A bit of trade help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of trade help please.

I have been offered a $40A Kershaw for my $22B Ben Revere. If I kept Revere I would give him a year raise making him $27 for two years.

This is a 5x5 NL only keeper with a $260 budget.

My two best pitchers on my keeper list are Julio Teheran $10B and Tyson Ross $10B. I also have Matt Garza at $7B and Matt Cain $27A (planing to trade either way).

In the outfield I have Pence $30, Werth $24, with a free Michael Taylor in reserves.

I hate to trade offense for pitching, but we are talking the best pitcher in baseball.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

I'd take this deal right now. 18 bucks to upgrade for Revere to the best pitcher in baseball? Yes, please, thank you very much
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I'd take this deal right now. 18 bucks to upgrade for Revere to the best pitcher in baseball? Yes, please, thank you very much
      Hard to argue with this logic.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

First let me say thank you to all who commented. I did pull the trigger and feel pretty good about it.

Honestly, I don't know how good I will feel about it as the auction gets closer. I have a hard time spending big money on pitchers. Given that I have Teheran, Ross, and Garza for a combined $27, I thought I might be good to go with the extra money on offense.

Speed in our league is a premium and most of it is high priced or next to impossible to trade for.

That is why I needed the extra push from you guys. I do appreciate it.

This morning my keeper pitching staff looks like This:

Kershaw-$40
        Teheran-$10
        Ross- $10
        Garza-$7
        Gee -$6
        Jorge De La Rosa -$1
        Hawkins -$8

With Anderson $3, and Cain $27 as trading chips.

Pretty strong for $82 bucks.

Comment

Another owner has inquired about Kershaw. He has a $15B Puig. Probably would give him a 2 year raise to $25.

He emailed me this: Kershaw and ? for Puig?

I don't think I am as high on Puig as some of the folks here.

So I thought I would ask you guys.

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you Eld.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Thank you

Comment

I like Puig, but I don't love him. If he needs an extension I'm not sure I throw Teheran or Ross into that deal. But probably would do anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                I like Puig, but I don't love him. If he needs an extension I'm not sure I throw Teheran or Ross into that deal. But probably would do anyone else.
                Thanks JC.

I cannot throw in Tehren or Ross as there is not much pitching to buy that will be back in the auction. Of the top 20 starters only Bumgarner will be back in the auction. The guy who is offering up Puig has Lee at $38 so if he can't trade him he will be back in.

Both of those guys will go huge to teams that need starters.

I am assuming that you love Kershaw (what is not to love) but would still add a sweetener to get Puig who you merely like. I am guessing you don't like Kershaw's salary?

Does the lack of pitchers back in auction change your stance?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  As I noted in a PM to Gregg, there are lots of indicators that show that Puig got even better last year. His is a case where going into the advanced stats gives a much more complete picture of what he did and what he can do than just looking at the superficial roto category numbers. Puig was a top 5 hitter in the NL last year and he's only 23 years old. Buy!
                  Does what I just wrote to JC soften your stance?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Thanks JC.

I cannot throw in Tehren or Ross as there is not much pitching to buy that will be back in the auction. Of the top 20 starters only Bumgarner will be back in the auction. The guy who is offering up Puig has Lee at $38 so if he can't trade him he will be back in.

Both of those guys will go huge to teams that need starters.

I am assuming that you love Kershaw (what is not to love) but would still add a sweetener to get Puig who you merely like. I am guessing you don't like Kershaw's salary?

Does the lack of pitchers back in auction change your stance?

Thanks.
                    I really like Kershaw. At 40 he is a bargain. But pitchers break, and 23 year old hitters generally improve. Straight up I think I still take a $25 Puig for a $40 Kershaw and worry about pitching later. Even if I have to throw in a sweetener. Or take Puig and only make him $20 for 2 years.

If there's no pitching available where does the money go? Do people spend $19 for Dillon Gee or just accept it and move the money to hitting?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I really like Kershaw. At 40 he is a bargain. But pitchers break, and 23 year old hitters generally improve. Straight up I think I still take a $25 Puig for a $40 Kershaw and worry about pitching later. Even if I have to throw in a sweetener. Or take Puig and only make him $20 for 2 years.

If there's no pitching available where does the money go? Do people spend $19 for Dillon Gee or just accept it and move the money to hitting?
                      The league does value hitting more than pitching. But in this case it is more of at value pitching keepers that will be rostered this year. The last 2-3 years have found less pitching studs at auction, with this year being the worst.

Comment

I added Puig in a dump deal in July; he is 10 and 15 for me the next 2 years. I'm not completely sold on him as a top-3 NL player, though we both love the price.

If I'm you I think I'd rather have Kershaw, given the circumstances. But as JC notes, that empty cupboard of SP can be tackled differently by different leagues.

also in play is how good your keeper list, which is your "go for it" year, etc. no easy answer just based on salaries.

Kershaw was 43 for the same owner the last 3 years. He finished 2nd, 1st, and 4th and cashed each year.
                        Now he's back in the auction, and I suspect he goes for 45-46.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Well I offered Kershaw, C J Edwards and Robert Stephenson for Puig and was rejected. He got cold like many in our our league myself included in spending $40 on a pitcher.

He came back and offered Puig straight up for Teheran. Of course based on your coaching I accepted the offer. I think Teheran is going to have a monster year. I hope Puig does two. Normally I would give Puig two years, but I am short of cash going into the auction so I might only give him one year to $20.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Well I offered Kershaw, C J Edwards and Robert Stephenson for Puig and was rejected. He got cold like many in our our league myself included in spending $40 on a pitcher.

He came back and offered Puig straight up for Teheran. Of course based on your coaching I accepted the offer. I think Teheran is going to have a monster year. I hope Puig does two. Normally I would give Puig two years, but I am short of cash going into the auction so I might only give him one year to $20.

Thanks for all the help.
                            While I am not happy about losing my $28 H.Ramirez it makes me even more glad that I made this trade. I can now afford to give Puig that second year.

Comment

Working...
                            X