Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should the team salary be for the Cubs this next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should the team salary be for the Cubs this next year?

Big market team. Should have stashed some money these last few years. Current Salary about $65M for 2015. They claim to be buyers. How much should they spend in the FA market this off season?

Theo has stated that they will go after a front line pitcher and another solid pitcher to add to the staff.

Of course Cubs fans want them to spend the money wisely. That part is not up to us. What should the budget be for this big market team?

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Tree fiddy
    Sadly we are not the Dodgers.

Comment

hmmm ... re: other starting pitcher - how about Mark Buehrle for your hotshot catching propsect? I'm sure we'd even cover part of his salary.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        hmmm ... re: other starting pitcher - how about Mark Buehrle for your hotshot catching propsect? I'm sure we'd even cover part of his salary.
        I sure would hope not. Theo will buy the other pitcher in free agency.

Comment

But seriously, it depends.....

I'm guessing you and other Cubs fans want to take a run at Scherzer or Lester or Shields, right? I guess that would make some sense. The Cubs are short on young pitching talent when compared to their young hitting talent, that's for sure. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to slide on in to the $100M range with a couple FA signings. I'd imagine that amount could theoretically increase dramatically with some improvement over the next couple years.
          Yes at least one! I think they should get two of that group or at least not lose them because they did not bid high enough.

In order for the Cubs to be in the top 10 salary position using 2014 figures they would have to bump their salary to just over $132M (9th place). Should be enough for two of those guys with a lot left over for improvements.

Comment

So is $134m a fair amount to expect for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Of course Cubs fans want them to spend the money wisely. That part is not up to us. What should the budget be for this big market team?
              It depends. Do you believe with two front-line SPs added that you'll can make a run at a title in 2015 or 2016? Then you drop some mondo coin and get two of Max, Lester, and Shields. Look for some smart FA moves to further bolster the bullpen, too.

Of course, I hope you build up to over $100MM by doing things like trading for Ethier.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                It depends. Do you believe with two front-line SPs added that you'll can make a run at a title in 2015 or 2016? Then you drop some mondo coin and get two of Max, Lester, and Shields. Look for some smart FA moves to further bolster the bullpen, too.

Of course, I hope you build up to over $100MM by doing things like trading for Ethier.
                I do believe that. If they spend $40m a year for two of those it still leaves a $30M a year spend just to get in the top ten.

I think that Cubs ownership needs to be in the top 10 in salary unless of course they are winning without it. Waiting days need to be over.

And I am terrified that Ethier is ending up on the Cubs roster.

Comment

I'm sure you could just literally have Ethier for nothing. It's not like he's worthless - he's just way overpaid. In fact, Ethier generally provides about the same WAR as your boy Starlin Castro when he plays full time.
                  Which is why I really, really want us to trade Castro for something good this off season.

That said Castro has more value as he plays a tougher position. In real or fantasy I take Castro over a free Ethier all day long.

Comment

WAR takes positional scarcity into consideration. That just means that if all positions were considered equal, Ethier would be far more valuable than Castro. As it is, Castro gets a massive bump for playing shortstop and Ethier takes a big hit for playing outfield (although he can play multiple OF slots). If Castro played a different position, he'd have practically no value at all.
                    Everyone knows that
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                    X