No announcement yet.

World Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, that didn't seem to be your point, and if you think that Pele was just out there like Minnie Minoso in his 50s - no.
    I got to see Pele play. peak? no. but
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
      sure you can. he was worse in the 70's.
      He was worse when he made a movie with Sly Stallone. Very worse.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        well, that didn't seem to be your point, and if you think that Pele was just out there like Minnie Minoso in his 50s - no.
        Yeah ... I got to see a lot of legendary players in testimonials when I was a kid, some near the end of the their career, others a long time after they retired ... but it was still a thrill. George Best, Kenny Dalglish, Franz Beckenbauer ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          well, that didn't seem to be your point, and if you think that Pele was just out there like Minnie Minoso in his 50s - no.

You know what I meant. No need to nitpick.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• This is awesome ... Ted Lasso's comeback

Last years video:

Last edited by johnnya24; 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• You gotta love lawyers don't ya:

"A Colombian lawyer is suing Fifa for 1bn Euros for moral damages caused by the refereeing at the World Cup.

74-year-old Aurelio Jimenez claims he was taken to hospital with cardiac and respiratory problems as a result of Colombia's 2-1 defeat to Brazil in the quarter-final - a match in which Colombian defender Mario Yepes had a goal disallowed and James Rodriguez was booked.

Jimenez says: "I decided to sue Fifa because in the World Cup there were many wrongdoings related to referees who damaged many countries , among them the Colombia team that suffered the corruption of referee Antonio Velasco Carballo, who annulled a fair goal of Mario Alberto Yepes.

"I felt very bad, I was heartbroken, my cardiac rhythm was altered and my relatives took me to the Emergency Room at the Hospital. I was surrounded by my grandchildren who were crying a lot."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                You gotta love lawyers don't ya:
                He should be disbarred.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Next level diving

Comment

• I'm not sure what the odds were on the USA not qualifying for at least a play off ... but damn. Such a shame ... Chile, Holland and USA definitely not going to Russia, and Italy and European Champions Portugal still have to navigate play offs.

Comment

• Qualifying is more exciting and engrossing than the actual tournament ... but not if you're playing nothing opponents (like the North/Central American region). The World Cup is only 4 weeks every 4 years. Qualifying lasts 3/4 years.

This is also why USA and Mexico desperately need a Pan-America qualifying group. 3/4 years of regular games against world class opponents will not only raise the standards, prestige and exposure of the game, but it will also not make that much difference to the qualifying chances of the USA. Sure the top South American teams are among the very best, but considering there will be the same (or more) number of qualifying spots, USA should still expect to qualify. USA should be able to compete with the second tier of South American teams ... and if they hope to rise to the top tier ... you gotta play against top tier.

Constant COMPETITIVE games against Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile ... as well as Mexico ... this is worth more than missing the odd World Cup ... ESPECIALLY if you're gonna miss the World Cup anyway.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 10-11-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• wait, men play this sport? full grown men? I know that women and children do....do they have a big tournament?
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• holy smokes, did you guys see that first Panama goal? If that's what caused my country to get eliminated I'd be a tad miffed!
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X