Wade Miley to Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Miley to Boston

for Allen Webster, Rubby de la Rosa & a minor leaguer.

This is a great deal for them, they gave up pitchers who have not succeeded at the MLB level for a guy who had a huge improvement 185 Ks last season.

Three straight years of increasing BB/9 and HR/9 would worry me, but the guy eats innings.

In a redraft league, where would Miley fall?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Miley ERA+s. 2012-14 - 122, 109, 86

ERA last yr: 4.34 xERA last year: 3.58

ok, that is interesting
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

That infield defense should do a solid job of turning all of those groundballs into outs

Comment

I think this is an awful deal for Boston, so I like it a lot.

Increasing BB/9 - doubled since 2012, increasing WHIP, FIP around 4 for two straight years. In the AL East, I think he's gonna get splattered. This leaves a starting five of Buchholz, Kelly, Masterson, Miley, and Porcello.

They better hope Hamels takes them off his no-trade list....
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Are the depleted Rays and Orioles offenses and maybe the aged-out Yankees really that scary, and is Boston O what it used to be? I wonder if the AL East is Beast meme is over.

Brandon McCarthy, another DBack SP, turned his season around in 2014 once he moved to the friendly confines of the AL East Yankees.

3-10, 5.01 ERA for ARI (and me!)
            7-5, 2.89 ERA for Yankees (and not me!)

not that they are such identical SPs overall, but both were just passable in NL West and one thrived in AL East....
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I think this is an awful deal for Boston, so I like it a lot.

Increasing BB/9 - doubled since 2012, increasing WHIP, FIP around 4 for two straight years. In the AL East, I think he's gonna get splattered. This leaves a starting five of Buchholz, Kelly, Masterson, Miley, and Porcello.

They better hope Hamels takes them off his no-trade list....
              My big reservation in this strain is that Miley throws a lot of breaking pitches. They ought to be more effective at sea level. On another level I trust the Red Sox to get more out of a pitcher than the Snakes.

OTOH, they are bringing a HR prone lefty to Fenway.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Are the depleted Rays and Orioles offenses and maybe the aged-out Yankees really that scary, and is Boston O what it used to be? I wonder if the AL East is Beast meme is over.
                To a degree, yes. Only one of the top six scoring teams last year was in the AL East (Tranna) and two were in the NL West (Colorado and LAD). OTOH, 7 of the bottom 8 scoring teams were NL teams.

Bigger picture, though, do the Red Sox really think they can win the division - much less the AL - with a rotation of Buchholz, Kelly, Masterson, Miley, and Porcello? I suppose they could be in on another trade or FA signing, and move Kelly to the bullpen as a swing guy, but those five sure don't look inspiring in the least.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                X