Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB survey: What's the one thing you would change about baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB survey: What's the one thing you would change about baseball?

So the MLB sent me this survey via email. Most of it is BS about how you watch the game and how often you attend games, but there is one good open-ended question asking: If you could change one thing about the on-field game, what would it be?

My answer is below but so super disappointing there was nowhere to rant about the antiquated horrible blackout rules regarding MLB.tv

Here's the link if you want to participate: https://mlb.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo...BWqfhDg3Ryrnqm

Now, at the risk of self-disqualification, I put a two-part answer to the question above:
    "Use robo umps for balls and strikes, and remove Angel Hernandez from any aspect of Major League Baseball."

One goes hand-in-glove with the other, am I right?

Agree with robo umps for balls and strikes. It's overdue.

Comment

The ABS system should absolutely be added to the game. I also think that when a call is over turned, the Ump in the replay box should have to forward the video they used to do so and allow teams to play them for the fans if they choose to do so.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Do I get two things if the first thing I'd do would be to fire Angel Hernandez?
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I expect if/when the ABS system comes to the major leagues that it will likely be the challenge system, where each team gets certain limited number of challenges to the umpire's ball/strike calls, rather than a full replacement of the home plate umpire's judgment with the machine. Otherwise you would be radically changing the nature of position of catcher, to one where you don't have to care how the catcher receives the ball, or with the bases empty, whether he catches the pitches at all, and offensively it quickly becomes a position similar to right field.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Hopefully we are taking the first steps toward this, but I would like Minor League players to be treated better.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Do I get two things if the first thing I'd do would be to fire Angel Hernandez?
              watching the Astros - Orioles game I can't believe anyone is worse than Lance Barrett.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                watching the Astros - Orioles game I can't believe anyone is worse than Lance Barrett.
                hold my beer, says whoever is umpiring the braves-phillies games
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  I expect if/when the ABS system comes to the major leagues that it will likely be the challenge system, where each team gets certain limited number of challenges to the umpire's ball/strike calls, rather than a full replacement of the home plate umpire's judgment with the machine.
                  This would be a mistake. The issue is Umpire accountability. everyone else in MLB is pretty much accountable to the press, the fans et al. Except the Umps. They can influence the outcome of a game with NO accountability. Players train to know the zone--they shouldn't be expected to accommodate every umps specific/different zone and THEN get tossed for arguing what they know to be a bad call. So a guy like Hedges gets minimalized in the process, others will benefit from the openings behind the plate.

Umps need to be held publicly accountable or be preplaced.

BTW get rid of the Blackout policy--it sucks.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    This would be a mistake. The issue is Umpire accountability. everyone else in MLB is pretty much accountable to the press, the fans et al. Except the Umps. They can influence the outcome of a game with NO accountability. Players train to know the zone--they shouldn't be expected to accommodate every umps specific/different zone and THEN get tossed for arguing what they know to be a bad call. So a guy like Hedges gets minimalized in the process, others will benefit from the openings behind the plate.

Umps need to be held publicly accountable or be preplaced.

BTW get rid of the Blackout policy--it sucks.
                    I'll take the other side on this. Keeping the integrity of the catching position is crucial. Knowing they can be challenged on a bad call and embarrassed if it is overturned should result in umpire accountability, especially when ample games have been played to compare the number of overturned calls for each umpire. Sure, stats like that are tracked, and used by gamblers and DFS players, but that's not the same as having to publicly see a ball/strike call reversed.
                    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                      I'll take the other side on this. Keeping the integrity of the catching position is crucial. Knowing they can be challenged on a bad call and embarrassed if it is overturned should result in umpire accountability, especially when ample games have been played to compare the number of overturned calls for each umpire. Sure, stats like that are tracked, and used by gamblers and DFS players, but that's not the same as having to publicly see a ball/strike call reversed.
                      I'll take your word on the assertion that catcher integrity is crucial. But has the current replay/challenge system done anything but antagonize Umps? They seem non pulsed at the best when a call is overturned and sometimes agitated when they get it wrong. I can't imagine that will be any better in their sacred zone of calling balls and strikes.

Now I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but say they toss a player after a bad call, then it's over turned--does the p[layer get to come back? Will the ump be removed from behind the plate like he incorrectly tried to remove the player from the game for HIS mistake?? I gyuess I want slightly more than accountability--I want them humbled. I want them relegated to equipment status, IMO they facilitate the game and nothing more.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'll take your word on the assertion that catcher integrity is crucial. But has the current replay/challenge system done anything but antagonize Umps? They seem non pulsed at the best when a call is overturned and sometimes agitated when they get it wrong. I can't imagine that will be any better in their sacred zone of calling balls and strikes.

Now I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but say they toss a player after a bad call, then it's over turned--does the p[layer get to come back? Will the ump be removed from behind the plate like he incorrectly tried to remove the player from the game for HIS mistake?? I gyuess I want slightly more than accountability--I want them humbled. I want them relegated to equipment status, IMO they facilitate the game and nothing more.
                        Calling balls and strikes is a different realm than outs on the bases. Plus, base reviews aren't that frequent. There will probably be multiple ball/strike challenges a game.

As for the ejection concern, batters will no doubt be instructed to be calm and signal for a challenge as opposed to losing it right away. As it is now, hitters are rarely tossed for arguing a call.
                        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          hold my beer, says whoever is umpiring the braves-phillies games
                          There might be worse balls/strikes home plate umpires than Angel, but no one combines the incompetence x arrogance factor to a higher number.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If you are running the Padres and are told that a full ABS system is being implemented in MLB next year, who do you choose to play the catcher position and what stance do you have them use?

And say that in the same hypothetical, all 60 or so current MLB catchers are made free agents, how many of them have MLB jobs next year?
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Catcher's defensive jobs in an ABS world:

- work cohesively and in synch with pitchers
                              - pitch calling
                              - curtail base running
                              - minimize passed balls and wild pitches
                              - tags at the plate
                              - catch pop flys
                              - throw batters out on dunks/squibs

Should there even be such a thing as pitch framing? Yes, it's a skill, but a skill at deception that often results in an incorrect call. Framing is not an exciting game event; I'd rather have the correct call made.

Comment

Working...
                              X