Curse of the Colonel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse of the Colonel

The Hanshin Tigers currently are playing for the Japan League crown (series tied 1-1). They seem to loosely resemble the Chicago Cubs, including a supposed curse. I think this article is hilarious:

There also is a recent article describing this at http://baseballcontinuum.com/2014/10...f-the-colonel/ but I think the wikipedia article is funnier. As the article notes, the statue (most of it) has been recovered, and it is currently displayed near the Tigers' home park, Koshien Stadium. You can find pictures of it on the web, which I also think is hilarious. Randy Bass (born the same day I was!) I believe currently is in the state legislature in Oklahoma.

That is pretty awesome. However...

1. It's only been 19 years. Come back and talk to the Cubs fans in another 80.

2. They signed Hideki Irabu on purpose. So they kind of deserve whatever they get.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      That is pretty awesome. However...

1. It's only been 19 years. Come back and talk to the Cubs fans in another 80.

2. They signed Hideki Irabu on purpose. So they kind of deserve whatever they get.
      Yeah, not nearly as long as the Cubs, but it's been 29 years since their last title, not 19. And there are only 12 teams in the Japan League so 29 years is about 2.5 times the number of teams, so equivalent to about 75 years for MLB.

Comment

And the curse continues. Hanshin loses the series to the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks 4-1, dropping the final game 1-0. The colonel wants his left hand back before he'll break the curse!

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Yeah, not nearly as long as the Cubs, but it's been 29 years since their last title, not 19. And there are only 12 teams in the Japan League so 29 years is about 2.5 times the number of teams, so equivalent to about 75 years for MLB.
          Except the Cubs curse survived from 1909 to 1961 with only 16 teams in the league, or 53 years. Only 4 more teams and 24 years longer.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            Except the Cubs curse survived from 1909 to 1961 with only 16 teams in the league, or 53 years. Only 4 more teams and 24 years longer.
            Right. Cubs futility streak much longer. But they seem like Japan's version of the Cubs not only because of the streak but also because there's a supposed curse involved and they are a very popular team in spite of their sub-par on-field play. And they also play in a revered old stadium like the Cubs do - Koshien Stadium, where they hold the famous HS tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Right. Cubs futility streak much longer. But they seem like Japan's version of the Cubs not only because of the streak but also because there's a supposed curse involved and they are a very popular team in spite of their sub-par on-field play. And they also play in a revered old stadium like the Cubs do - Koshien Stadium, where they hold the famous HS tournaments.
              I was just disputing your "equivalent to about 75 years for MLB" hypothesis.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
              X