Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW -- Shelby Miller & Tyrell Jenkins to Braves for Jason Heyward & Jordan Walden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW -- Shelby Miller & Tyrell Jenkins to Braves for Jason Heyward & Jordan Walden

wow, wow, wow

Rats Rats rrrrrrrrrraattsss. The Cubs blew this one! Heyward is just the kind of player the Cubs should be spending money on.

Comment

Wow not so long ago that Heyward was the biggest cant-miss prospect baseball had ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        Wow not so long ago that Heyward was the biggest cant-miss prospect baseball had ever seen.
        Getting smashed in the face as he did certainly doesn't help. He's also still very young

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          Getting smashed in the face as he did certainly doesn't help. He's also still very young
          Yeah I think this is a terrible terrible trade for the Braves. Who trades a potential elite OF for a pitcher? What the hell are they thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            If you buy into B-R's WAR calculation, he's been fulfilling that promise - 3 times top 10 NL WAR in 5 seasons, and only 24 years old.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Rats Rats rrrrrrrrrraattsss. The Cubs blew this one! Heyward is just the kind of player the Cubs should be spending money on.
              But the Cubs didn't have a pitcher to trade. In fact they need pitchers not hitters.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Holliday's contract only goes thru 2016 (2017 $1M buyout); wouldn't be surprised if St Louis is confident they can sign Heyward long-term.
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  But the Cubs didn't have a pitcher to trade. In fact they need pitchers not hitters.
                  Yep, the Cubs are not in a position to part with Kyle Hendricks (who probably is not perceived as strongly as Shelby Miller). C.J. Edwards and Pierce Johnson likely are not can't miss prospects at the moment. And I doubt if Atlanta is feeling charitable enough to take Travis Wood or Edwin Jackson. Kudos to St. Louis for their history of developing and resurrecting starting pitchers. That let them make a deal like this.

Comment

1 year of Heyward vs. 4 of Miller.

Yeah I'd probably still take Heyward.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      I understand trading Heyward if the Braves couldn't fit him under their budget. I didn't think that they needed pitching. Now they have a gap at 2nd and right field. They might not be through dealing yet. The Braves now seem to have a surplus of starting pitching and need offensive help. A deal with the Dodger's, Red Sox and/or another with the Cubs wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                        I understand trading Heyward if the Braves couldn't fit him under their budget. I didn't think that they needed pitching. Now they have a gap at 2nd and right field. They might not be through dealing yet. The Braves now seem to have a surplus of starting pitching and need offensive help. A deal with the Dodger's, Red Sox and/or another with the Cubs wouldn't surprise me.
                        LaStella for Miller?

kidding

Maybe they want Prado back for Vizcaino (who was drafted by the Yanks).
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Heyward hits free agency after this year. Maybe he's the next $300M player? Maybe not quite but I bet he gets close. He's pretty much the exact same age as Stanton (but is a much better defender and much worse hitter.) They're both only 25 years old.
                          I just don't see it...mediocre power, mediocre BA, decent speed, good defender. None of that adds up to a 25 million a year player no matter how young he is...the fact is he's regressing, not progressing.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            I just don't see it...mediocre power, mediocre BA, decent speed, good defender. None of that adds up to a 25 million a year player no matter how young he is...the fact is he's regressing, not progressing.
                            Not good; great.

Comment

And Walden is a nice throw-in player in this deal. He has previous closer experience and had decent numbers with Atlanta last year. He could be the closer-in-waiting behind Rosenthal.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X