Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Sun, Jun 7

Brandon Morrow was forced to leave his second minor league rehab start with Double-A San Antonio on Sunday due to discomfort in his right shoulder.

Advice: Morrow threw 49 pitches before departing. The prevailing thought was that he would be able to rejoin the Padres rotation after that second rehab start, though the timetable for his return is once again completely up in the air.

More: Corey Brock on Twitter
    (Rotoworld.com)
    Despaigne had his blip, take him out he's due for a bomb.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I cannot imagine a smarter way to use a great reliever than in following the dictates of a sportswriter who invented a stat 50 years ago.

leading 5-2 in the 9th - DANGER DANGER - teams usually score at least 5 runs in the 9th, don't they? (no)

but tied 2-2 in the 9th - gotta save the big gun in case we get a 5-2 lead, and we can't let just any chump protect that fragile lead...

#junkstat
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        I cannot imagine a smarter way to use a great reliever than in following the dictates of a sportswriter who invented a stat 50 years ago.

leading 5-2 in the 9th - DANGER DANGER - teams usually score at least 5 runs in the 9th, don't they? (no)

but tied 2-2 in the 9th - gotta save the big gun in case we get a 5-2 lead, and we can't let just any chump protect that fragile lead...

#junkstat
        the dictates of a sportswriter....hmmmm....that does sound scary
        --------------------------------------
        You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Craig Kimbrell just got his 200th save, making him the first player to get to 200 within his first six seasons. Only 452 more to catch Mo.
          Yeah, in a about ten years or so, i think the top five in career saves (600 club) will look something like this:

1. Rivera 652
          2. Kimbrel
          3. Papelbon
          4. KRod
          5. Hoffman 601
          Last edited by madducks; 06-08-2015, 11:59 PM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
            the dictates of a sportswriter....hmmmm....that does sound scary
            well played, Mandy, well played.

I'll deal with you when I get home later...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Gyorko demoted, Vincent called up. Jed apparently wasn't receptive to changing his swing in hopes of better success, this was coming for a while and with Spang's decent play they can do it. I don't think he'll be back in a Padre ML uniform. Vincent is a place holder until Meyers gets back. In related news, Melvin is starting tonight in RF.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, who would even pay attention to such a worthless stat? I mean, it's not like an entire hobby, consisting of millions of participants, uses it. And it's certainly not like there are entire websites and discussion forums devoted to that hobby.
                I'm a little surprised that managers have become such slaves to the stat. Seems like players/agents are driving this trend more than anything since saves = money both in arbitration and in free agent contracts and management is afraid to piss them off.

Comment

• Pretty sure he was just railing on managers for being so rigid, not denigrating fantasy players for worrying about it.

Last night's Dodger game was the perfect example - Yimi came in to face Lamb/Goldy/Tomas in a 2-run game so that Kenley could come in to face Peralta/Owings/Salty in the 9th. Lord knows I wish they would've just said "screw saves" and reversed that but luckily it worked out anyway.

Comment

A pretty good argument can be made that every single one of the statistics used in traditional 4x4 or 5x5 rotisserie baseball is worthless. Perhaps those swayed by those arguments can look forward to playing next year in their competitive mega nerd leagues with wRC+ and SIERA and wOBA and non-junk stats. Or they could just stop complaining when others reference them, I suppose.
                    if you're referencing me, then you didn't understand anything I said. but I don't know.

I like the traditional Roto stats, including Wins, and would not play in a league with other stats.
                    and in an unrelated note, it's absurd that MGRs use their best RP in 3-run lead scenarios instead of tie games where they are much more relevant to who wins the game, which seems like the point.

as I've noted, I kept K-Rod 2 and Ziegler 1 off my auction last year, and grabbed Ramos in late April this year as FA. some luck? of course. but I also had Ottavino and Giles at 10 entering the spring who might have won jobs.

so I pay attention to the real game, the fantasy game - and the dumb parts of the real game like poor usage of strong relievers. "slave to the stat" is correct.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Padres canned Bud Black.

Comment

• stellar tweet

OldHossRadbourn retweeted
                        suss2hyphens
                        3:18pm via TweetDeck

this leaves Lloyd McClendon as the only active black manager

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Padres canned Bud Black.
                          Writing on the Wall, someone had to take the blame.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I can't believe a baseball manager couldn't manage the softball team his GM put together....

Comment

• Pulling Shields yesterday after only 86 pitches and Benoit giving up the lead didn't help Buddy's situation. Jesus, Buddy, you signed the guy to be your horse and give you complete games yet you insist on using your standard formula and it bit you in the ass. I'm not one of the #firebuddy people, neither am I a Buddy apologist, but the time has come. Sure, the Padre roster over the last ten years has been less than, um, good, but it's not like he turned that rag-tag group around to become the Oakland A's south. Whopee, we went to the last day of the season in the Wild Card hunt 5 years ago! Fact is, ownership went out and gave Buddy some legit major leaguers (as opposed to the AAAA team he had to work with in the past) and they've underperformed. Something had to give.

Comment

• I'm with MJ...Black shouldn't have been the one to take the blame for that horribly miscast group of players. Totally crap infield, and yesterday they put their 1st baseman at 3rd so they can get their corner OFer out of center so HE could play 1st.

It's a mess and it's certainly not Black's fault...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X