Headley Returns to the Yanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headley Returns to the Yanks

and the Yanks bend again, going 4 years and $50m to have him return after saying they wouldn't do more than three years. I gather there was no $65m offer for him after all.

Originally posted by revo View Post
    and the Yanks bend again, going 4 years and $50m to have him return after saying they wouldn't do more than three years. I gather there was no $65m offer for him after all.
    Homeboy really cost him some dough by not negotiating with the Friars after his career 2012 season (it is said that he and his agents never even came to the table to negotiate). Exact numbers were never discussed but it was said that they were prepared to make him the highest player in team history. As of now, that contract is Jake Peavey's 5 year 52 million. Using that as a baseline, I can assume that what they offered then was more than what he just got from the Yanks.

If I were him, I would have taken a 1-2-3 year deal to try and get his value back up. But, maybe he knows he is what he is and that he can coast off of that 2012 season as long as possible.

Comment

So the Yanks are either going to have 2 pretty mediocre 3rd basemen eating up 32+ million per season, or they're going to eat the rest of the A-Rod contract. That's a big bite, 61 million left...and they won't be able to trade him without eating the entire deal, any other thought is strictly wishful thinking.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        So the Yanks are either going to have 2 pretty mediocre 3rd basemen eating up 32+ million per season, or they're going to eat the rest of the A-Rod contract. That's a big bite, 61 million left...and they won't be able to trade him without eating the entire deal, any other thought is strictly wishful thinking.
        A-Rod is going to DH.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          A-Rod is going to DH.
          Was he that far gone on defense? I thought that was his saving grace...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Was he that far gone on defense? I thought that was his saving grace...
            With two surgically repaired hips, probably.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yeah, I have to think the Yankees meant they weren't going to go 4/60 or 4/65. But 4/50 really isn't that bad. The real problem with A-Rod going to DH is that Beltran needs to be able to hobble around in RF.

If the Yankees buy A-Rod out, does all 61mil go on this year's salary? Maybe they can get under the luxury tax next year if they do it. But I think they're still hoping he is too hurt to play, or Selig makes him go away again.

Comment

ARod can play 1b once Teixeira goes on the DL.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Yeah, I have to think the Yankees meant they weren't going to go 4/60 or 4/65. But 4/50 really isn't that bad. The real problem with A-Rod going to DH is that Beltran needs to be able to hobble around in RF.

If the Yankees buy A-Rod out, does all 61mil go on this year's salary? Maybe they can get under the luxury tax next year if they do it. But I think they're still hoping he is too hurt to play, or Selig makes him go away again.
                  Selig is only commish for a few more weeks, so he'd have to act fast. Anyway, I don't think that there's anything that he can do at this point...A-Rod served the harshest suspension possible, and did it pretty quietly. I'd guess that he goes to ST and makes the club...just so he doesn't have to walk away from 61 million dollars...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    I was going to say that this was a big overpay, but after looking at Headley's numbers, it's pretty justified. Headley won't really even have to outperform his recent efforts in order to justify the contract, just be somewhat above average with the bat and the glove like he usually is.
                    Yeah - I really like this for the Yankees, compared to some other deals this off-season (Markakis 4/44, Butler 3/30, Sandoval 5/95)
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                    X