NL only - Fernandez vs Syndergaard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL only - Fernandez vs Syndergaard

9 team NL only keeper league, 5x5 roto. I'll be building for 2016+.

4 years of Fernandez ($10, $15, $20, $25)
    vs
    6 years of Syndergaard ($5, $5, $10, $15, $20, $25)

Is this heavily weighted toward Fernandez?

when does the Syndergaard clock start? you'll lose money I bet on Fernandez in 2015, and he may not be all-in for 2016 either. his contract keeps rising as his likely value will. If Syndergaard is good out of the gate and avoids TJS (not a lock), in his case you may make a profit every year.

interesting conundrum, depending on the start of the Noah clock
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Syndergaard's clock starts the year he's called up (which I assume to be 2015).

Comment

What ELD said...the Marlins expect Fernandez back in June or July, and they're talking realistically about his contribution this season. So while he's going to be limited, I fully expect that, barring a setback, he'll once again be a top 5 or 10 pitcher in 2016, What Noah is capable of is anyone's guess...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

"So while he's going to be limited, I fully expect that, barring a setback,"

interesting that while Noah is considered a risk here, a second Fern injury is just "barring a setback..."

I'd need to see a recent age-parallel to him who has never again skipped a beat.

Fernandez likely will be an excellent SP again, with IP. but it takes time, and this contract has a red light with a bunch of wires.

re Noah, what does "called up" mean? if his contract clock starts with a year used up if he comes in Sept and pitches 5 IP, that cuts into the deal for sure.

"Going away" is insufficient without addressing the ever-increasing contract and the older 2nd TJS talents. And Strasburg has been good, but does he crush a contract like this?

context.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I'm with ElD and Hornsby. JF has shown himself to be a top tier generational talent. Truly special. Thor has shown nothing in The Show. Even granting JF's significant risk in 2015 and maybe beyond, his ceiling isn't a speculation--we've seen what he can do. Thor ever getting to the mountaintop Jose has already been to is a longer shot than Jose getting back there imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              "So while he's going to be limited, I fully expect that, barring a setback,"

interesting that while Noah is considered a risk here, a second Fern injury is just "barring a setback..."

I'd need to see a recent age-parallel to him who has never again skipped a beat.

Fernandez likely will be an excellent SP again, with IP. but it takes time, and this contract has a red light with a bunch of wires.

re Noah, what does "called up" mean? if his contract clock starts with a year used up if he comes in Sept and pitches 5 IP, that cuts into the deal for sure.

"Going away" is insufficient without addressing the ever-increasing contract and the older 2nd TJS talents. And Strasburg has been good, but does he crush a contract like this?

context.
              Fernandez has shown elite level skills at the very highest levels of his sport, Syndergaard has shown nothing at this level, so he's a much higher risk because of that, IMO. Pitchers are always one pitch from blowing up, aren't they? So again, I think that it only makes sense to invest in one who's shown that he's as close to a sure thing as there is. The major league landscape is littered with "prospects" who've never been able to advance beyond that stage, so I'll take the chance on the guy who's done it, vs the guy who hasn't.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

This is weird, since I am banking on both these guys carrying water next season.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I would not bank on a lot from either in 2015, especially in terms of MLB workload.

Another issue here would be if there is a penalty - financially or otherwise - to having to cut either down the road.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I would not bank on a lot from either in 2015, especially in terms of MLB workload.

Another issue here would be if there is a penalty - financially or otherwise - to having to cut either down the road.
                    If it's a matter of rolling dice, then hand me the cup. My offense is going to be very solid, but time is creeping up on it. Next year youth will come through, or we go home empty. In any event, my rotation is coming from what I already own:

SP Matt Harvey NYM
                    SP Zack Wheeler NYM
                    SP Carlos Carrasco Cle
                    SP José Fernández Mia
                    SP Noah Syndergaard NYM

SP Lucas Giolito Was
                    SP Carlos Rodon CWS

16 team H2H, SPx4, RPx3, Px3. Wheeler is in his last year. Fernandez, Syndergaard and Carrasco have options for 2016. Harvey for 2016 and 2017. I have 2 picks in the first 200.

Yes, I know I am overexposed to Mets.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X