2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I'm with MJ...Black shouldn't have been the one to take the blame for that horribly miscast group of players. Totally crap infield, and yesterday they put their 1st baseman at 3rd so they can get their corner OFer out of center so HE could play 1st.

It's a mess and it's certainly not Black's fault...
    I agree, they could have made better choices when putting this all together. Some of the deals were good in retrospect, but the choice to ignore how greatly the defense would affect the pitching was short sighted. Black has also contributed by never keeping a set line up, coddling underperforming Vets and making mind scratching pitching choices. This team, while flawed, should be right there with LA and it's not. If Preller can fire Black, he'd better have a plan to do something about SS and 2B.

The team can live with Meyers at 1st, Middlebrooks at 3rd and Alonso platooning between those 2 positions. Kemp and Justin at the Corner OF spot with Venable and Melvin in CF. Norris behind the dish. However the Middle Infield is a disaster. Improving these spots alone would boost the team, which leads the ML in errors I believe.

This last series shows they can play against the best and be competitive, now they have to show they can win rather than just fall short.

It will at least be interesting to see who takes over as I'm not seeing Roberts as the new Skipper.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      I agree, they could have made better choices when putting this all together. Some of the deals were good in retrospect, but the choice to ignore how greatly the defense would affect the pitching was short sighted. Black has also contributed by never keeping a set line up, coddling underperforming Vets and making mind scratching pitching choices. This team, while flawed, should be right there with LA and it's not. If Preller can fire Black, he'd better have a plan to do something about SS and 2B.

The team can live with Meyers at 1st, Middlebrooks at 3rd and Alonso platooning between those 2 positions. Kemp and Justin at the Corner OF spot with Venable and Melvin in CF. Norris behind the dish. However the Middle Infield is a disaster. Improving these spots alone would boost the team, which leads the ML in errors I believe.

This last series shows they can play against the best and be competitive, now they have to show they can win rather than just fall short.

It will at least be interesting to see who takes over as I'm not seeing Roberts as the new Skipper.
      They're gonna have to get by without Myers again....back to the DL with wrist issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        They're gonna have to get by without Myers again....back to the DL with wrist issues.
        I assumed that after Black's comment last night.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Myers wrist surgery, out two months.

Comment

Myers wrist surgery, out two months.
            This could signal the beginning of a sale. Preller has set July 1st as the date the padres need to have crawled back into it. Losing 3 of 4 from the A's isn't going to get it done. The club has to be disheartened after Black got canned. they'd played the Dodgers pretty close and could have won all 3 games. Maybe that's why Black was canned, but I think it was just an excuse as we all could tell there was something afoot once they denied the Brewers permission to interview Murphy, Black's replacement. I know Justin isn't happy and he's the one guy they needed to keep next season if they wanted to really show the league that this year's activity wasn't just smoke and mirrors.

BTW, Despaigne's blow up is upon us..........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• It's pretty hard to believe the Padres, after the boffo offseason they had, actually have a worse record than they did last year.

Comment

It's pretty hard to believe the Padres, after the boffo offseason they had, actually have a worse record than they did last year.
                I haven't been following close, but, wow...some of the new pickups are ugly. Matt Kemp...ewww. OPS about 100 points less than Will Venable. Ouch. The starting pitching is a horror show - Tyson Ross has a 3.90 ERA with a 1.57 WHIP, which shows he's been lucky. Cashner's been pretty bad. Kennedy has been awful.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• And insult to injury is the players that have been dealt off...Maybin has been terrific, Peterson has become a good 2nd baseman, Turner has the look of a future All Star, and Ross K'd 11 last night...ouch.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    And insult to injury is the players that have been dealt off...Maybin has been terrific, Peterson has become a good 2nd baseman, Turner has the look of a future All Star, and Ross K'd 11 last night...ouch.
                    Don't forget Grandal's .854 OPS and Wisler with an outstanding debut yesterday. Upton has been good and Norris has been solid, but Kimbrel's been average and Myers continues to be injury-prone. It's still too early to tell but only the Norris for Hahn trade looks like it could be a win and some of the other trades could look horrible a couple years down the line due to all the young talent they gave up.

Comment

• You heard it here first. Melvin Upton is about to become the regular CF and Leadoff hitter for the Padres with a perpetual green light to run wild.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        Don't forget Grandal's .854 OPS and Wisler with an outstanding debut yesterday. Upton has been good and Norris has been solid, but Kimbrel's been average and Myers continues to be injury-prone. It's still too early to tell but only the Norris for Hahn trade looks like it could be a win and some of the other trades could look horrible a couple years down the line due to all the young talent they gave up.
                        Myers will prove the deal worthy and of they can resign Justin, who's better in the entire host of players they dealt for him? Kemp, he's started to come around as has Kimbrel. If they can improve the middle infield D they can climb back in this.

PS Melvin Upton is gonna round back into his All Star form (and I'm gonna host OneJay at my Las Vegas enclave)

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Myers will prove the deal worthy and of they can resign Justin, who's better in the entire host of players they dealt for him? Kemp, he's started to come around as has Kimbrel. If they can improve the middle infield D they can climb back in this.

PS Melvin Upton is gonna round back into his All Star form (and I'm gonna host OneJay at my Las Vegas enclave)
                          Gotta love your eternal optimism At least you don't have to watch the Dodgers these days

Kemp does have a couple homers in the last week, but that's it - he's still rocking a .231 OBP in that span

Comment

You heard it here first. Melvin Upton is about to become the regular CF and Leadoff hitter for the Padres with a perpetual green light to run wild.
                            You can't steal first and all that.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• keith law, eldiablo505, anybody else who bet on "dumpster fire" - step up to the pay window!
                              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• brutal article
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X