Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Rios to Royals

1 year 11m

Perfectly reasonable gamble...this is a guy one year removed from an 18 HR/42 steal season.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

This says interesting things about the Rangers.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Perfectly reasonable gamble...this is a guy one year removed from an 18 HR/42 steal season.
        "Perfectly reasonable gamble", I've noticed, has become code for "f'in morons spending too much money on this shitty player" around these parts.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          "Perfectly reasonable gamble", I've noticed, has become code for "f'in morons spending too much money on this shitty player" around these parts.
          No. It means someone is paying $20 more than expected earnings.

OK. Same thing.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            MLB revenues are up, therefore free agents get more money (as it should be). There will still be good signings and bad signings, but you can't sign players now for what they would have cost 5 years ago.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              MLB revenues are up, therefore free agents get more money (as it should be). There will still be good signings and bad signings, but you can't sign players now for what they would have cost 5 years ago.
              Is it my imagination or have the salaries for top middle relievers gone up more than any other position in the last five years?
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                MLB revenues are up, therefore free agents get more money (as it should be).
                Too bad it doesn't trickle back down to the families attending the games

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Is it my imagination or have the salaries for top middle relievers gone up more than any other position in the last five years?
                  It's not your imagination. The Royals discovered the new Moneyball angle, that paying three guys decent money to lock down 33%-40% of a game when ahead is worth more than paying one guy huge money. It makes a lot of sense -- if we could guarantee that reliever stats don't wildly fluctuate from year to year, which is often the case.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    It's not your imagination. The Royals discovered the new Moneyball angle, that paying three guys decent money to lock down 33%-40% of a game when ahead is worth more than paying one guy huge money. It makes a lot of sense -- if we could guarantee that reliever stats don't wildly fluctuate from year to year, which is often the case.
                    I think they didn't so much discover it as have it forced on them - they tried using Wade Davis as a starter, but he was brutal there. And they were still trying to develop Kelvin Herrera as a starter in 2010, but he was apparently too fragile (my guess, based on browsing his total # of starts each year). Then each revealed themselves to be magic in relief.

But KC has quietly re-signed Jason Frasor and Luke Hochevar, so it certainly appears they appreciate the value the bullpen gave them.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

It has long been assumed that the Royals would have to trade Holland or Davis, given their salaries. I have both and would love for that to happen, but I've always thought that the Royals might just keep both. They are such an effective combo, they are worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                      X