2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

I say close but no cigar. Carlos Delgado had better numbers and he isn't in the HOF.
    Agreed.

Comment

• Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are considering former Cubs manager David Ross for their managerial vacancy.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are considering former Cubs manager David Ross for their managerial vacancy.
        That's what I'm hearing--I thought they were going with Benji Gil until ross became available. I still like Gil, but prefer Ross over Shildt-who was the other frontrunner.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are considering former Cubs manager David Ross for their managerial vacancy.
          That might make it harder for the Cubs to trade for Soto.

Rumor was for Morel but as of yesterday changed to some young pitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Why would Ross in SD make it harder for the Cubs to trade for Soto?

Comment

Soto isn't going to be traded unless the Padres sign Ohtani, which they hopefully won't do. He'll start the season as a Padre either WITH an extension or to play the season. Will only be traded at the deadline if the Padres absolutely tank. If he's not extended this before he becomes a FA, they'll offer a QO and try and sign in off the free market.

If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

Why would Ross in SD make it harder for the Cubs to trade for Soto?
                I was joking. See Ross got betrayed by the Cubs. This would make him angry...well if I have to explain it probably not a very good joke. at least I found it amusing. ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Soto isn't going to be traded unless the Padres sign Ohtani, which they hopefully won't do. He'll start the season as a Padre either WITH an extension or to play the season. Will only be traded at the deadline if the Padres absolutely tank. If he's not extended this before he becomes a FA, they'll offer a QO and try and sign in off the free market.
                  So the financial crunch is exaggerated?

Comment

So the financial crunch is exaggerated?
                    Seidler and Preller, have yet to talk about it. They have to correct their debt ratio, but that has been done. Their shortfall was due to 2 things, Bally Sports going belly up costing them 400 million, and missing the playoffs. The reports said 200 million was their cap for this year, I see them at 225-240 again. Right now they sit at 191 million with expected arb raises.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Blake Snell wins the NL CY Award. He becomes the 7th pitcher in MLB history to win a CY in each league (I didnt realize that that many pitchers had done it). The other 6 are Gaylord Perry, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay and Max Scherzer.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        Blake Snell wins the NL CY Award. He becomes the 7th pitcher in MLB history to win a CY in each league (I didnt realize that that many pitchers had done it). The other 6 are Gaylord Perry, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay and Max Scherzer.
                        Snell had an amazing year, but because of his past inconsistency, he does not get the respect of a Cy Young winner. He helped me win titles the last two years, but I have shopped him, because he is due an extension and I fear pitcher extensions. No one seems willing to give much for him, though. I know we don't know where he lands yet, but how do others feel about extending a $20 Snell? I know most here shy away from extending arms, but despite the tepid trade market, I know he would go for a lot more than $25 in my league if he were in the auction (we keep 15, so have high inflation--top arms can go for $50+). So, it isn't a matter of profit, but security. How safe a bet is Snell to be even 75% of what he was this year going forward?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Snell had an amazing year, but because of his past inconsistency, he does not get the respect of a Cy Young winner. He helped me win titles the last two years, but I have shopped him, because he is due an extension and I fear pitcher extensions. No one seems willing to give much for him, though. I know we don't know where he lands yet, but how do others feel about extending a $20 Snell? I know most here shy away from extending arms, but despite the tepid trade market, I know he would go for a lot more than $25 in my league if he were in the auction (we keep 15, so have high inflation--top arms can go for $50+). So, it isn't a matter of profit, but security. How safe a bet is Snell to be even 75% of what he was this year going forward?
                          Enjoy the profit, but I wouldn't extend him.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• The Padres are promoting Mike Shildt to be their next manager after he worked as a senior advisor to baseball operations for the last two seasons.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Cough...cough just not to the Cubs as highly rumored. This one I can see why the Cubs would not want a one year rental at the expense of young pitching. Congrats Yankees. Sorry to SD fans.

Comment

Cough...cough just not to the Cubs as highly rumored. This one I can see why the Cubs would not want a one year rental at the expense of young pitching. Congrats Yankees. Sorry to SD fans.
                                Yep, missed on this. Seidler's passing was apparently a factor in deciding to trade him. From everything I've heard, the Padres were going all in as long as Peter was alive forgoing penalties and caution to the win to bring him a championship before he passed. That's also why they didn't trade Snell or Hader at the deadline.

The Padres look to maintain a 200-something payroll but stay under the CBT. Soto wasn't going to talk about an extension, Boras made it clear they were going to test free agency (no matter what so the decision was made to deal him if the right package came along. I'm not sure if what the Padres got will manifest into something valuable, but they needed pitching after losing Snell, Hader, Martinez, Lugo, Garcia, and Wacha. Grisham was going to be dealt in any case as the Padres are most likely signing Jung-Sook Lee to play CF.

Now we wait to see what Preller has up his sleeve. Taking a chance to be wrong again, I'm fairly certain Jung-Hoo Lee will be the Padres CF in 2024. They obviously need an LF and should also be in the market for a 1b/DH type as well as bench depth. They also need a top-end starter and some BP depth.

The core of Machado, Tatis, Xander, Kim, and Cronenworth (though he might be traded too) should keep it steady if they can perform to expectations. Campy looks like he finally is coming into his own. Darvish and Musgrove are solid and they have some nice depth now in swing/BP arms.

All in all, they picked up 35 million plus in flexibility giving them 50 million to work with and stay around 200 million in payroll.

It will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.

Both Soto and Grisham should fare better in NY and I wish them luck (the players NOT the Yankees)
                                Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 12-07-2023, 04:41 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X