No announcement yet.

2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As expected, Preller was a buyer at the deadline. The Padres added Garrett Cooper, Ji Man Choi, Scott Barlow and Rich Hill. 5 games back for the final Wild Card spot. I can see why they're going for it. This has been a strange season to say the least. The analytics say the Padres should have a much better record than they actually do, but they are where they are. They have the 3rd best record in the NL if you look at the Pythagorean standings, their run differential is also the 3rd best in the NL, have the 6th best hitting & pitching WAR in MLB, the 4th best fielding team in MLB, yet again--there they are.

I, of course, believe they can continue to play at this level and make the playoffs. It's just that to date, they have not won more than 3 games in a row, are 0-10 in extra innings and 6-21 in 1 run games, the worst in MLB. They were the best in baseball in 2022 in that same category. It's been a season of, what can go wrong, does go wrong. Still, they had the best record in the NL in July and have 26 games vs teams ahead of them in the WC/NL West standing. I'm keeping the Faith. I'm glad they didn't sell off like the Mets.

Here's to the Dog Days and hopefully and San Diego run...

Happy Deadline everyone!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      As expected, Preller was a buyer at the deadline. The Padres added Garrett Cooper, Ji Man Choi, Scott Barlow and Rich Hill.
      They definitely didn't sell. These seem like half measures though. I don't think any of those guys actually moves the needle for their chances.

Cost was very low though so why not.

Comment

• Tonite, Yu Darvish broke the record for strikeouts in MLB for a Japanese-born pitcher, passing Hideo Nomo. He now has 1919 Ks in MLB to go along w 1250 Ks in Japan. But the Padres lost again and are 7 G below .500 and 6.5 G out of the wild card.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Tonite, Yu Darvish broke the record for strikeouts in MLB for a Japanese-born pitcher, passing Hideo Nomo. He now has 1919 Ks in MLB to go along w 1250 Ks in Japan. But the Padres lost again and are 7 G below .500 and 6.5 G out of the wild card.
          yep, but if you watched the game the Padres crushed the ball, but the O's found the holes. It's been this way all season long. but as we know--you gotta get it done when it counts and the Padres are NOT doing that.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

yep, but if you watched the game the Padres crushed the ball, but the O's found the holes. It's been this way all season long. but as we know--you gotta get it done when it counts and the Padres are NOT doing that.
            They had to save it up for Flaherty. I just traded for him!

Comment

• Top prospect Ethan Salas is being promoted to Double-A. He just turned 17 y/o 2 months ago. Wow!

Comment

• That sprint in RF and wave that Tatis does in the first inning must be getting a little old for the fans by now. Also the hip-hop dance or whatever that is and the picture taking after a HR.

They don't have to be robots, but maybe toning down the coolness a little would serve these guys better.

And I sure wish those kids on my street would stay off my lawn.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  That sprint in RF and wave that Tatis does in the first inning must be getting a little old for the fans by now. Also the hip-hop dance or whatever that is and the picture taking after a HR.

They don't have to be robots, but maybe toning down the coolness a little would serve these guys better.

And I sure wish those kids on my street would stay off my lawn.
                  I believe it's a cultural machismo thing.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Acee is a hack who's last 2 articles haven't had 1 named source. Until Seidler or someone in Ownership says this on the record, it's an op ed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The Padres place Luis Campusano on the 10-day IL.

He looks like a future top 10 catcher. Maybe as soon as next year.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        The Padres place Luis Campusano on the 10-day IL.

He looks like a future top 10 catcher. Maybe as soon as next year.
                        Has talent but has a problem staying healthy

Comment

• Nelson Cruz officially announced his retirement at age 43 after 19 seasons.

He finishes his career with 2,053 hits, 464 home runs, 1,325 RBI, four Silver Sluggers, and seven. All-Star games.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Nelson Cruz officially announced his retirement at age 43 after 19 seasons.

He finishes his career with 2,053 hits, 464 home runs, 1,325 RBI, four Silver Sluggers, and seven. All-Star games.
                            Does he make the HOF? Career 42.2 bWAR. Was mostly a DH in the last half of his career and lifetime -14.6 defensive bWAR. Seems kinda borderline.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post

Does he make the HOF? Career 42.2 bWAR. Was mostly a DH in the last half of his career and lifetime -14.6 defensive bWAR. Seems kinda borderline.
                              I say close but no cigar. Carlos Delgado had better numbers and he isn't in the HOF.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X