Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about retiring from roto, should I with this team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about retiring from roto, should I with this team?

I've been thinking about retiring from fantasy baseball for a while and a few years ago when I had a rookie Trout, Harper, and Moore (#1, 2, and 3 top prospects that year) I decided that I'd retire after the 2015 season, when all three would have expired contracts. I traded Moore away, but still have Trout and Harper. Still waiting for that breakout season from Harper though...

Our 2nd kid is on the way, due around July 1, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and retire now. I won both my leagues last year, redraft and keeper, first time I've ever done this. I also won my keeper in 2013 so I could go for the threepeat in 2015. The plan was to quit the redraft league and only do my keeper in 2015 and then retire.

Would you retire now if you had these keepers in 2015? Keep in mind closers are not worth a lot because we stupidly voted to do SV+H as a cat replacing SV. So Allen and Doolittle probably get tossed back if not traded. I'd almost surely do all 1 yr contracts unless I want some trade ammo. I could probably trade Bryant, Rodonm Castillo, etc for a good return. I only need 10 majors, 6 minors. I have others but didnt list everyone. I have 9 stared that I either have to keep or likely will keep.

Harper 11*
    Polanco 1*
    Trout 11*
    Mesoraco 1
    Morneau 2*
    Martinez 12*
    Alcantara 1
    Bogaerts 1
    Pujols 24
    Baez 1

Allen 1
    Carrasco 1*
    Cole 6*
    Doolittle 1
    Gausman 1*
    Hutchison 4
    Kennedy 3
    Hendricks 1
    Fernandez 6*

Minors
    Pompey
    Bryant
    Rusney Castillo
    Peraza
    Carlos Rodon
    Aaron Blair or Hunter Dozier or Nimmo or maybe Steven Moya
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

This has to be one of the strangest questions ever posted on this site. First, why would the composition of your team impact when you retire? It's either fun or it's not. Second, how can any of us offer even a modicum of insight into whether you enjoy the game anymore or not?

But you posed it so here goes: if I was a 2-time defending champion I would certainly go for the three-peat. But I still enjoy playing in my league. I used to be in two leagues, but dropped out of RJEL because I just didn't have the interest in following two teams anymore (notably, after my 2nd kid was born). My other league has been around since 1996 and we've been doing live auctions since 2003 so the choice was simple on which league I'd keep.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

bring in a co-owner to be manage day-to-day operations
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

If you aren't enjoying it and don't have the time move on. If you still enjoy it then you can consider partnerships or some other solution.

Comment

It's your hobby. Why would you give it up now? Trust me, as a father of 3 boys under age 8, you'll want to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            It's your hobby. Why would you give it up now? Trust me, as a father of 3 boys under age 8, you'll want to continue.
            Every year it gets a little less fun. I always told myself I'd walk away before I got to that last season that I just totally lost interest and checked out in May before quitting after the season.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              This has to be one of the strangest questions ever posted on this site. First, why would the composition of your team impact when you retire? It's either fun or it's not. Second, how can any of us offer even a modicum of insight into whether you enjoy the game anymore or not?
              Because if I have a great shot at winning again, possibly with paying little attention for the 2nd half of the season, then I'd have to do it. I certainly would love to win again but so many other things are taking up my time.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                Because if I have a great shot at winning again, possibly with paying little attention for the 2nd half of the season, then I'd have to do it. I certainly would love to win again but so many other things are taking up my time.
                Unless your league is full of patsies, there is very little chance of you winning if don't pay much attention in the 2nd half.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Unless your league is full of patsies, there is very little chance of you winning if don't pay much attention in the 2nd half.
                  Yup. His team certainly has a good chance of winning, but it's never a slam dunk.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Every year it gets a little less fun. I always told myself I'd walk away before I got to that last season that I just totally lost interest and checked out in May before quitting after the season.
                    I retired from my long time league last month, for this reason. I'm not in this for the money, rather for the fun, and when it stopped being fun I decided it was time to get out. The makeup of my team didn't factor into the decision... And I agree with others, it shouldn't.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

You seem to have already made up your mind...so how good your team may be isn't a factor. And it's not fair to your league mates to start, and then lose interest a couple of months in when they're fighting for the money spots.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I imagine that some people could play for the money. Then fun is not really all that important.

I do think that most people play for the fun and excitement with the money being a secondary perk.

I get that people lose interest. I agree with the others (unless the money is important) if it is not fun pack it in. Your team has nothing to do with it. If you do it now, you give your league time to find a new owner.

Comment

Do you look forward to the start of the season and a shot at the 3peat ? If that doesn't provide enough interest maybe you should just walk away. If you are not enjoying it, why bother ? If you are on the fence, Maybe you could take on a partner who could pass assume leadership of the team after next year. If you find yourself not enjoying the season just turn over the team a little earlier than planned
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Do you look forward to the start of the season and a shot at the 3peat ? If that doesn't provide enough interest maybe you should just walk away.
                            no, but in my 13 years of playing, I've never been interested before early to mid January.

Comment

no, but in my 13 years of playing, I've never been interested before early to mid January.
                              I quit fantasy baseball after the 2009 season. Don't really miss it, but if I was in the right league I'm sure I'd enjoy it again. I do actually look forward to playing again at some point. I will probably try to get back into it in a few years, but it is nice to take a break, particularly if you have more family responsibilities and less time. Good luck to you if you stick with it and go for your 3rd consecutive title.
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X