Michael Cuddyer is a Met

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Cuddyer is a Met

Mets give up a pick to sign the soon to be 36 year old to a 2-year deal.

Mets gonna Met

How does his bat play in that park?

Comment

Mets had 2-7 unsuited, telegraphed it to the world, and they still called when the Rockies shoved.

Comment

It makes the Rockies look smart.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
          It makes the Rockies look smart.
          This is either #1 or #2 on the list of "ways to get fired" for most GMs.

Comment

Wouldn't it be cool if this was all worked out ahead of time as part of the Mets trading for Tulo?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Great move by a team that's certain to be contending over the next two years and has no need for first round picks at all. /s

My god.

Edit: 15th pick overall given up by the Mets. Yeesh.
              Alderson expected 90 wins in '14. They fell 11 wins short of that goal. A team with just 9 more wins than them won the World Series. And they now may, arguably, have one of the best rotations in the NL in '15 if Harvey comes back decently enough.

They were heavily rumored to be after him, but this was before the QO from the Rockies. I'm surprised they were still after him, as many wrote them off. It's an aggressive move, but this is a team that feels not only can they contend in '15, but they HAVE to contend in '15 -- within financial constraints, of course. Maybe they felt the market for offensive players was going to skyrocket after a poor offensive year, and they thought Cuddyer was a value despite the pick.

Comment

Cuddyer has solid old man skills. He also has old man health. 2/21 mitigates some of the risk, but at the cost of a top 15 draft pick? Meh

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Cuddyer has solid old man skills. He also has old man health. 2/21 mitigates some of the risk, but at the cost of a top 15 draft pick? Meh
                  On MLB Network Radio, Jim Bowden said it was a bad business decision for the Mets, a bad business decision for Cuddyer, but a good baseball decision for the both of them. I completely agree with him.

Yeah, he does have old man skills and health, but could they have landed another solid LFer for a 2-year, $21m contract?

And does it make more sense to trade one of their "almost there" prospects (Montero, Syndergaard, etc.) for that guy in place of the pick? Not sure.

Comment

Cuddyer hasn't played 150 games since 2010...he's a bad investment for the Mets. As ELD pointed out, there's at least a few free agents out there that would stack up comparably to Cuddy, I'd much rather have Torii. The money is irrelevant, the pick is not.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Heyman predicts Rios will only get a 1-yr deal, but I can't see that happening. The Mets have been rumored to land Cuddyer for awhile so clearly they see something there. The Met bloggers all seem to be in favor of the deal, fwiw.

Comment

I think Cuddyer would have been a good fit for KC or Baltimore. But apparently he's good friends with Wright.

Funny that everybody's worried about his age, and he's replacing two Youngs (Chris & Eric).
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                        X