Twins Sign Ervin Santana...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins Sign Ervin Santana...

Yawn...4/54. Good value, but another 3/4 starter. Better than Corriea or Nolanco I guess.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I guess I don't understand why Minnesota would bother with this. It seems like their window will be when Buxton and Sano start carrying the team, and that's at least 2-3 years away. Santana could be a shell of himself by then. This just seems like a silly spending.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
      I guess I don't understand why Minnesota would bother with this. It seems like their window will be when Buxton and Sano start carrying the team, and that's at least 2-3 years away. Santana could be a shell of himself by then. This just seems like a silly spending.
      Hmmm...interesting. I thought it was a pretty solid signing. Yeah, there's some risk - he's in his age 32-36 years during the contract. OTOH, he's been reasonably durable (210+ IP four of six years), showed some quantifiable improvement last year in driving his BB/9 and K:BB ratios significantly in the right direction, he's in a park that helps his HR/9, and hasn't shown signs that his arsenal of pitches is deteriorating. The contract isn't unbearable, and if the Twins building program goes in the tank, they can probably deal him for a halfway decent return in year 2 or 3. And if the Twins building program does pan out well, his contract will expire just as they'll likely be looking to sign some of their young studs to early extensions.

Given today's pretty psycho market for pitching, I think the Twins did well here.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If it means anything, I immediately thought: "It's now safe to take Ervin completely off my draft board"

This guy is much better suited to pitching in the NL imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          If it means anything, I immediately thought: "It's now safe to take Ervin completely off my draft board"

This guy is much better suited to pitching in the NL imo.
          No, look at what Phil Hughes did in Target field last season...it's a great yard for a pitcher.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
          X