Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I hear $300M, now $320, $320 now $340...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Stanton is from California.

2. These contracts expire at the end of the 2017 season:
    - Andre Ethier
    - Carl Crawford
    - Josh Hamilton

I think it's very likely that Loria knows when those contracts expire.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      So you think it's likely that Loria will attempt to trade Stanton, who would then waive his no-trade rights, to the Dodgers or Angels in a few years? Because Stanton can't opt out himself until 2020...
      If Miami's a winner the next three years, it won't matter - everybody will be happy.
      If they're losing (and he's doing well individually), it's likely enough that he would accept a trade back to California to a winning team.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        So you think it's likely that Loria will attempt to trade Stanton, who would then waive his no-trade rights, to the Dodgers or Angels in a few years? Because Stanton can't opt out himself until 2020...
        There is an interesting article on Yahoo about this deal and Keith Olberman's thoughts..... but also it mentions that this might be a setup to sell the team.

The thing with Loria is that I wouldn't trust him no matter what he said, or what he put in a contract. He's just scum.

Comment

We're talking a bit about insurance, but it isn't the insurable career ending injury the Marlins need to be afraid of-- it's the Don Mattingly ruined back, the Ken Griffey breakdown, Barry Larkin's chronic issues, the Darryl Strawberry drug issues, etc. that should be keeping them up at night. Over the course of a thirteen year deal that is tremendously backloaded in terms of dollars that has ownership obviously betting on the player opting out and walking away from $218,000,000 over years seven through thirteen, ability limitation is a much bigger threat than debilitation. Imagine a Marlins team paying out that contract on a guy who hurts his back in year four and sees his power number drop back to 15 homers per while playing 100 game seasons for the next nine years.

I just can't see the logic of not only heavily backloading the deal but also giving a no-trade clause for a team like the Marlins. Sure, they could thread the needle, win a World Series in the next six years and then have Stanton opt out because he finds a team who will pay him even more than $218,000,00 for his age 31-38 seasons, but is that tremendously likely? They're in a division with Washington and a young and upcoming New York with Atlanta still lurking around meaning lots of games against tough opposition just to get to the division winning/wild card level. If Stanton has any kind of injury-- another concussion or two following the beaning, a chronic back/knee/shoulder problem, etc-- they're stuck with the entire back end of the deal. For all of the love and praise this deal is getting, I think it's a huge gamble for a team that cannot afford to gamble.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            We're talking a bit about insurance, but it isn't the insurable career ending injury the Marlins need to be afraid of-- it's the Don Mattingly ruined back, the Ken Griffey breakdown, Barry Larkin's chronic issues, the Darryl Strawberry drug issues, etc. that should be keeping them up at night. Over the course of a thirteen year deal that is tremendously backloaded in terms of dollars that has ownership obviously betting on the player opting out and walking away from $218,000,000 over years seven through thirteen, ability limitation is a much bigger threat than debilitation. Imagine a Marlins team paying out that contract on a guy who hurts his back in year four and sees his power number drop back to 15 homers per while playing 100 game seasons for the next nine years.

I just can't see the logic of not only heavily backloading the deal but also giving a no-trade clause for a team like the Marlins. Sure, they could thread the needle, win a World Series in the next six years and then have Stanton opt out because he finds a team who will pay him even more than $218,000,00 for his age 31-38 seasons, but is that tremendously likely? They're in a division with Washington and a young and upcoming New York with Atlanta still lurking around meaning lots of games against tough opposition just to get to the division winning/wild card level. If Stanton has any kind of injury-- another concussion or two following the beaning, a chronic back/knee/shoulder problem, etc-- they're stuck with the entire back end of the deal. For all of the love and praise this deal is getting, I think it's a huge gamble for a team that cannot afford to gamble.
            Maybe because Loria is 74 years old and knows there is a good chance he won't live to see the last part of the contract or not care? It will be somebody else's problem.

Comment

Working...
            X