Yanks Sign Andrew Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanks Sign Andrew Miller

4 years, $36m. A new record for a setup reliever.

Presumably a setup guy. If they don't sign d-Rob, who closes?

Comment

altho he may end up closing.

the Blue Jay fan in me hopes he can find his way back to the 4.7 BB/9 he had in 2013.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Presumably a setup guy. If they don't sign d-Rob, who closes?
        Betances.

Comment

Miller, Robertson and Betances would be about as close to an unhittable 7-8-9 inning trio as you could get. But $9mil/year....wowza.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Going way out on a limb for the Yanks to go with either guy as a closer, IMO. Betances is one year from being a bust, and Miller is one year from pitching 9 and 17 games...a fair amount of risk there for a club that fancies itself a contender. They could still sign Robinson, but I would think that he wants something in the 12 million a year + for at least 3 seasons...that's a spendy bullpen for a club that didn't spend a ton last year, but still had a lot of success.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Going way out on a limb for the Yanks to go with either guy as a closer, IMO. Betances is one year from being a bust, and Miller is one year from pitching 9 and 17 games...a fair amount of risk there for a club that fancies itself a contender. They could still sign Robinson, but I would think that he wants something in the 12 million a year + for at least 3 seasons...that's a spendy bullpen for a club that didn't spend a ton last year, but still had a lot of success.
              If Robinson wants that much, I can only imagine what Robertson would want. : )

Comment

The way I see it they could have had Robertson for this amount but by going this way one of two things happens:
                1) Robertson signs elsewhere and they get the comp pick
                2) Robertson can't get anywhere near the money he wants because a team doesn't want to pay the comp penalty and he resigns cheaper with the Yanks giving them a stellar bullpen

There's always bust potential here but I like the way both potential outcomes play out

Comment

Those seasons you're talking about for Miller happened in '10 & '11, and it's very safe to say he's not even close to that guy any longer. If he was, he wouldn't have been the most hotly pursued free agent out there.

As far as Betances, his terrible season was in '12, but that was as a starting pitcher. Lotsa guys are allergic to starting but dominate in the pen (Miller is another one). If anything, Betances (6'8") and Miller (6'7") give the Yanks perhaps the tallest bullpen ever.

With the Yanks' rotation mediocre at best, copycatting the Royals is the best thing they could do, which is why I foresee Robertson returning. If they could give Miller four years, they could give Robertson four years.

Comment

Few relievers tend to be all that reliable. These guys do have eye-popping numbers, but 4 for 36. wow
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Those seasons you're talking about for Miller happened in '10 & '11, and it's very safe to say he's not even close to that guy any longer. If he was, he wouldn't have been the most hotly pursued free agent out there.

As far as Betances, his terrible season was in '12, but that was as a starting pitcher. Lotsa guys are allergic to starting but dominate in the pen (Miller is another one). If anything, Betances (6'8") and Miller (6'7") give the Yanks perhaps the tallest bullpen ever.

With the Yanks' rotation mediocre at best, copycatting the Royals is the best thing they could do, which is why I foresee Robertson returning. If they could give Miller four years, they could give Robertson four years.
                      Well, perhaps they'll do well to go over to the Knicks then...they certainly can use some help.

Bottom line is that it's a contract that's got the potential to go bad...relievers are notoriously unreliable from year to year. All you have to do is look at anyone not names Mo to see that the flameout rate is pretty high. As is the one season wonder rate for a guy like Betances...not to say that he's going to tank, but to expect a repeat of last season is pretty unlikely, IMO. And if they were going to give Robertson 4 years, don't you think they would have done so already? Now the well has been poisoned a bit, and he shouldn't settle for anything less than 4/44 million to be the closer. I can see him going down to the Nats, they're not going to let Storen spit the bit yet again. The Dodgers are also an option, as are the Giants, not to mention the White Sox and maybe a sleeper club that nobody see laying in the weeds.

ETA: There are 11 clubs with protected picks...the Cubs could be a player for Robertson, as well as the Astros, who supposedly offered Miller more money than the Yanks. Arizona could also be in the mix...as you said, build that 'Pen up like KC and hope that lightning can strike.
                      Last edited by Hornsby; 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, perhaps they'll do well to go over to the Knicks then...they certainly can use some help.

Bottom line is that it's a contract that's got the potential to go bad...relievers are notoriously unreliable from year to year. All you have to do is look at anyone not names Mo to see that the flameout rate is pretty high. As is the one season wonder rate for a guy like Betances...not to say that he's going to tank, but to expect a repeat of last season is pretty unlikely, IMO. And if they were going to give Robertson 4 years, don't you think they would have done so already? Now the well has been poisoned a bit, and he shouldn't settle for anything less than 4/44 million to be the closer. I can see him going down to the Nats, they're not going to let Storen spit the bit yet again. The Dodgers are also an option, as are the Giants, not to mention the White Sox and maybe a sleeper club that nobody see laying in the weeds.

ETA: There are 11 clubs with protected picks...the Cubs could be a player for Robertson, as well as the Astros, who supposedly offered Miller more money than the Yanks. Arizona could also be in the mix...as you said, build that 'Pen up like KC and hope that lightning can strike.
                        They didn't want to give Miller 4 years either, but when he had another 4-year offer in hand, they do what they always do -- they bend right over. Once Robby gets a 4-year offer, I'm sure they'll cave again.

BTW, anyone notice this infield? McCann (.232) & Tex (.216) are the only power, and then you have Gregorius, Prado & the rookie Refsnyder (as of now). Blechhh.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          They didn't want to give Miller 4 years either, but when he had another 4-year offer in hand, they do what they always do -- they bend right over. Once Robby gets a 4-year offer, I'm sure they'll cave again.

BTW, anyone notice this infield? McCann (.232) & Tex (.216) are the only power, and then you have Gregorius, Prado & the rookie Refsnyder (as of now). Blechhh.
                          You forget Ryan and A-Rod my friend...as the Yanks seem to be trying to do as well. They don't seem to want to discuss him as a possibility at 3rd...interesting.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

White Sox allegedly interested in Robertson. There's your team that won't lose a pick.

Comment

Working...
                            X