Effect of 'short' league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effect of 'short' league

I posted before, some guys are starting a new AL league. Trying for 12 teams, may get only ten.

I read two opposite things. ONe said that 'short' leagues increase the price of middle players because good bottom level players are really cheap. High priced players stay the same.

The other said that high priced players go for even more, because guys have relatively more money to spend because of bargains at the bottom. So you should plan to go an extra three or four dollars on the really top players.

I looked to see if there were other threads on this but found nothing. Does someone have an opinion.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Spend more on the best players

Comment

studs go more because dollar day/replacement level talent is strong
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        I posted before, some guys are starting a new AL league. Trying for 12 teams, may get only ten.

I read two opposite things. ONe said that 'short' leagues increase the price of middle players because good bottom level players are really cheap. High priced players stay the same.

The other said that high priced players go for even more, because guys have relatively more money to spend because of bargains at the bottom. So you should plan to go an extra three or four dollars on the really top players.

I looked to see if there were other threads on this but found nothing. Does someone have an opinion.
        Only leagues are a bit different though...if it's a 10 teamer, yes, spend more on the studs. if it's a 12 teamer, treat it as a 14-15 team mixed. That's my opinion...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Only leagues are a bit different though...if it's a 10 teamer, yes, spend more on the studs. if it's a 12 teamer, treat it as a 14-15 team mixed. That's my opinion...
          This x10

If you look at what is left for 2nd C, MI, or 5th OF in a 12 team only league, replacement level is very low in ONLY league. I've found that in an only league it's very important to have $s left at the end or you simply don't have enough guys getting ABs and innings to keep up in the counting stats.

Comment

Great topic here. The only league I've competed in over the past 20 years has been a 4X4 AL Only with 8 teams and 9 teams for the past three years. I've always had trouble correlating this leagues pricing to the values listed for AL Only leagues on CBS. Last year I bought Trout as the highest paid player in our league for $55. I made some poor decisions while trying to assemble a bargain basement pitching staff. Sonny Gray for $22 didn't help me. Baseball can't start soon enough!

Comment

Working...
            X