2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    From offseason heroes to now needing to win out just to get back to .500. Quite the fall from grace and quite the crow sandwich for every Padre fan who relentlessly beat me over the head with each next amazing offseason acquisition. The team was never as good as everyone seemed to think but it shouldn't be this bad, surely.
    I think it has much to do with players on the DL. I believe I read somewhere they lead the ML with the most games missed by players on the DL.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      I think it has much to do with players on the DL. I believe I read somewhere they lead the ML with the most games missed by players on the DL.
      They do lead MLB in time lost to the DL, barely ahead of the best team in the AL (the Rays). The Rays have had the most players on the DL, just ahead of the Brewers and the Giants. The Angels lead in terms of $ lost to the DL by a very wide margin while the Mets are 2nd just barely ahead of the Astros.

Here's the list of Padres who've hit the DL. I don't imagine it's much worse than any of the other teams, honestly: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled...-diego-padres/

Many of the DL days were taken by players who have missed the whole season but most of those guys are nobodies or relievers.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Tatis just hit one literally out of Dodger Stadium.

Apparently here is the list of all the players who've hit one out of Chavez Ravine:

Willie Stargell
        Mike Piazza
        Mark McGwire
        Giancarlo Stanton
        Fernando Tatis Jr
        I'm trying to figure out how a ball that left Chavez Ravine could only have travelled 467 feet.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I'm trying to figure out how a ball that left Chavez Ravine could only have travelled 467 feet.
          I spent about 10 minutes last night looking at images of dodger Stadium trying to figure that out. Just one level so if you get it onto the roof gravity and momentum do the rest. Surprised it has only happened 5 times, maybe the ball doesn't carry well there ?
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            I spent about 10 minutes last night looking at images of dodger Stadium trying to figure that out. Just one level so if you get it onto the roof gravity and momentum do the rest. Surprised it has only happened 5 times, maybe the ball doesn't carry well there ?
            Chavez Ravine certainly has the rep of being a pitchers park with the ball not carrying well. I've never dug into whether that's true or legend, though I suspect Dr. Seitzer knows from his PitchFx work back in the day.

But having seen that missile Tatis hit, I've concluded the only way it travelled a net 467 feet is it exited the atmosphere, knocked out a couple satellites, re-entered, and landed exactly 467 feet from home plate.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Looks like you can only really hit it out onto the promenade in left field. I am kinda surprised, too, that it hasn't happened more. Apparently Stargell's blast went 503 feet! Piazza's only went 420 feet but still went out somehow. Not 100% sure how that works.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Looks like you can only really hit it out onto the promenade in left field. I am kinda surprised, too, that it hasn't happened more. Apparently Stargell's blast went 503 feet! Piazza's only went 420 feet but still went out somehow. Not 100% sure how that works.
                I recall Willie Stargell hit an epic blast in Portland when he played against the AAA Portland Beavers.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I recall Willie Stargell hit an epic blast in Portland when he played against the AAA Portland Beavers.

This was a few months before I moved to Portland area, but it was somewhat of a local legend
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

When I lived in Portland my girlfriend lived across the street from a place called Beaver Engraving. A tree blocked part of their sign, so what you could see was "Beaver ....aving". I always imagined that it was the Beaver Shaving company, which amused me.

Comment

• According to Padres president of baseball operations A.J. Preller, "no decision" has been made on Jayce Tingler's employment status at this time.

Preller added Tingler will manage the Padres on Saturday afternoon and also noted that a report from MLB Network's Jon Heyman, which indicated that the team was planning to relieve him of his managerial duties, was "completely premature." It appears that Tingler will remain the Padres manager for the moment, but it doesn't rule out the possibility that he will be dismissed at the conclusion of the regular season. There should be further clarity on the situation in the near future. Stay tuned.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Holy crap! I just realized that the Padres will finish under .500 this season. I realized a few weeks ago that they weren't going to win 90 games. But now they may not even win 80.
                        Last edited by madducks; 10-03-2021, 07:42 PM.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• As expected, the Padres fired manager Jayce Tingler this afternoon.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• As a Padre fan good riddance to a good guy but poor manager. If only Preller could go with him.

Comment

• The Padres plan to interview former Cardinals manager Mike Shildt. I don't expect Shildt to be unemployed for very long.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Fernando Tatis will not undergo shoulder surgery this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X