Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I don't care who makes the decisions. Every 65 year old is not the same--it's an arbitrary line in the sand. Right is right and wrong is wrong. No matter who's making the choices. That's something many people have forgotten.
    When people are going to die either way, that's simply not true. Your black and white view of reality is perplexing.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      When people are going to die either way, that's simply not true. Your black and white view of reality is perplexing.
      Do you actually ever read what I post or just glean through?

I mentioned in my first response that if these are NOT terminal patients the 65 age choice is arbitrary and if BOTH patients are going to die, why choose the Older patient?

Jesus dude, I get that you don't LIKE what I have to say, but you could at least try to actually read and comprehend it before barking at me.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Do you actually ever read what I post or just glean through?

I mentioned in my first response that if these are NOT terminal patients the 65 age choice is arbitrary and if BOTH patients are going to die, why choose the Older patient?

Jesus dude, I get that you don't LIKE what I have to say, but you could at least try to actually read and comprehend it before barking at me.
        Dude I quoted your response in mine. You have a very black/white view of morality as you've demonstrated too many times to count.

Younger people have greater life expectancies so it makes perfect sense to prioritize them when in full triage mode. You disagree, ok. That doesn't mean you're right.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Dude I quoted your response in mine. You have a very black/white view of morality as you've demonstrated too many times to count.

Younger people have greater life expectancies so it makes perfect sense to prioritize them when in full triage mode. You disagree, ok. That doesn't mean you're right.
          Doesn't mean I'm wrong. And FWIW it doesn't make "perfect sense" it's a lazy arbitrary method used way too many times to determine value.

And you're correct, I suppose I seem to have a rigid sense of what's right and wrong, when the truth is--I just don't agree with your interpretation of the grey areas. I'm sure a pedophile could make a case for having sex with a child, but it's still wrong (yes an extreme example, but you get my drift)

For non terminal patients the 65 age thing is absolutely arbitrary and devoid of anything other than a lazy attempt to make that choice easier.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• My oldest friend just got fired, in the mortgage industry. He has a long history of depression and is acting suicidal now. I tried to talk him down, but he just hung up and said he was going to delete our baseball league (he is the commish). I guess he feels helpless and doing that will give him some outlet for that. If it helps, it helps. I've been through this with him before and he has pulled out of it--I had to talk him down a few times that last time he was fired. This seems worse, as it is piled on his anxiety over all of this in general. I told him this will pass, that his kids need him, all the same stuff. There are things to help and more coming, I said.

He wasn't in the mood to be uplifted. I am hoping he does not become a statistic for deaths caused by this virus by suicide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              My oldest friend just got fired, in the mortgage industry. He has a long history of depression and is acting suicidal now. I tried to talk him down, but he just hung up and said he was going to delete our baseball league (he is the commish). I guess he feels helpless and doing that will give him some outlet for that. If it helps, it helps. I've been through this with him before and he has pulled out of it--I had to talk him down a few times that last time he was fired. This seems worse, as it is piled on his anxiety over all of this in general. I told him this will pass, that his kids need him, all the same stuff. There are things to help and more coming, I said.

He wasn't in the mood to be uplifted. I am hoping he does not become a statistic for deaths caused by this virus by suicide.
              Ugh...that's tragic. Hope all goes well - but remember, you can do all you can do and no more. And I'm sure you're a positive light to him and will hopefully help bring him through.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My oldest friend just got fired, in the mortgage industry. He has a long history of depression and is acting suicidal now. I tried to talk him down, but he just hung up and said he was going to delete our baseball league (he is the commish). I guess he feels helpless and doing that will give him some outlet for that. If it helps, it helps. I've been through this with him before and he has pulled out of it--I had to talk him down a few times that last time he was fired. This seems worse, as it is piled on his anxiety over all of this in general. I told him this will pass, that his kids need him, all the same stuff. There are things to help and more coming, I said.

I hope your friend will be alright. This is a stressful time, too many of my friends are prime candidates for this thing. I have friends In NY, NJ, WA and New Orleans--all the hot spots. I worry for them, I worry for my wife and kids should I get this thing (though I'm not at the mandatory take my mask age--I am almost 60) and I've an autoimmune disorder. So they know my wishes should shit get real here. I stress, which makes my wife stress and even the though of losing a parent makes my kids stress--and then I think of EVERYONE being in the same or WORSE situations and it's no wonder people are struggling emotionally and psychologically. I mean--I'm pretty chill about things and even I had to take time and just hold my head in my hands yesterday.

You seem like a good guy and a good friend, check in on him and do you. I hope things go well. I hate this shit.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Ugh...that's tragic. Hope all goes well - but remember, you can do all you can do and no more. And I'm sure you're a positive light to him and will hopefully help bring him through.
                  Thanks. I hope so. He seems to be reaching out to other mutual friends, so that is a good sign. Means he wants to be uplifted. I'm not always good at this stuff. I tend to try to stay positive, which sometimes pisses people off. This time, I didn't say stuff that would piss him off, but I can't help but think it: his wife's family has some money, and she still works for her dad. They can get through this financially, even if it means lots of debt and tough times. Things will get better eventually. All that stuff, I find sometimes I say these things at the wrong time. Sometimes people want to be depressed/angry. They need time to have those emotions. Me trying to get people to see how it could be worse doesn't always help. My wife has told me that many times--stop trying to show me how things aren't that bad and just listen, she tells me. Not my strong suit. I'm all about solutions.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Is he married, can you reach out to her? Sounds like he needs professional help.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

You seem like a good guy and a good friend, check in on him and do you. I hope things go well. I hate this shit.
                      Thanks. I think you are right about everyone needing time to break down and vent with this stuff. I hope that is all he is doing.

Comment

Is he married, can you reach out to her? Sounds like he needs professional help.
                        I wish I had her number. Or his mom's. We used to be close, but I don't have her number anymore. He does. Has for years. Sees personal and marriage counselors. On all the depression meds. He has also gone through some bad bouts dealing with a coke addiction lately (his current wife got him into it). Kind of a perfect storm. I'm gonna keep checking in on him.

Comment

I wish I had her number. Or his mom's. We used to be close, but I don't have her number anymore. He does. Has for years. Sees personal and marriage counselors. On all the depression meds. He has also gone through some bad bouts dealing with a coke addiction lately (his current wife got him into it). Kind of a perfect storm. I'm gonna keep checking in on him.
                          Yikes...best of luck.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Doesn't mean I'm wrong. And FWIW it doesn't make "perfect sense" it's a lazy arbitrary method used way too many times to determine value.

And you're correct, I suppose I seem to have a rigid sense of what's right and wrong, when the truth is--I just don't agree with your interpretation of the grey areas. I'm sure a pedophile could make a case for having sex with a child, but it's still wrong (yes an extreme example, but you get my drift)

For non terminal patients the 65 age thing is absolutely arbitrary and devoid of anything other than a lazy attempt to make that choice easier.
                            Using life expectancy is more arbitrary than date of hospitalization? Uh, wrong.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Using life expectancy is more arbitrary than date of hospitalization? Uh, wrong.
                              If I get in line before you, I'm entitled to things before you. If I want to be magnanimous and allow you to go fist, that's my choice not someone else's.

BTW how long you might live is an arbitrary valuation. there are many other factors that have merit over simply the ability to live longer. Again, it's a lazy choice, but people are lazy and don't want to have to deal with real choices and hard decisions. Thus we get this and people who justify it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If I get in line before you, I'm entitled to things before you. If I want to be magnanimous and allow you to go fist, that's my choice not someone else's.

BTW how long you might live is an arbitrary valuation. there are many other factors that have merit over simply the ability to live longer. Again, it's a lazy choice, but people are lazy and don't want to have to deal with real choices and hard decisions. Thus we get this and people who justify it.
                                Hilarious that you think "1st come 1st serve" is a defensible moral code in this situation. Calculating life expectancy is a billion dollar industry and is certainly not lazier than place in line. Gee, should the hospitals instead be taking inventory of the person's life to determine whether their life has more "value"?

Arguing with you is worse than pointless because I actually feel dumber.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X