2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Apparently Preller asked for Goldschmidt from Arizona in return for Kimbrel. :facepalm:
    Seriously, did this dude start smoking the rock after landing the GM gig?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Apparently Preller asked for Goldschmidt from Arizona in return for Kimbrel. :facepalm:
      That can't possibly be true. Where did you see that?
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• OK, I found it. Man that guy is dumb. When Dave Stewart thinks you're being ridiculous...
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• It is true, but he was joking somewhat, from what I heard he was tired of being lowballed and started to say fuck it. That's when the Goldschmidt response came.

I can totally understand it, people come to me in leagues asking for players to help THEM finish in the money and offer players who I won't even keep next year.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            It is true, but he was joking somewhat, from what I heard he was tired of being lowballed and started to say fuck it. That's when the Goldschmidt response came.

I can totally understand it, people come to me in leagues asking for players to help THEM finish in the money and offer players who I won't even keep next year.
            So if he was joking, why would his boss announce it to the press other than to embarrass him?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              So if he was joking, why would his boss announce it to the press other than to embarrass him?
              To say to everyone, don't bring us your crap offers or you'll get this kind of response.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• you have to admit, the Padres haven't been known as the organization who plays hardball, ever.

At least now they have the attitude and Preller, for all his bluster still hasn't exercised his strength and that is the international prospect market.

60 games to go as he said, anything can happen..............

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Tim Federowicz designated for assignment. I'd guess he won't clear waivers.
                  I hope the Brewers grab him.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Food for thought. The Padres were 50-53 at the deadline in 1989 and ended up with 89 wins.

Watch for them to be active this month in waiver claims...........

Or not.

:P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So, you guys know (hopefully) that I don't have on rose-colored glasses as much as Doig does regarding the Friars but I am going to take the optimistic side of why they didn't make any moves at the deadline: Mainly, they have won 12 of their last 16 and 50 of their games remaining this year are against sub .500 teams - so, there is a realistic shot that they can pull this off.

Can they? The glass half-empty me says no way, there's too many teams to climb and there's too many sqaure pegs in round holes. The glass half-full guy says: Kemp is heating up (like he has done historically), the starting pitching has been very good of late, and they're bullpen (aside from Maurer's implosion yesterday after they tied it up in the ninth) has been great. Norris seems to be out of his doldrums and they're squeezing enough production out of Gyorko, Solarte and Venable to keep them afloat.

51% of me believes my first statement (about thinking they have a shot) as to why they didn't make any moves and 49% of me thinks that Preller is brash and being stubborn and making trades would be an admission that he bungled.

Comment

• As the Padres circle the drain....the first move has been quietly made.

Colin Rea is replacing OD in the rotation.

Grab him if you can cuz he's the best arm in the SD ml system.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Shileds passed through waivers. There's no way he's not dealt, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                            Shileds passed through waivers. There's no way he's not dealt, right?
                            No idea. I dumped him in our league. He has been very prone to HR this year, even though he pitches half of his games in Petco. I just don't think he is "Big Game James" at this point. But Preller may feel the need to be all-in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                              No idea. I dumped him in our league. He has been very prone to HR this year, even though he pitches half of his games in Petco. I just don't think he is "Big Game James" at this point. But Preller may feel the need to be all-in.
                              Heard a swap of big contract flops may be in order (Sandoval?)

Comment

• Swept by the Phillies? Really?

ETA: At home!
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X