No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my first shot today. So far so good. Only thing I should have done differently was wear a looser shirt of a short sleeve one. It is still cold up here and the shirt I was wearing did not roll up high enough easily. I didn't realize the shot was so high on the arm. Hopefully in three weeks it will be warm and I'll be in a tshirt so no issues. Also, I had to spell my mother's maiden name and now remember it even though I don't think I spelled it right. I'm told that helps the system somehow, cuz their are so many people here. Shrug. The shot itself was painless an quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Yeah, my university requires tests, but not vaccines. The only way, I think, vaccines can be required is if the FDA fully approves one of the vaccines. I am not sure they will by the fall.
      I got an email from my older daughter's school:

As we prepare to reopen our campuses safely and responsibly, we are confident that vaccinations are essential to our community’s health and our return to in-person learning, living, and co-curricular activities in the fall. Following the recommendations of the CDC, We will require that all students coming to our campuses be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the fall semester. We will allow exceptions on a case-by-case basis for students with qualifying medical or religious reasons. Where exceptions are granted, the university may require additional COVID-19 testing, social and access restrictions, quarantining, and other requirements or limitations. Please note that vaccine requirements are not new: the university also mandates vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I got an email from my older daughter's school:

As we prepare to reopen our campuses safely and responsibly, we are confident that vaccinations are essential to our community’s health and our return to in-person learning, living, and co-curricular activities in the fall. Following the recommendations of the CDC, We will require that all students coming to our campuses be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the fall semester. We will allow exceptions on a case-by-case basis for students with qualifying medical or religious reasons. Where exceptions are granted, the university may require additional COVID-19 testing, social and access restrictions, quarantining, and other requirements or limitations. Please note that vaccine requirements are not new: the university also mandates vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella.
        I'd feel better if we required them on my campus for the fall, but what I was told in the most recent chairs and directors meeting was not to hold our breath for that, even though Cali is already saying they will do it, and I've read conflicting reports on the legality of doing so. Of course, things can change, but the difference between COVID vaccines and the ones mentioned in your email is that those vaccines have FDA approval. When I just got my first shot, the forms I got were very clear that I was taking an unapproved vaccine and had all the warnings associated with that. I find it hard to believe that Cali's decision will not be challenged between now in the fall, and it seems that a challenge would have legs without FDA approval.

If I were betting on the outcome, my wager would depend entirely on if/when the first COVID vaccine will get full FDA approval. If one or more vaccines get full approval, my understanding is that they can absolutely be required. I assume Cali is banking on that with this decision, and maybe they are right. We now have tons of data on the vaccines, so it would not surprise me if at least one of them gets the full approval by then. But if they are not, I just don't know. I can't find a definitive answer on it (I have read articles that claim states can require them and a lot of other sources say they cannot). Any legal experts want to weigh in? Is this a state by state legal issue or a federal one? Logic suggests to me that a state cannot mandate something that has not be approved as safe (despite the large amount of evidence that it is).
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-26-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I'd feel better if we required them on my campus for the fall, but what I was told in the most recent chairs and directors meeting was not to hold our breath for that, even though Cali is already saying they will do it, and I've read conflicting reports on the legality of doing so. Of course, things can change, but the difference between COVID vaccines and the ones mentioned in your email is that those vaccines have FDA approval. When I just got my first shot, the forms I got were very clear that I was taking an unapproved vaccine and had all the warnings associated with that. I find it hard to believe that Cali's decision will not be challenged between now in the fall, and it seems that a challenge would have legs without FDA approval.

If I were betting on the outcome, my wager would depend entirely on if/when the first COVID vaccine will get full FDA approval. If one or more vaccines get full approval, my understanding is that they can absolutely be required. I assume Cali is banking on that with this decision, and maybe they are right. We now have tons of data on the vaccines, so it would not surprise me if at least one of them gets the full approval by then. But if they are not, I just don't know. I can't find a definitive answer on it (I have read articles that claim states can require them and a lot of other sources say they cannot). Any legal experts want to weigh in? Is this a state by state legal issue or a federal one? Logic suggests to me that a state cannot mandate something that has not be approved as safe (despite the large amount of evidence that it is).
          Just to clarify, the email I copied was from a private school. May be different for public ?
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Just to clarify, the email I copied was from a private school. May be different for public ?
            That could be. I hope one of our lawyer posters will verify. But it all may not matter, as I'm reading that full approval just takes 6 months of data, and we will get there sometime in the second half of the year (but that happening by August seems to be a long shot). Once that happens, I believe mandates will be legal for state schools, and overall vaccine hesitancy may go down and we get a few more folks taking them. I'm thinking there is a good shot that when it is all said and done, we will end up with about 75% of adults vaccinated. Having 1/4 of adults not vaccinate is not ideal, but hopefully the efficacy rates stay high (they are still over 90% for Pzifer and Moderna) and they gets us where we need to be. Obviously more will be better, but as we get closer to herd immunity, I think it is less likely those who really don't want to get vaccinated will, because the falling numbers will give them one more reason not to.

This link explains the process. It looks like both Pzizer annd Moderna already have over 6 months of data, so the ball is rolling, and once that is done, the law is clear that mandates can be made.
            https://www.10news.com/news/coronavi...es-competition

From the article: "There is a lot of legal debate about whether companies or colleges and universities can require people to get a vaccine that only has emergency authorization. But it becomes clear cut once a vaccine has full approval: they can."

"Typically it takes the FDA about six months to review a licensure application for a high-priority drug. Pfizer said it expects to apply in the first half of 2021, and it expects a decision from the FDA in the second half of the year."

Comment

• California Jr Colleges just let students know, fall 21 will be online again.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Got my 2nd shot yesterday. Again, no side effects besides a slightly sore shoulder.

Comment

• Second Shot Today, was tired and achy last shot--we'll see what this one brings...........
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Second Shot Today, was tired and achy last shot--we'll see what this one brings...........
                    Not as tired or achy, but enough to make staying in bed the thing to do.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Second shot today, I feel great and my cellphone reception has never been better

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Second shot today, I feel great and my cellphone reception has never been better
                        just wait for when microsoft pushes an update... they can be disorienting.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          just wait for when microsoft pushes an update... they can be disorienting.
                          I have T Mobile so I'm already 5GTG

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• My 14-year old got the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.

Comment

• Here in Ohio
                              You could win a million dollars if vaccinated
                              Or if a teenager a free college education

Comment

• I got my second shot today and when I got up after the shot, I told the nurse I love her, for some reason. They got a good laugh out of it, even though I tried to play it off as I meant to say it, and that I love them all for the work they are doing .

Comment

Working...
                                X