Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Just skipping next year?

Also, 2022 is the strike year, so we could forget about that season too.
    I am thinking it's going to get far worse before it get's better--that it will stay bad until a vaccine is developed which from what was shared early in the pandemic would be 12-18 months or April to Sept 2021. Then time for the vaccine to start doing it's job and THEN back to some semblance of normal. I really hope I'm wrong, but it just makes too much sense if we are to believe the doctors, that this pandemic is a once in a generational situation which we, as a Nation aren't sufficiently prepared to combat both practically and socially. Again, PLEASE let me be wrong.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• we have cockeyed optimists convinced we can plow through unscathed - and nervous nellies who think it's the end of the world.

in the real world - we just don't know. and that's the one thing that people seem to most hate to admit. so the extremes dominate the conversation.

acknowledgements of uncertainty are very healthful, I think.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        we have cockeyed optimists convinced we can plow through unscathed - and nervous nellies who think it's the end of the world.

in the real world - we just don't know. and that's the one thing that people seem to most hate to admit. so the extremes dominate the conversation.

acknowledgements of uncertainty are very healthful, I think.
        But not very helpful when trying to come to an agreement with two sides that just don't trust each other.

Comment

• So close, relatively, and now MLB won't counter. MLBPA will go back to let us know where and when, and then the owners have to decide whether to impose or just cancel the season. Bleck.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            So close, relatively, and now MLB won't counter. MLBPA will go back to let us know where and when, and then the owners have to decide whether to impose or just cancel the season. Bleck.
            I really can't get any clear information as to whether the owners get to keep the National TV money regardless if there's a season or not. I can't imagine that they do get to keep it, but I also can't see any reason NOT to go with a limited season if that kind of money is at stake.

I'm beginning to think that there might not be a season until after 2022...I hate the owners. Yes, just the owners. The players have such a short career window I don't begrudge them a penny of the pot of gold. It's like in the movies...people pay to see the star so an enormous salary is justified, they don't car who the producer is, and they probably take home as much or more than the actors.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Yep, I don't understand the "both sides" mindset.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I really can't get any clear information as to whether the owners get to keep the National TV money regardless if there's a season or not. I can't imagine that they do get to keep it, but I also can't see any reason NOT to go with a limited season if that kind of money is at stake.

I'm beginning to think that there might not be a season until after 2022...I hate the owners. Yes, just the owners. The players have such a short career window I don't begrudge them a penny of the pot of gold. It's like in the movies...people pay to see the star so an enormous salary is justified, they don't car who the producer is, and they probably take home as much or more than the actors.
                This is what I found from CNBC back in April. They seem to think the broadcast partners won't ask for refunds:
                "Most contracts signed with the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball don’t have clear provisions for media networks to demand refunds on already paid broadcast rights fees, according to familiar with the language of the contracts. While deals do have so-called “force majeure” provisions, or “act of God” clauses that allow for refunds in some cases, pandemics may not be specifically covered.

Even if they are, networks might not enforce them given the long-term importance of their relationships with sports leagues. In the past, when strikes have shortened seasons, media payments for broadcast rights haven’t been refunded. Networks can’t afford to be too aggressive with the NFL and MLB, who can make or break media companies by divvying out their rights to competitors."
                Media networks have paid billions for live sports that they aren't going to broadcast this year. But nobody's pressing the issue yet, as the cable industry is focused on survival.

Comment

• Andrew Cuomo

@NYGovCuomo

As we wait on a decision from the @MLB on the baseball season, I'm excited to announce that the @Yankees
                  and the @Mets will resume their training here in New York for the first time in years. NY will review the teams' plans to make sure the trainings are safe.

12:45 PM · Jun 20, 2020
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Andrew Cuomo

@NYGovCuomo

As we wait on a decision from the @MLB on the baseball season, I'm excited to announce that the @Yankees
                    and the @Mets will resume their training here in New York for the first time in years. NY will review the teams' plans to make sure the trainings are safe.

12:45 PM · Jun 20, 2020
                    Crazy how quickly things change with this. NY was corded off as plague island just last month, now it is one of the safer states to be in.

Comment

• Players waiting a couple of days to vote on the proposal due to the virus surging among the teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Players waiting a couple of days to vote on the proposal due to the virus surging among the teams.
                        Never ignore Fauci. His comment on football not happening outside of a bubble seems to be on the mark, too. Events may overtake all the petty bickering.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Yep, I don't understand the "both sides" mindset.
                          So, my view on “share the blame” is pretty simple. There are 2 sides to a negotiation and rarely is it 100% one sides fault when an agreement can’t be made. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that the owners are mostly to blame in these negotiations. I believe the 40-50 game “out clause” is what they wanted all along and yes, I believe there are a significant number of owners who believe it would be in their best financial interest to not play a season at all. Yes, I believe they have been dragging their feet to play the least amount of games possible. I blame them.

Where the “share” comes in for me is it seems clear to me the union is also negotiating the next CBA in this negotiation. It seems clear they are pissed about the last several contracts and the owners collusion during free agency and are using that to get as many games as possible which to them only means as much money as possible. Also, they both share in the total lack of perspective of the fans and the crisis. With millions out of work, millions more taking wage cuts or working 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5 which is a pay cut I would hope the players would be willing to find common ground without regard to the next CBA. It seems both sides have to “win” the negotiations and I resent that especially given the current situation.

I do think baseball is dying a slow death. Both sides are missing an opportunity to increase a younger fan base. And even more importantly to me, they both are missing an opportunity to make a statement towards racial equality. In a sport with perhaps the most racist past, how great would it be for baseball to step up and play. Using their status as the only game in town
                          to give hope and draw attention during a medical and racial crisis would have been a grand slam for baseball.

The greedy owners need the greedy players and the greedy players need the greedy owners.
                          They both seem to forget that they both need us passionate fans.

Comment

• Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the MLBPA will take a vote Sunday on whether to accept MLB's proposal of a 60-game season with full prorated pay.
                            Nightengale reported Saturday that the players would wait on a vote as they gather more safety and health information in light of the recent rash of positive COVID-19 test results at spring training sites. However, he's now hearing that they have reversed course and will make a decision Sunday. It appears at this point that the negotiating between the two sides is over and we should have a resolution of some sort before long.

SOURCE: Bob Nightengale on Twitter
                            Jun 21, 2020, 10:57 AM ET

They'd better make this a good father's day for all of us!!!!

Comment

• I find it doubtful that they would accept. It would be caving in at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                I find it doubtful that they would accept. It would be caving in at this point.
                                It would be caving, but they might at this point. The spike in COVID cases among players, you'd think would give them pause, but I suspect at the higher levels, it also makes players realize they should agree to something before owners gain leverage to call the whole thing off, and also that fewer games might not be so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X