Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Morrow to the Padres?

Brandon Morrow - R - Blue Jays
    Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Padres have made a one-year incentive-laden offer to free agent hurler Brandon Morrow.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Brandon Morrow - R - Blue Jays
    Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Padres have made a one-year incentive-laden offer to free agent hurler Brandon Morrow.
    Josh Johnson part deux?

Comment

I have higher hopes for Morrow than I did for Johnson. When he pitched he was effective, it just wasn't very much ... I'd even be okay with Morrow returning to the Jays on a similar type of contract, altho I don't see it happening, esp. now.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I have no hopes that he'll make it through spring training with his arm attached to his shoulder. Hope I'm wrong, but this seems like deja vu all over again

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
          I have no hopes that he'll make it through spring training with his arm attached to his shoulder. Hope I'm wrong, but this seems like deja vu all over again
          I have to disagree with you. I think signings like Johnson and Morrow are no risk all reward moves who's upside is huge. These are two guys with great stuff who've been hurt just like Liriano who turned in a great year after several on the mend. Even if only one of them give the team half a season of league avg work it's a win. the Padres aren't depending on either of these guys to carry even the 5th spot, but should one of them work out, they can move a Despaigne out of his spot**I see him as wildly inconsistent without any real stuff to be a solid starter**That said, you may end up being a prophet, i just hope that will be a false one LOL!!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have to disagree with you. I think signings like Johnson and Morrow are no risk all reward moves who's upside is huge. These are two guys with great stuff who've been hurt just like Liriano who turned in a great year after several on the mend. Even if only one of them give the team half a season of league avg work it's a win. the Padres aren't depending on either of these guys to carry even the 5th spot, but should one of them work out, they can move a Despaigne out of his spot**I see him as wildly inconsistent without any real stuff to be a solid starter**That said, you may end up being a prophet, i just hope that will be a false one LOL!!
            Yeah, I hear ya - but Johnson was an $8 million dollar "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" that a team like this can't afford to miss on.

I agree, though, that they need to find a suitable replacement for Despaigne and get him out of the rotation. Once the league figured him out, he was toast.

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya - but Johnson was an $8 million dollar "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" that a team like this can't afford to miss on.

I agree, though, that they need to find a suitable replacement for Despaigne and get him out of the rotation. Once the league figured him out, he was toast.

Insurance covered that contract so it wasn't really sunk money. They'll get both Morrow and Johnson for under 4 million combined if that.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Insurance covered that contract so it wasn't really sunk money. They'll get both Morrow and Johnson for under 4 million combined if that.
                Yeah, well, that $4mil can still buy a lot of sushi

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Morrow is raw dog shit compared to Josh Johnson. Doesn't really matter since both are always hurt, though.
                  How raw can dogshit get?

Comment

Fresh squeezed outta the asterisk!

I get why people would compare Morrow to Johnson, mostly because they're both always hurt, but Johnson is absolutely elite when he's not injured. Morrow is, well, kinda good.
                    Yeah, I forget how good Johnson was...because it seems like it's been forever since he was able to pitch.

Comment

How raw can dogshit get?
                      this thread useless without pics?
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Fresh squeezed outta the asterisk!

I get why people would compare Morrow to Johnson, mostly because they're both always hurt, but Johnson is absolutely elite when he's not injured. Morrow is, well, kinda good.
                        Yeah well the year that he was here Johnson was elite raw dog shit baking in the sun.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Signed. 2.5 million plus incentives...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Signed. 2.5 million plus incentives...
                            Allows them to trade one of the other starters (Kennedy?) in an Upton deal?

Comment

Allows them to trade one of the other starters (Kennedy?) in an Upton deal?
                              Doubtful...I'd guess that they'll put him in the 'pen, where his elite fastball could play really well. If he starts, he's gonna break down, it's almost inevitable...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X