2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    If so, I sure wish the Mets would hire someone who is nuts!
    agreed, but replace Mets with O's or D'backs.

whether it's great baseball, it's *got* to get the fans psyched and will put butts in the seats, which just leads to more money available...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      If so, I sure wish the Mets would hire someone who is nuts!
      Yeah, I wonder how many teams are going to copycat what the Pads are doing next season. Let's see if the Mets' 5-yr plan outpaces the Pads 1-yr plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post

whether it's great baseball, it's *got* to get the fans psyched and will put butts in the seats, which just leads to more money available...
        Wait... you're unhappy with Duquette?!
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Wait... you're unhappy with Duquette?!
          your sarcasm is unbecoming.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I'm not sure that KS is being sarcastic, but I'm not. Why on earth would you be unhappy with what the O's have done? They won the division and were a few runs away from going to the away from going to the WS last year...with a healthy Wieters and Machado back, I don't see them falling behind last years pace too much, if at all. They may not have traded wildly and signed high priced free agents, but they're a long way from being the Mets.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I'm not sure that KS is being sarcastic, but I'm not. Why on earth would you be unhappy with what the O's have done? They won the division and were a few runs away from going to the away from going to the WS last year...with a healthy Wieters and Machado back, I don't see them falling behind last years pace too much, if at all. They may not have traded wildly and signed high priced free agents, but they're a long way from being the Mets.
              OK, true, but i suspect they'll end up 3rd or 4th in the division this year. hitting is not their problem, though there are some holes (travis snider?). but they need more starting pitching. with a rotation of tillman, chen, norris, gonzalez, and gausman, there's not a lot of fear inspired. and britton is still a bit of an unknown.

i meant my comment more to apply to the d'backs though...

Comment

your sarcasm is unbecoming.
                I wasn't being sarcastic. Orioles have way exceeded expectations under Duquette. Just because he hasn't been active during the offseason, all of a sudden he's a bad GM? Lots of activity during the offseason isn't his job. It's to give the Orioles the best chance to win, year in and year out.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  The rumors are Cashner, Hedges and Liriano for Hamels and cash
                  I'd be fine with that. Cashner's proclivity for injury is a bit of a worry. Hedges might just be a great glove/no hit kind of a guy (which is acceptable for the position he plays but doesn't project to superstar status). And Liriano looked like he might be a right-handed Venable - decent power, decent speed but erratic as hell.

Comment

I wasn't being sarcastic. Orioles have way exceeded expectations under Duquette. Just because he hasn't been active during the offseason, all of a sudden he's a bad GM? Lots of activity during the offseason isn't his job. It's to give the Orioles the best chance to win, year in and year out.
                    i don't think he's done that this year. obviously you disagree. /shrug

Comment

i don't think he's done that this year. obviously you disagree. /shrug
                      93 wins and a wild card in 2012 with a team that was projected to be in last place and had win totals in the 60s for the previous five years
                      85 wins in 2013
                      96 wins and a division title in 2014

It seems awfully premature to judge him a failure based on that track record and what you think might happen in 2015.

Maybe you don't like what he's done with other aspects of the organization--front office, coaching staff, amateur draft, international signings--but that's not what I hear you saying.

Comment

93 wins and a wild card in 2012 with a team that was projected to be in last place and had win totals in the 60s for the previous five years
                        85 wins in 2013
                        96 wins and a division title in 2014

It seems awfully premature to judge him a failure based on that track record and what you think might happen in 2015.

Maybe you don't like what he's done with other aspects of the organization--front office, coaching staff, amateur draft, international signings--but that's not what I hear you saying.
                        i'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they win more than 80. they're probably not going to go 29-9 in one run games again (yes, i know that was only 2012). i could go into more detail, but this isn't an orioles thread and i don't want to hijack GITH's thread. maybe i'll find the o's one...

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                          I'd be fine with that. Cashner's proclivity for injury is a bit of a worry. Hedges might just be a great glove/no hit kind of a guy (which is acceptable for the position he plays but doesn't project to superstar status). And Liriano looked like he might be a right-handed Venable - decent power, decent speed but erratic as hell.
                          That's exactly why I don't see that package getting the job done...add in the fact that Cashner is in his walk year, and it's essentially 2 "B" level prospects for Hamels. And that's just not enough. Better to wait until the trade deadline if need be and get a bit of a bidding war going and see if someone is going to give an Addison Russell level prospect for Hamels.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Cashner is good through 2016
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Cashner is good through 2016
                              Adds some value, but still not enough, IMO....

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Adds some value, but still not enough, IMO....
                                I would much rather the Padres keep Cashner and hope for a healthy 2015. Keep their top prospects and deal them for help at the deadline.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X