up to the 2014 season. And one of those players is Melvin BJ Upton. And as many here discussed, they traded away many of their top prospects. So I'd love to see what you have to say.

Comment

• As a Marlins fan who has been through this more than once, I feel your pain ElD

Comment

• Ron Gardenhire and Pirates third base coach Rick Sofield have both had second interviews for the Padres manager job.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Ron Gardenhire and Pirates third base coach Rick Sofield have both had second interviews for the Padres manager job.
                  Also have heard Tim Wallach and One of the Jays coaches are still in the mix as well.

I have a feeling it's going to be Gardenhire.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Preller again does his own thing.

Andy Green is the new Padre Manager, formerly the 3b coach of AZ.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Preller again does his own thing.

Andy Green is the new Padre Manager, formerly the 3b coach of AZ.
                      Like the former Yankee utility guy from a decade ago? Always kinda liked that dude.

Comment

• It's an opinion that you speak as if it's the truth, the truth has yet to be determined in regards to Preller's ability. '

I do take this personally from you in the baseball forums like Onejay ion the sports-bar. You consistently bash the Padres and specifically, my take of them. You don't even have the courtesy to at least pose your opinion on the form of a question, you flat out state I'm wrong. So yeah, it seems personal to me.

You haven't even bothered to give Preller's moves a chance to gain value. You basically say--he went all in and lost. That's not a very good analysis of a poker player in ONE tourney nor is it a fair analysis of a GMs first year and frankly you have NO idea of Preller and what he did from a San Diego fan's perspective. And you don't bother to ask for it either.

So if you want a different response from me in the future, think about what you say and how you say it.

Though we could always go back to Hodor.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Respond however you see fit and I'll comment how I see fit. We're both grown ups. I stand by what I said and believe the results speak for themselves.
                          Pretty much as expected.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Kimbrel and Benoit gone, Padres clear 20 Million off the books and somewhat restock the system. Who closes? I still think they'll trade for Storen. This isn't a fire sale, they're dealing what they think they can and I believe you'll see a couple of big bats brought in via FA. I can see them dealing Shields as well, that'd give them 40 million to work with.

But who knows when you have the worst GM in baseball pulling the strings...........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

But who knows when you have the worst GM in baseball pulling the strings...........
                              He might be worst as you say but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Comment

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                                He might be worst as you say but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while
                                Those that aren't Padre fans don't understand in the slightest what last off season meant to us.

Now if we can only spend 300 million and collapse in our first playoff series the next couple of year, our GM and team might past the mustard.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X