Cubs/Braves make a deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs/Braves make a deal

Tommy LaStella goes to the Cubs along with Atlanta's slot in the international signing bonus and Arodys Vizcaino and Chicago's slot goes to Atlanta.

I am not surprised that the Braves made a trade with the Cubs involving a middle infielder, but in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that it would be anything like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Yeah, why on earth are the Cubs trading FOR middle infielders?
      Maybe trading Valbuena and want a reserve infielder...not sure about the plans for 3B. Maybe LaStella starts and Baez goes to 3B.

Comment

what about alcantara?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
          Maybe trading Valbuena and want a reserve infielder...not sure about the plans for 3B. Maybe LaStella starts and Baez goes to 3B.
          Kris Bryant may have something to say about that.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            what about alcantara?
            Maybe CF or a part of a trade for Hamels or another starter?

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Kris Bryant may have something to say about that.
              If he can play 3B...I'd guess he is an OF.

Comment

Guess the Braves really wanted Vizcaino back....

Comment

At least LaStella appears to be a potential reserve IF upgrade over Logan Watkins or Chris Valaika, the latter who ended up with far too many ABs for the Cubs last year. He seems like an insurance policy to help the roster after future trades or if the Cubs don't end up with a CF upgrade and need to start Alcantara there most days. There are rumblings that Bryant will not be promoted until 3-4 weeks into the 2015 season, so the Cubs would need an extra IF body to start the year if that was the case.

The actual reason behind the trade many be that Vizcaino reportedly would have needed to be exposed to waivers if they were to send him down the the minors (which is possible given the Cubs' current glut of relievers). Since he would be likely to be claimed by someone like Atlanta, Theo and Jed looked and found a way to get some value for him at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros View Post
                    At least LaStella appears to be a potential reserve IF upgrade over Logan Watkins or Chris Valaika, the latter who ended up with far too many ABs for the Cubs last year. He seems like an insurance policy to help the roster after future trades or if the Cubs don't end up with a CF upgrade and need to start Alcantara there most days. There are rumblings that Bryant will not be promoted until 3-4 weeks into the 2015 season, so the Cubs would need an extra IF body to start the year if that was the case.

The actual reason behind the trade many be that Vizcaino reportedly would have needed to be exposed to waivers if they were to send him down the the minors (which is possible given the Cubs' current glut of relievers). Since he would be likely to be claimed by someone like Atlanta, Theo and Jed looked and found a way to get some value for him at this stage.
                    I would rather have seen them put Vizcaino in a package with some other players and gotten Heyward.

Comment

Those "some other players" would have to be extremely elite. Heyward is one of the best outfielders in all of baseball.
                      Oh, I know. He is only 26 so one of the elites and a solid would have to go.

Comment

Yeah, why on earth are the Cubs trading FOR middle infielders?
                        Steve Phillips speculated this morning that this was a pre-cursor to another deal involving some of their infield prospects for Jordan Zimmermann.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Steve Phillips speculated this morning that this was a pre-cursor to another deal involving some of their infield prospects for Jordan Zimmermann.
                          So, shifting Rendon to 3B and Zim to 1B opening a hole at 2B or SS?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            So, shifting Rendon to 3B and Zim to 1B opening a hole at 2B or SS?
                            La Stella would fill the 2B opening. He didn't think Castro would be traded, he figured it would be Alcantara or Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              I can't see any way that the Nats deal away a dominating, #1 starter for anything less than a boatload. Especially considering that he's already signed for next year, and could bring the house if they decide to deal him at the trade deadline...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X